Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

3 hours ago, tragenvol said:

All true, but I can't see a way  Cincy gets a franchise with the Crew still in Columbus two hours up the road.

Agreed. It makes sooo much since to relocate a struggling franchise to a city that will work in Austin and then bring FC Cincinnati up to MLS, everyone wins, except for the 10,000 Columbus fans. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Skepticism remains among some Metro council members towards the soccer stadium deal:

http://www.nashvillescene.com/news/article/20981033/skepticism-about-development-at-fairgrounds-remains

I can understand what they're saying.  You're giving the team the land to build the stadium and some $$ on top of that (right?)...so why not then let the city try and recoup some of that by selling that land to the highest bidder instead of throwing it in?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Yes it would be best if the 10 acres were not included, but not if the whole proposal doesn't go through. 

I can't imagine that being a deal breaker for the owners of the team.  I would imagine they're in more of the "beggars can't be choosers" category unless they have a plan B location.  With a December deadline, I would imagine the city can take away the 10 acres and the team would have no recourse.

On 10/28/2017 at 2:07 PM, Titans10 said:

Atlanta United may have lost their first playoff match and are done for the season, regardless the MLS and the city of Atlanta are the real winners this season

lReUjUs.jpg

I say we skip this round of expansion, build a domed stadium next to Adelphia, and then have both the MLS team and the Titans play in our brand new domed stadium.  Then Nashville can make a run at the SEC Championship Game as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nightranger36 said:

Get ready for the talk of a domed stadium in the next few years.The titans lease is up in 2028 and the titans and the city may try to go that direction.Could be another big tax item to fight over.

They will probably try to pull one of those stadium "complex" shakedowns like the L.A. Rams and Atlanta Braves did where they include residential, entertainment, hotels, and restaurants.

12 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

I would not support hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars for a domed stadium for the benefit of wealthy team owner and million dollar players. Enough, already! 

Like nightranger36 said, it's coming.  The stadium talk will begin within the next decade.  Build a new stadium or the team moves.  I am not a Titans fan but I know this city will not want to give up an NFL franchise.  If we were smart we would figure out a way to get the MLS team to share the Titans stadium instead of building a separate stadium for them.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, nashwatcher said:

No one else is proposing a development like this in this area.

They might if they knew a soccer stadium was going in next door, which I think is the point. The stadium itself is the catalyst for development, not the ten acres thrown in, so why not see who else is willing to pay for it? Metro is already footing the bill for too much in assisting with the stadium in the first place, no reason to continue that by handing out real estate for free.

• Like 4

On 11/1/2017 at 5:45 AM, grilled_cheese said:

Like nightranger36 said, it's coming.  The stadium talk will begin within the next decade.  Build a new stadium or the team moves.  I am not a Titans fan but I know this city will not want to give up an NFL franchise.  If we were smart we would figure out a way to get the MLS team to share the Titans stadium instead of building a separate stadium for them.

Let them move! (Or build their own damn stadium)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, urbanplanet17 said:

And they are bringing in the Ford family who own the Lions, so the MLS team would not be just a sub-lease team in the stadium. However, it would not be an open air venue.

Initially I think this helps strengthen Nashville's chances for a franchise.  That means Nashville is proposing an open air, right-sized soccer-only venue and Detroit is proposing 'Plan B'. 

Cincy doesn't even have plan 'B'.

Edited by PHofKS
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, PHofKS said:

And they are bringing in the Ford family who own the Lions, so the MLS team would not be just a sub-lease team in the stadium. However, it would not be an open air venue.

Initially I think this helps strengthen Nashville's chances for a franchise.  That means Nashville is proposing an open air, right-sized soccer-only venue and Detroit is proposing 'Plan B'. 

Cincy doesn't even have plan 'B'.

There's also the issue with the turf at Ford Field that Soccer players hate. Although to be fair, that hasn't been a deterrent in Seattle or Atlanta. 

Edited by urbanplanet17
  • Like 2

Hopefully these changes can be enough for approval by council. I really do think John Ingram is not taking advantage of Nashville taxpayers.. 

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2017/11/03/mayor-barry-makes-last-minute-changes-mls-stadium-proposal-keeps-private-development/828795001/

Reading the last bullet point below, is the vote on Tuesday just for the funding, and then there will be another vote for the demolition?

Before debt is issued for the stadium, the 40-member council would have to approve an ordinance by 27 votes to demolish buildings on the fairgrounds that must be cleared to make way for the stadium