Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

SBNation makes a good point as to Nashville's appeal......

....But MLS probably noticed the incredible environment at Nashville Predators games last summer and thinks it can recreate that enthusiasm for soccer. They won’t have trouble selling the expensive tickets either — Nashville has a higher income per capita than Detroit, Sacramento and Cincinnati, and has plenty of Fortune 500 companies. You might not care about this stuff, but MLS sure does.....

And from ESPN

But Nashville has ticked off all the necessary boxes, and had the most complete bid out of a group of four finalists that included Cincinnati, Detroit, and Sacramento.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Pdt2f said:

Is it bad that I’m getting a ton of pleasure by reading the jeremiad tweets on the MLS2Cincy page? 

I'm entertained by the hate from Sacramento and Cinci as well. Having a successful minor league team is nice, but ultimately it means nothing. ATL United didn't have a USL team, but it broke MLS attendance records last year. Nashville had the better stadium deal, better ownership, and is the more dynamic city with the brighter future. The fans will come quickly. Deal with it.

• Like 3

My father's thoughts 
"You don’t GIVE tax payer property to your billionaire friend. The land was a gift to taxpayers, not government officials, to then make deals with their friends."

he has been going to the fairgrounds race track all of his life and is obviously not in favor of soccer at the fairgrounds.

45 minutes ago, bhibbs said:

My father's thoughts 
"You don’t GIVE tax payer property to your billionaire friend. The land was a gift to taxpayers, not government officials, to then make deals with their friends."

he has been going to the fairgrounds race track all of his life and is obviously not in favor of soccer at the fairgrounds.

I can definitely see that point of view. 

I just wonder if people would rather it just sit there and not do anything. 

• Like 1

Yeah the track will still be there. And will definitely see some infrastructure upgrades because of this. 

Soccer in person is waaaay more exciting in person, if you've never seen a game. 

Edit:

I've only gotten to see college games at Tennessee and I was blown away. I was always out of town for the big ones in Nissan Stadium but that would have been awesome.

Edited by PaulChinetti
addition
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, titanhog said:

I just think the fans of the current fairgrounds situation don't realize how precarious that run-down facility is sitting.  The addition of the soccer stadium, retail and other improvements could actually turn that entire acreage into a world-class gathering spot.  I could actually see NASCAR coming back to that track one day once many of those non-traditional markets start falling by the wayside (NASCAR has definitely lost its luster in some of those markets).  And...with this new infrastructure, I could actually see the State Fair becoming something pretty cool...with big concerts at the soccer stadium during the fair.

Now see, you make sense!!!!

• Like 1

As far as NASCAR goes, that will never return to this site...the stands are simply tiny by their current standards (about 15,000 capacity).  Most of their tracks are 75,000 and up.  Even if they were to build it up all the way around the circuit, I don't think they could get the capacity much over 50,000, and there just wouldn't be enough parking anywhere in the area to support that influx of fans.  This speedway is destined to host lower level races for the rest of its existence.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, markhollin said:

As far as NASCAR goes, that will never return to this site...the stands are simply tiny by their current standards (about 15,000 capacity).  Most of their tracks are 75,000 and up.  Even if they were to build it up all the way around the circuit, I don't think they could get the capacity much over 50,000, and there just wouldn't be enough parking anywhere in the area to support that influx of fans.  This speedway is destined to host lower level races for the rest of its existence.

Shhhhhhh.  Don't tell the NASCAR fans that. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

I can definitely see that point of view. 

I just wonder if people would rather it just sit there and not do anything. 

Well you're a better man than I because, I'm sorry, but I can't see that point of view.  Not in this case.  They're renovating and giving new life to the things he loves and replacing an unused dirt lot with something else that will bring energy and vibrancy to this place he feels such nostalgia for.  Like I said before, if the race track was being replaced by a soccer stadium, then I could appreciate his gripes, but how are you gonna be mad at a plan that makes the things you love BETTER?  Sometimes I think people just like to rail against change and against any governmental action (please, god, don't let that last bit trigger certain folks.) 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Pdt2f said:

I’d be miffed if the fairgrounds had a certain nostalgic feel to them, like if they had a bunch of classic buildings something. But there’s nothing to be nostalgic about the current fairgrounds. I’m typically against idiotic government spending and political “prestige projects,” but I just feel like this is win-win. Update and keep the old, build some new, offer new reasons for people to enjoy the fairgrounds, develop some property to hopefully spur more development. What’s not to like? 

And I say this as someone who would rather watch paint dry than watch soccer. 

What I like is that the area around the fairgrounds is kinda "hit or miss" and I'm thinking this will really help improve the area and cause it to evolve into a safer and more enjoyable neighborhood.

• Like 3