Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

• 2 weeks later...

So, Miami is officially in now....

Miami’s team will begin play in 2020, Garber confirmed after the event, with plans to play in a temporary venue for one season before opening a new, privately developed, 25,000-seat stadium in the city’s urban core in 2021. The stadium will be designed by Populous, the global firm that has worked on many of the top soccer venues around the world, including the creation of MLS stadiums in Houston, Kansas City and Colorado, along with Audi Field (opening this year in Washington, D.C.) and Allianz Field (opening in Minnesota in 2019).

Do you think the league will launch Miami AND Nashville in 2020?

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/01/29/its-official-major-league-soccer-awards-expansion-team-miami

• Like 3

I wonder if Nashville will be in 2019?

I think FC Cincinnati is the most ready "team", and can play in Nippert Stadium temporarily, but from browsing twitter feeds, I am not sure if:

1.) Oakley site is preferred by MLS. There have been articles about FC Cincinnati trying to buy land in the West End neighborhood (closer to downtown)
2.) If MLS2Austin is a done deal, meaning Columbus Crew potentially staying. Would MLS want both Columbus and Cincinnati?

Does anyone know what is next for our stadium construction?

10 minutes ago, TheRaglander said:

An article from one of the Cincinnati newspapers states that the Miami announcement has nothing to do with their chances for a club, that it's not related at all. 

This is correct; the Miami bid is part of the previous expansion effort from 20 to 24 teams by 2020 (that included them, LAFC, Minnesota United, and Atlanta United). There are still three slots to be filled in the ultimate (and final?) expansion to 28 teams.

Edited by PruneTracy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, nashvylle said:

I wonder if Nashville will be in 2019?

I think FC Cincinnati is the most ready "team", and can play in Nippert Stadium temporarily, but from browsing twitter feeds, I am not sure if:

1.) Oakley site is preferred by MLS. There have been articles about FC Cincinnati trying to buy land in the West End neighborhood (closer to downtown)
2.) If MLS2Austin is a done deal, meaning Columbus Crew potentially staying. Would MLS want both Columbus and Cincinnati?

Does anyone know what is next for our stadium construction?

The Sacramento option seems to be cratering due to deep pockets ownership issues. Detroit's stadium option (share with the NFL) seems to be a turnoff to the MLS. Cincinnati looks to be tying up loose ends rather quickly and I agree they will be the next franchise.

The Austin move had a slight hiccup when a Commissioner submitted a bill to prevent the team from building in a park. The  team wanted a site just across the river in a park from downtown which would have had an incredible view of the skyline. The team dropped the proposal and the Commissioner withdrew the bill. So maybe they are back on track.

I think Phoenix and Detroit will be the second round picks with Raleigh first city out. Phoenix is having Populous design an outdoor air conditioned stadium. They have all the other boxes checked and they are a Metro of 4.7 million.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PHofKS said:

The Sacramento option seems to be cratering due to deep pockets ownership issues. Detroit's stadium option (share with the NFL) seems to be a turnoff to the MLS. Cincinnati looks to be tying up loose ends rather quickly and I agree they will be the next franchise.

The Austin move had a slight hiccup when a Commissioner submitted a bill to prevent the team from building in a park. The  team wanted a site just across the river in a park from downtown which would have had an incredible view of the skyline. The team dropped the proposal and the Commissioner withdrew the bill. So maybe they are back on track.

I think Phoenix and Detroit will be the second round picks with Raleigh first city out. Phoenix is having Populous design an outdoor air conditioned stadium. They have all the other boxes checked and they are a Metro of 4.7 million.

Wtf is an outdoor air-conditioned stadium?

• Like 1

From the SOCCERSTADIUMDIGEST

Air conditioning not in the sense that we think of it but usage of water and ventilation to create some cooling effect.

“It was important for us to make sure that the selected firm really understood our needs,” said Brett Johnson, co-chairman for Phoenix Rising FC. “We need to build a stadium that will be comfortable for both the fans and players, so it was crucial that the winning architectural design team understood the challenges and opportunities associated with the Sonoran Desert......

.......Gould Evans, based in Phoenix with four additional offices around the country, focuses on regionally appropriate designs with a blend of proven passive and technical solutions to reduce temperatures before and during games.Their approach to the new Phoenix Rising stadium will include providing tactical shade while maximizing ventilation and water as a vehicle to cooling.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nashvylle said:

Nashville has sold out the exhibition game at First Tennessee Park against Atlanta United FC. 

I will be there, my friend, rain or shine! Yeah, the weather forecast looks crummy for Saturday... I'm bringing a poncho. If anyone wants to meet before or after for a cold beverage, shoot me a message.

Bill

• Like 1