Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

6 hours ago, tragenvol said:

Talking heads, Tony Meola and Brian Dunseth  on Sirius XM FC's afternoon national show Counterattack, yesterday pretty much said Nashville is a given for one of the four expansion slots.  I will be surprised if not, but first things first...let's hope the City Council passes this measure.

Interestingly enough the other three cities given as expansion winners would be Detroit, Cincinnati (especially given a move to Austin by Columbus) and Tampa Bay.  Where's Sacramento?  

A Columbus Crew move to Austin kills any chance for San Antonio; also interesting....CEO of Columbus Crew ownership group sits on, if not chairs, the MLS expansion committee.

All this optimism being thrown our way from the national soccer press is making me nervous. I keep wondering if it is a smokescreen by the MLS committee to push Detroit into tying up all their loose ends and closing the deal on acquiring a franchise. And I still don't see where Sacramento is not number 1. They are moving dirt on their stadium site, for crying out loud.

If this noise is indeed just a ploy, and it must have come from some source deep inside the MLS, then it would be some of the shadiest deal making possible. Why would a city want to invest in a second round of hoop jumping when the league had no intention of awarding a franchise to an applicant who has, at great expense and effort, met every measure of readiness.

Ok. I'm stepping off the ledge, now. Chill!!   :tw_cookie:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PHofKS said:

All this optimism being thrown our way from the national soccer press is making me nervous. I keep wondering if it is a smokescreen by the MLS committee to push Detroit into tying up all their loose ends and closing the deal on acquiring a franchise. And I still don't see where Sacramento is not number 1. They are moving dirt on their stadium site, for crying out loud.

If this noise is indeed just a ploy, and it must have come from some source deep inside the MLS, then it would be some of the shadiest deal making possible. Why would a city want to invest in a second round of hoop jumping when the league had no intention of awarding a franchise to an applicant who has, at great expense and effort, met every measure of readiness.

Ok. I'm stepping off the ledge, now. Chill!!   :tw_cookie:

Garber mentions same four MLS expansion cities he singled out at ASG: Nashville, Cincinnati, Sacramento, Detroit.

https://twitter.com/pkedit/status/923258532610428929

We're going to be ok assuming everything goes well at the council meeting. I'm pretty sure we would be the first city ready to move dirt on a new stadium. 

Edited by Titans10
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, SoundScan said:

Citation needed.

Ordinarily, I'd give political examples, but I'll cite something that isn't and more relatable for everyone...

Ebay, for example, recently decided to change your ability to view 200 items from a given category and instead made it just 48 or 50. So instead of having to scroll through one or two pages to see a day's worth of items ending, you've now got to go through 8 or more. And no way to change it back. Complaints fell on deaf ears.

They also decided to change the feedback pages so that it's not only out of order of purchase, but you've got to go through every single item instead of having them neatly lined up in a row of 25 or more, meaning it takes 10 times as long to enter in feedback as it was before. There's more change for you.

My personal favorite was Google changing the way you viewed and utilized maps early last year from a great, easy and convenient way from launch. Now it's worse than ever to navigate, plan and just take a "stroll."

Some premier examples of change from "works just fine" to viscerally inconvenient, unneeded, unnecessary and lousy. To paraphrase a political slogan, "I'll keep my stuff, you keep the change."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fieldmarshaldj said:

Ordinarily, I'd give political examples, but I'll cite something that isn't and more relatable for everyone...

Ebay, for example, recently decided to change your ability to view 200 items from a given category and instead made it just 48 or 50. So instead of having to scroll through one or two pages to see a day's worth of items ending, you've now got to go through 8 or more. And no way to change it back. Complaints fell on deaf ears.

They also decided to change the feedback pages so that it's not only out of order of purchase, but you've got to go through every single item instead of having them neatly lined up in a row of 25 or more, meaning it takes 10 times as long to enter in feedback as it was before. There's more change for you.

My personal favorite was Google changing the way you viewed and utilized maps early last year from a great, easy and convenient way from launch. Now it's worse than ever to navigate, plan and just take a "stroll."

Some premier examples of change from "works just fine" to viscerally inconvenient, unneeded, unnecessary and lousy. To paraphrase a political slogan, "I'll keep my stuff, you keep the change."

