Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

I bet when we hear "Mayor Megan Berry plans a press release on December 18th", that's our cue to "pop the corks".  She will want it to be a big ordeal standing side by side with the ownership team.  I don't blame her.  The city of Franklin can't open a single road without a ribbon cutting.

Edited by TheRaglander
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Save Our Fairgrounds has filed a new complaint, amended for Metro's dismissal, purposely at the last minute. 

Looks like Metro can verbally dispute it today to have the case dismissed with less very little time to prepare, or wait until 12/22 for the court to decide. 

Obviously Save Our Fairgrounds is trying to keep this case open  to scare The MLS.

I pray that this case is resolved today, And NashvilleSC is awarded a franchise today. 

Edited by nashvylle
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

I feel the same way.  It'd be one thing if they had a legitimate grievance, and the city WAS, say, destroying the race track and fairgrounds.  But this is nothing of the sort.  In fact, these idiots who claim to love the racetrack and fairgrounds (perfectly fine, if that's your scene) are essentially protesting a plan that would RENOVATE the racetrack and fairgrounds and preserve it for decades to come.   I mean honestly, how daft can one be?   

It's people who see this as a new Nashville that they're scared of. This is just one more way of attempting to stifle the growth, development, and prominence of the city. They'd have us go back 30 years to a time when suburbs were first growing and Broadway was pawn shops and peep shows, because they have a strange, misguided nostalgia that manifests itself as fear. This group is despicable. There is no logical, legal, or sensible reason to stop the stadium based on their arguments, it's just an attempt to keep a modern sport out of the city. The same thing happened with the Titans and the Predators.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

I feel the same way.  It'd be one thing if they had a legitimate grievance, and the city WAS, say, destroying the race track and fairgrounds.  But this is nothing of the sort.  In fact, these idiots who claim to love the racetrack and fairgrounds (perfectly fine, if that's your scene) are essentially protesting a plan that would RENOVATE the racetrack and fairgrounds and preserve it for decades to come.   I mean honestly, how daft can one be?   

Just to play devil's advocate, there have been enough proposals to shut down and redevelop or repurpose the fairgrounds and racetrack that the people who use them are going to be skeptical of any plan that touches them. This is amplified by the fact that government and team/league officials around the country tout new stadia as a catalyst to revitalizing an area and attracting new development.

Reading between the lines of the fairgrounds stadium proposal, we're taking a tract of land with some very... unique uses and dropping in a series of new developments that are, if not incompatible, at least divergent with those uses. One reading of this is that those new developments are going to provide the stability needed to keep the fairgrounds viable for those uses. Another reading is that they are going to drive demand that makes those uses even more unviable for the property. The cynic in me would not be surprised if the latter is the ulterior motive for both Metro and the Nashville SC owners.

I'm going to be super pissed if this lawsuit torpedoes the MLS bid, though.

A Nashville judge held off on delivering a ruling Friday in a closely watched case in which plaintiffs are seeking to block the city’s construction of a new Major League Soccer stadium at the Metro-owned fairgrounds.

Davidson County Chancellor Ellen Hobbs Lyle agreed to take the complaint against Metro under advisement after hearing nearly two hours of oral arguments. She said she plans to continue to review the facts of the case. 

It means the court’s final ruling could come after MLS announces whether Nashville has been awarded an expansion franchise. A league announcement is expected no later than Thursday. Nashville is one of four cities in the running for two expansion spots.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2017/12/16/nashville-judge-still-reviewing-mls-stadium-lawsuit-expansion-decision-looms/955867001/

I think the judge may have held off issuing a ruling due to part of Metro's argument being that the city hasn't been awarded an MLS franchise...and with a ruling supposedly imminent and prior to Friday, the judgment would then come.

Doesn't help Nashville's bid.  I might have only argued the plaintiff's suit is based on speculation and hit hard there....rather than throw the plaintiff a bone, but I'm not an attorney.