Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

1 hour ago, Nashtitans said:

^About that...new question.

Let's just say we just so happen to be one of the four to land an MLS franchise. What do you think it will mean to the city? Do you think it will affect development or anything like that? How will this change the city

It will further solidify this town as a Gen Y hot bed.  Bring more international people and interest to the city.  And it will be a lot more awesome than an MLB or NBA franchise.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2016 at 5:35 PM, Nashtitans said:

So here's the question, would you rather have MLB or MLS in Nashville?  MLB is possible, the TB Rays and the Oakland Athletics are looking to relocate somewhere...and we're deep in the discussion of MLS here, so which one would you choose?

Neither. We're not yet big enough to support another sports franchise, especially MLB with its OVER 9000! games a year.

MLB is overrated and a dying sport, this is coming from someone who played baseball for a long time. Soccer is the sport of the world and growing quickly here in the states, take it from a Chattanoogan that regularly sees 5,000 plus show up for a bunch of scrubs playing "pro" soccer at the 4th level of soccer. Nashville would benefit greatly by having a team, I imagine being like the Preds are now, hot ticket where everyone loves going to matches. Singing, chanting and drinking, things that Nashvillians love. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Nashville is going to host the US Men's soccer team in July 2017 for a game at Nissan...

looking for link from Tennessean. 

It is actually two games against as yet to be announced international opponents as a part of the CONCACAF Gold Cup, which is a major international tournament.  Big get!

• Like 3

Look at the company we are keeping….

Nashville will host 2017 Gold Cup matches. Others are

Santa Clara, Calif., (Home of San Francisco 49ers)

Cleveland

San Antonio

Arlington, Texas (Home of Dallas Cowboys)

Houston

Philadelphia

San Diego

Tampa, Fla.

Harrison, N.Y. (Home of NYC Red Bulls)

Pasadena (Los Angeles), Calif. (Home of Rose Bowl)

Denver

Frisco, Texas (Home of the Dallas MLS team)

Glendale, Ariz. (Home of Phoenix, ‘Arizona Cardinals)

Playing with the big boys!!!

• Like 4

As far as a proposed site for a soccer stadium, does anyone have any thoughts as to where a stadium would be located?

The site they wanted to do the Sounds stadium on the E bank is too small I think, based on the size that a stadium would need to be. I am not familiar with the size of a soccer field, but I think it is larger than a football field, and the stadium would have to house somewhere between 20 and 50 thousand fans I am thinking.

Thoughts/Discussion?

Not sure if there would be enough room, but I'd love to see Palmer sell the WES site back and then the city could also clean off some of the land along Broadway to the east of WES and plop it down right there, basically right on the interstate and in the middle of everything.  Probably not realistic, but we can dream.  Amazing location and it would drive up the value of Beaman's land to the point that he might actually start thinking about selling. 

Edited by bmkTN
  • Like 2

There is plenty of room at PSC metals, other sites on the east bank are ..

Inside the inner loop:

TA Travel center and Stadium inn.

The tobacco company  bordered by rosa parks, 10th, Harrison, and Tredco.

Outside the inner loop:

Greer, would be tight but workable.

Metro center

Fairgounds.

I say it would best as close to downtown as possible.    on the east bank would create a stadium district like Philly has, and that could ba  abad thing if not done properly.

The tobacco sight though has potential as a very urban sight.  

Keep the taller brick buildings on the side streets and convert those to bars and housing. it would compliment FTP

• Like 2

14 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

My money is on the Greer Stadium site. It could actually be retrofitted to a soccer use much easier and the city would not have to purchase the property. It is also zoned already. 

I don't think they neighbors will allow it now. There would be too much opposition now that WeHo is an up and coming hood. The NIMBYS would fight tooth and nail. My thoughts would be East Bank as you would want the stadium close to hotels, the district, and shopping.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I don't think they neighbors will allow it now. There would be too much opposition now that WeHo is an up and coming hood. The NIMBYS would fight tooth and nail. My thoughts would be East Bank as you would want the stadium close to hotels, the district, and shopping.

I live in the neighborhood. Myself, and many of the neighbors I know, would be all for it. I think we're all tired of looking at an abandoned stadium. 

• Like 2