Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

The previous two posts were brilliant.  Well said, both of you.  

Regarding football and injuries, most would be surprised to learn that soccer has the highest rate of injury of any organized team sport... the major difference, however, is that unlike football, if you suffer a catastrophic injury in soccer it will almost certainly be a lower body injury to an extremity, 'only' ruining one's soccer career, and not the remainder of their life.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

The previous two posts were brilliant.  Well said, both of you.  

Regarding football and injuries, most would be surprised to learn that soccer has the highest rate of injury of any organized team sport... the major difference, however, is that unlike football, if you suffer a catastrophic injury in soccer it will almost certainly be a lower body injury to an extremity, 'only' ruining one's soccer career, and not the remainder of their life.

Your statement regarding catastrophic injury in soccer is apparently very false. I'm not trying to weigh in on the pros and cons of a pro soccer team in Nashville, just sharing some information.

"The Cost of the Header"

In August [This article was published in 2014], a group of parents and players launched a class-action lawsuit in California accusing fifa, the sport’s world governing body, along with U.S. Soccer, the American Youth Soccer Organization, and others, of presiding over an “epidemic” of concussions in the game. The lawsuit claims that roughly fifty thousand high-school soccer players sustained concussions in 2010—more players than in basketball, baseball, softball, and wrestling combined—and demands that limits be placed on the number of times that players under seventeen may head the ball.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/sporting-scene/cost-header

"What Happens When Soccer Bans Heading?"

If the rules of the game were being written today, making head-to-ball contact would be outlawed — but they were written 150 years ago. Backed by research and growing concussion awareness, U.S. Soccer is trying to reframe how we think about such an ingrained and dangerous part of the sport.

https://www.theringer.com/2017/4/25/16041684/us-soccer-header-ban-concussions-4805684f63ca

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nashvillain said:

Your statement regarding catastrophic injury in soccer is apparently very false. I'm not trying to weigh in on the pros and cons of a pro soccer team in Nashville, just sharing some information.

"The Cost of the Header"

In August [This article was published in 2014], a group of parents and players launched a class-action lawsuit in California accusing fifa, the sport’s world governing body, along with U.S. Soccer, the American Youth Soccer Organization, and others, of presiding over an “epidemic” of concussions in the game. The lawsuit claims that roughly fifty thousand high-school soccer players sustained concussions in 2010—more players than in basketball, baseball, softball, and wrestling combined—and demands that limits be placed on the number of times that players under seventeen may head the ball.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/sporting-scene/cost-header

"What Happens When Soccer Bans Heading?"

If the rules of the game were being written today, making head-to-ball contact would be outlawed — but they were written 150 years ago. Backed by research and growing concussion awareness, U.S. Soccer is trying to reframe how we think about such an ingrained and dangerous part of the sport.

https://www.theringer.com/2017/4/25/16041684/us-soccer-header-ban-concussions-4805684f63ca

Yep.  The "header" is the issue that soccer will have to address.

• Like 2

“I think you heard the [MLS] commissioner say that this time last year Nashville wasn’t even on the map, but because of all of the things we did, we came together as a city, working with the Metro Council working with a great ownership group, and also that we have great fans, they said wow Nashville is a soccer city,” said Mayor Megan Barry.

Not only is Nashville a soccer city, but combined with both the Titans and Predators, it’s now one of a kind.

“We will now be the only city with that combination, with both soccer, hockey, and professional football, so I think it just speaks well to Nashville. We continue to be that city on the rise,” said Mayor Barry.

With some additional, flattering comments by MLS Commissioner Don Garber and Nashville hero Eddie George, here's the rest of the article:

http://wkrn.com/2017/12/27/nashvilles-sports-landscape-is-now-unlike-any-other-in-the-country/

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, titanhog said:

^^Mayor saying we're the only city with a combo of soccer, hockey and pro football...but that's not true, unless she's saying just those 3 (just that combination). There are several cities that have those 3 sports (Chicago, NY, LA, etc). 