Good points, FMDJ.  I too have had some trouble with the latest google maps update and got seriously lost a couple weeks ago when I was trying to find this garage sale.  Luckily I had my compass with me. 

Now let's talk soccer!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, fieldmarshaldj said:

Your google maps comment made me think of this one; XP and Windows 7 (lets forget Vista ever happened between those two) to Windows 8 and 10.  That was a HUGE change for the WORSE.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Two words: NEW COKE

(If you’re under 50, you probably have no idea. It was NOT a change for the better!)

I know we're getting waayyy off topic here, but...

New Coke actually turned out to be the best thing to happen to Coca Cola.  Pepsi was winning the cola wars (anyone remember their taste test challenges?), and Coca Cola's internal polls showed the same results as Pepsi's taste tests.  So Coca Cola came out with New Coke.  There was such outrage, that when Coca Cola brought back its original formula Coke ("Coke Classic"), sales surged, and a grateful nation got reintroduced to Coca Cola.  Coke's sales leapfrogged past Pepsi's, and Coca Cola has been number one ever since.  So while the original change was initially disastrous, it turned out to be a boon for Coca Cola.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Titans10 said:

Garber mentions same four MLS expansion cities he singled out at ASG: Nashville, Cincinnati, Sacramento, Detroit.

We're going to be ok assuming everything goes well at the council meeting. I'm pretty sure we would be the first city ready to move dirt on a new stadium. 

Sacramento has already begun initial construction. 

Does anyone know if Cincinnati has the Kentucky site lined up (and financed) for construction? I do not think that any of the Cincinnati proper sites have finalized financing plans. 

Edited by nashvylle

47 minutes ago, Titans10 said:

So here's what I think happens, Nashville and Sacramento are the first two, which will keep the league balanced and also piss off Cincinnati fans giving them and us an instant rival in the USL and future rival in the MLS, then Detroit and Cincinnati join and Columbus moves to Austin and joins the west and the league is still balanced.  We will have two instant rivals in Cincinnati and Atlanta and it will make Nashville an instant road trip destination for opposing fans. 

I like it.

On 10/26/2017 at 8:08 PM, Titans10 said:

I never had any doubts about Nashville and Detroit landing a franchise.

I didn't really consider Cincinnati a strong candidate due to the team in Columbus, but with that team now relocating to Austin, that changes things.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nightranger36 said:

After further check,it seems the former organization sold the name,logo,and colors to the current owners.They then decided to change it to SC.I don't know why.I agree with Nashville FC,tho.

Nashville FC is a youth club, they had the name long before the amateur club or the USL/MLS organization.

http://www.nashvillefcyouth.com/

The NPSL Nashville FC was using the same name, but when they sold to the USL/MLS group the latter decided to change the name to head off any copyright concerns (not that there was an issue at the moment).

I personally like "soccer" better, it marks the clubs as North American in origin. We need more regional flavor, there are already too many teams who try to emulate global names (cf. Real Salt Lake, DC United, Houston Dynamo, etc.). More SCs, more 70s NASL team names, please.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, urbanplanet17 said:

I never had any doubts about Nashville and Detroit landing a franchise.

I didn't really consider Cincinnati a strong candidate due to the team in Columbus, but with that team now relocating to Austin, that changes things.

It's not 100% going to happen but it seems very likely. And Cincinnati is a very strong candidate due to their USL teams averaging over 20,000 per match and selling out their 35,000 seat stadium numerous times this season. 

Just now, Titans10 said:

It's not 100% going to happen but it seems very likely. And Cincinnati is a very strong candidate due to their USL teams averaging over 20,000 per match and selling out their 35,000 seat stadium numerous times this season. 

All true, but I can't see a way  Cincy gets a franchise with the Crew still in Columbus two hours up the road.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Soccer pundits were discussing this yesterday afternoon. ...can't blame them.  With Precourt recently sitting on the expansion committee, this gets messy for Garber and MLS....appears Precourt is circumventing the expansion process and the associated franchise fee.

I hope this does not delay franchise award announcements by MLS in mid-December.