Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

29 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

They dont have the land either.

There's a buttugly IRS processing center right across the Ohio river in Covington KY. It's an eyesore right on the riverfront-the IRS should relocate to Cincinnati NKY Int'l Airport (CVG) and that location would be a great spot for a soccer stadium.

Just a note-Cincy may not have its bid totally together yet but FC Cincinnati has been around a few seasons now and has been drawing tremendous support, so they do have that in their favor.

• Like 1

Interesting quotes from a newspaper in Columbus, however I cannot verify if true. Praying that uncertainty of Columbus' future might help MLS officials to go ahead and give Nashville the expansion in December. 

It wasn't immediately clear whether or not MLS would allow two clubs in Ohio.

Crew SC owner, Anthony Precourt, is considering moving the team to Austin, Texas. San Antonio is bidding for its own MLS expansion team and has already invested in a stadium; however MLS won't allow two teams so close to each other.

Cincinnati and Columbus are roughly 30 miles further apart than the two Texas cities.

http://abc6onyourside.com/news/local/cincinnati-to-announce-new-soccer-stadium-in-effort-to-join-mls

On 11/11/2017 at 3:21 AM, nashville_bound said:
NBC Sports handicaps the MLS expansion Cities
BNA Baby

Announcement on December 14. Cincy is scheduled to announce its secured financing for a $250 million stadium next week.

Worrisome for Nashville's bid is perhaps MLS conceding the Crew's move to Austin and will appease Ohio with a team just down the road in Cincinnati....stinky since Precourt (Crew's owner) was recently sitting on the MLS expansion committee.

I hope that Nashville's location, solid ownership and public/private stadium deal, diversity and vibrancy will trump any such leanings.

Or perhaps they award a franchise each to Nashville, Cincinnati and Sacramento. It would truly be a shame for MLS to bypass Nashville's meteoric effort to bring MLS to the area after Nashville SC ticked all the boxes.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Edited by tragenvol
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, tragenvol said:

Announcement on December 14. Cincy is scheduled to announce its secured financing for a $250 million stadium next week.

Worrisome for Nashville's bid is perhaps MLS conceding the Crew's move to Austin and will appease Ohio with a team just down the road in Cincinnati....stinky since Precourt (Crew's owner) was recently sitting on the MLS expansion committee.

I hope that Nashville's location, solid ownership and public/private stadium deal, diversity and vibrancy will trump any such leanings.

Or perhaps they award a franchise each to Nashville, Cincinnati and Sacramento. It would truly be a shame for MLS to bypass Nashville's meteoric effort to bring MLS to the area after Nashville SC ticked all the boxes.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

When did the MLS concede the crew's move to Austin?

I don't think there will be a decision on the Crew moving to Austin by December 14th. 

Precourt (Columbus Crew's owner) has said he was pursuing both Austin and Columbus simultaneously. Austin does not have a soccer specific stadium, and Columbus city council has stated they are going to try and do everything they can to keep the Crew in Columbus. 

With the Crew a question mark, I pray The MLS awards Nashville a team in December. 

Cincinnati also has to get their stadium approved by city council and Hamilton County. Praying there is a delay via red tape past December. 

Major League Soccer will hold its annual Board of Governors meeting in New York on Dec. 14, with plans to announce two expansion teams before the end of the year, likely between Dec. 18 and Dec. 21. 

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2017/11/14/mls-sets-date-pick-expansion-cities-including-verdict-nashvilles-bid/862846001/

With so many minor-league baseball teams opting to partner with (or own outright) soccer clubs, I wonder how long it will be before we see purpose-built multi-function stadiums again, this time in the 10,000 to 20,000 range instead of 50,000 to 80,000.

It's obvious most of these ballparks were built to accommodate football and soccer fields but the amenities are still baseball-focused. Wouldn't take many changes in design to fix that.

• Like 2

This from Sports Illustrated's Grant Wahl a couple days ago:

MLS OWNERS MEETING AND THE NEXT EXPANSION TEAMS

The next full MLS owners meeting takes place on December 14 in New York City, and that will be the day the league decides which cities will get the next two expansion teams. From talking to several insiders, I’m being told the two expansion teams will likely come from a group of three cities that includes Sacramento, Nashville and Cincinnati. Keep in mind, David Beckham’s Miami expansion team is viewed separately by the league, and while the due diligence by new Miami investor Todd Boehly is taking longer than expected, I’m told that a formal announcement is set to happen in the coming months.

• Like 2