Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

19 hours ago, DDIG said:

Reading between the lines for quite some time, the MLS franchise is ours if we get the stadium deal passed. Doesn't really matter what other cities are doing right now. We miss this opportunity, who knows, 20-30 years till another shot at a major pro franchise?

I'm with you, if not now....probably never for MLS here.

• Like 1

Tom Ingram makes  his case for the most controversial part of the MLS stadium deal. From the Tennessean...

"This is an essential part of our proposal in the private/public partnership," Ingram's letter reads. "It provides an ability to ensure an amazing fun experience as well as provide amenities that would improve the overall experience and bring additional benefits to the neighborhood.

"Additionally, it provides a revenue source to pay debt service and additional funds for the fairgrounds and the city's general fund," he continued. "MLS unequivocally supports a mixed-use environment supporting the stadium and its immediate surrounds."

And don't think Ingram and his ownership group are getting off easy. He still has to pay a $150,000,000 franchise fee if one is awarded, so he has plenty of skin in the game.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, nashvylle said:

The titans stadium, where the city paid for all of the general obligation bonds and left the private development to the private developers (it's still undeveloped), was a much worse deal than this stadium.

Most of the interest payments are guaranteed and the city will receive increased tax revenue from the developments we know will happen. 

please please pass. 

Nissan Stadium was meant to have development around it? I had no idea. How disappointing that it's a surrounded by a sea of parking lots. Does anybody have any pictures/details about this? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, henburg said:

Nissan Stadium was meant to have development around it? I had no idea. How disappointing that it's a surrounded by a sea of parking lots. Does anybody have any pictures/details about this? 

I don't remember anything about development around Nissan Stadium.  I thought it was supposed to be parking for games...and then the huge lot east of the stadium would be the spot for a new stadium in the future (with the spot where the stadium is now being the new parking)?

28 minutes ago, henburg said:

I don’t think Nashvylle was referencing any specific development to be done on an specific parcel. But I remember the general conversation at that time about how the new stadium would likely “transform” the entirety of the East Bank. Nearly twenty years later, barely anything has changed (as far as new construction goes). I think we can all agree we are now on the cusp of huge changes, but I don’t think any of it could be attributed to the stadium. I’m fact, it’s probably going to happen in spite of the stadium. 

Edit; sorry Nashvylle. I wasn’t trying to speak for you. We were posting at the same time. 

Football stadiums are a rare breed though. I think we can all mostly agree that Bridgestone has had a very positive impact on the surrounding area and fits into Broadway very well.  There are many good examples of hockey, baseball, and basketball arenas around the country that fit well into their urban fabric. I can’t think of a single NFL stadium that contributes well to an urban neighborhood. They are typically parking lot wastelands. I don’t know what the expectation should really be. At best, they make a skyline look interesting, but I don’t think they ever provide a new “district”. 

Edited by nashvillwill
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, titanhog said:

I don't remember anything about development around Nissan Stadium.  I thought it was supposed to be parking for games...and then the huge lot east of the stadium would be the spot for a new stadium in the future (with the spot where the stadium is now being the new parking)?

That’s what Atlanta did when they tore down the old Fulton County Stadium when Turner Field was being built before the 1996 olympics. I guess it’s smart, so you don’t have to move the stadium. 

1 hour ago, nashvillwill said:

I don’t think Nashvylle was referencing any specific development to be done on an specific parcel. But I remember the general conversation at that time about how the new stadium would likely “transform” the entirety of the East Bank. Nearly twenty years later, barely anything has changed (as far as new construction goes). I think we can all agree we are now on the cusp of huge changes, but I don’t think any of it could be attributed to the stadium. I’m fact, it’s probably going to happen in spite of the stadium. 

Edit; sorry Nashvylle. I wasn’t trying to speak for you. We were posting at the same time. 

Football stadiums are a rare breed though. I think we can all mostly agree that Bridgestone has had a very positive impact on the surrounding area and fits into Broadway very well.  There are many good examples of hockey, baseball, and basketball arenas around the country that fit well into their urban fabric. I can’t think of a single NFL stadium that contributes well to an urban neighborhood. They are typically parking lot wastelands. I don’t know what the expectation should really be. At best, they make a skyline look interesting, but I don’t think they ever provide a new “district”. 

The metaphor I like to use when I think about the difference between the building of Bridgestone and Nissan stadiums is that one (Bridgestone, being built on Broadway) was like pouring lighter fluid on a low-burning existent fire. The other was like pouring a bunch of lighter fluid on the ground and hoping it eventually caught on fire by itself. 

I honestly wouldn’t mind, when it comes time to build a new football stadium, if they built somewhere out on Briley Pkwy or something instead of where it is now. That land where the stadium currently sits could offer so much more than big parking lots and 8-days-per-year activity. They could do deals with developers to build like 3 or 4 5th+Broadway style projects, or one massive one. 

2 hours ago, nashvillwill said:

There are many good examples of hockey, baseball, and basketball arenas around the country that fit well into their urban fabric. I can’t think of a single NFL stadium that contributes well to an urban neighborhood. They are typically parking lot wastelands. I don’t know what the expectation should really be.

Football stadiums are a lot larger than arenas, and have a much higher seating capacity. I think the issue is more that it's difficult to shoehorn one into an urban area than anything else.

But I don't believe there is any (or much) available land for development on the east bank near the stadium...so I'm not sure where you guys are talking about.  I mean...they've fixed up the east bank along the river...most everything north of the stadium is changing...east Nash across the interstate is booming.  There's just not much available space around the stadium for developments because of the parking issue and the junkyard.

My hope is that the soccer stadium gets built, is successful, and inspires a renaissance of the fairgrounds. By the time the Titans are playing their game of blackjack with the city, we decide to move them out to the fairgrounds. I know we face a lot of NIMBY-ism with the fairgrounds, but I just can’t help but to see it working best (and being very successful) as an all-encompassing sports complex. NFL, MLS, auto racing (perhaps expanded auto racing), I think it could work great for all. And it would be a win for everyone.  

Hell, they could update the oval track for the old-timers and even design a road course to travel throughout the whole fairgrounds. Something that could attract the likes of Indycar, F1, American Lemans, GT cup, or even NASCAR (tell me NASCAR wouldn’t kill to be in Nashville). That steep hill on the south-west side of the property could make a sick corkscrew, àla Laguna Seca, and a straightaway parallel to Craighead, with grandstands that also overlook the existing oval......oh man, I’m excited just thinking about it.

It would also be a great spot for MLB or horse racing, not to mention a revitalized state fair.

It truly could be an amazing complex and really satisfy the old and the new. We just have to stop being so damn devisive about everything  

Disclaimer; Just don’t ever move the Preds out of Bridgestone. EVER!

Edited by nashvillwill
  • Like 4

A statement from the MLS regarding the Detroit plan (B) to use Ford Field as it's stadium...

26475659999_4e03c8927a_n.jpg

Apparently, the Detroit boosters didn't involve MLS in their plans. Oops!

Also; the reporter who first reported Nashville has been selected, said on television today he stands behind his report. 

Just one minor detail to be taken care of and we'll know more about that in a few hours.