I'm pretty sure she means just those three sports.  And while she's technically right, since the article title said "in the country" Montreal and Vancouver could claim to also have their 3 major league franchises in the same sports as Nashville's although Montreal's and Vancouver's football teams are from the CFL and not the NFL, and many don't really consider the CFL to be on the same level as the NFL.  Anyway, Nashville is in pretty good company when it comes to cities with just three major league franchises:

• Cleveland (MLB, NBA, NFL)
  • Kansas City (MLB, MLS, NFL)
  • Montreal (CFL, MLS, NHL)
  • Pittsburgh (MLB, NFL, NHL)
  • Seattle (MLB, MLS, NFL)
  • Tampa Bay (MLB, NFL, NHL) (and yeah it's technically two cities--Tampa and St Pete)
  • Vancouver (CFL, MLS, NHL)

Edited by jmtunafish
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

I'm pretty sure she means just those three sports.  And while she's technically right, Montreal and Vancouer could claim to also have their 3 major league franchises in the same sports as Nashville's although Montreal's and Vancouver's football teams are from the CFL and not the NFL, and many don't really consider the CFL to be on the same level as the NFL.  Anyway, Nashville is in pretty good company when it comes to cities with just three major league franchises:

• Cleveland (MLB, NBA, NFL)
  • Kansas City (MLB, MLS, NFL)
  • Montreal (CFL, MLS, NHL)
  • Pittsburgh (MLB, NFL, NHL)
  • Seattle (MLB, MLS, NFL)
  • Tampa Bay (MLB, NFL, NHL) (and yeah it's technically two cities--Tampa and St Pete)
  • Vancouver (CFL, MLS, NHL)

Now you've got me wondering which cities in the US have more than us! :D

So...a little research:

NYC / NJ: NFL (2), NBA (2), MLB (2), NHL (2,) MLS (2)

LA / Anaheim, etc: NFL (2), NBA (2), MLB (2), NHL (2), MLS (2 soon)

Chicago: NFL, NBA, MLB (2), NHL, MLS

Houston: NFL, NBA, MLB, MLS

Dallas: NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS

Boston: NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS 

Atlanta: NFL, NBA, MLB, MLS

Philadelphia: NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS 

Minneapolis: NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS

Miami: NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS (soon)

Denver: NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS 

San Francisco / Oakland: NFL (2), NBA, MLB (2), NHL, MLS

DC: NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS

Detroit: NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL

Phoenix: NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL

Metro areas larger than us who have equal or less pro teams than us:

Seattle

San Diego

St. Louis

Tampa

Baltimore

Pittsburgh

Portland

Cincy

Sacramento

Cleveland

Orlando

San Antonio

Kansas City

Vegas

San Jose (though I kinda included it with SF / Oakland)

Columbus

Indianapolis

Charlotte

Austin

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

With the MLS in town, Tennessee can now claim more major league teams (4) than three states that are larger than Tennessee:   North Carolina (3), Virginia (0), and Washington (3).

In fairness to Virginia, you could consider D.C. home to all of their pro-sports franchises. D.C. isn't Virginia per say, but it is their big city.

• Like 1

Does anyone know when Nashville SC will go to metro council to vote on the demolition of the flea markets? I read within an article that John Ingram said "within the next few months", but nothing specific.

I would imagine Market Street will have to come up with the entire plan for the relocation of the facilities and the 10 acre development, etc. 

I do hope they show how great everything can work together. 

3 hours ago, PruneTracy said:

If it can be quantified with detailed yet arbitrary standards, you can bet there is a Wikipedia article on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_and_Canadian_cities_by_number_of_major_professional_sports_franchises

Note that they don't include MLS as a "major" sport.  Hopefully, everyone will consider it a major sport soon. 

When they get a major tv contract, better game attendance, recognizable stars, and most of America is aware of the existence of any of their teams, then they’ll be able to claim major sport status. Until then it’s all just based on potential. I’m happy we got a team but I don’t think the MLS is a major league on the same level as the big 4. 

• Like 1