Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

This tidbit from today's Nashville Post:

Work is ready to start at Fairgrounds Nashville related to the MLS stadium project.

A permit, valued at $7.28 million, will allow for the construction of a “new Fair Park … to consist of 42 acres with 12 soccer fields and one restroom structure. The project includes trail heads and dog park. Two covered pavilions will be on a separate permit.”

The local office of Skanska is the general contractor.

• Like 3

They've been working in the southeast corner for a few weeks but the rain has not be super helpful. When I drove by yesterday the area had been transformed into a medium sized muddy lake, haha.

I can't tell if they are trying to raise the area a few feet to avoid flooding in the future or not, seeing the site plans would be interesting.

• Like 1

That is huge!  I wonder if having the name of a global corporation like Nissan on Nashville's stadium would make any difference.  I could see Nissan pitching in some extra cash to bring the game to the stadium which bears its name in a match that would be seen around the world.

Edited by jmtunafish
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

That is huge!  I wonder if having the name of a global corporation like Nissan on Nashville's stadium would make any difference.  I could see Nissan pitching in some extra cash to bring the game to the stadium which bears its name in a match that would be seen around the world.

FIFA doesn't allow stadia with corporate naming to be referenced with such during their tournaments.

Clearly our task at this point is to come up with an alternative name. I humbly submit for your consideration... the Hot Chicken Bowl.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, PruneTracy said:

FIFA doesn't allow stadia with corporate naming to be referenced with such during their tournaments.

Clearly our task at this point is to come up with an alternative name. I humbly submit for your consideration... the Hot Chicken Bowl.

Bring back the Coliseum! 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

When will single game tickets be available?  I heard the 20th but can't find anything to verify.

Nashville SC tweeted this today

UPDATE:

Single game tickets to our March 24th home opener will now go on sale Thursday, Feb. 22nd at 10am CT. Tickets start at just 15 dollars.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

We received 31 councilmember votes for the funding at The Fairgrounds prior to Mayor Barry's scandal. Does anyone think we will not get 27 votes now?

Nashvylle, IMO, what we're seeing now manifesting through situations like this, e.g., soccer stadium alternate proposals, huge transit resistance - and likely other stuff - is the vacuum in trusted leadership. I've seen it play out countless times. Sharks are smelling blood, circling....and moving in, even if it's just for scraps. Until the top stabilizes with a trusted, respected, steady hand, we're in for a bumpy ride. Again, just one man's opinion. Whatever you support, it's a good time to remind your councilperson where you stand.

• Like 4

See below links on efforts to move the MLS stadium to MetroCenter. Nashville SC ownership group has already stated they are working on The Fairgrounds. It doesn't matter if metrocenter is a bad idea. What matters is we need 27 council votes for demolishing of the existing facilities.  Please contact all the councilmembers if you can and tell them to support the MLS plan at The Fairgrounds. 

http://www.gcanews.com/new-group-plans-efforts-to-move-mls-soccer-stadium-to-metro-center/

https://www.facebook.com/Move-MLS-Soccer-Stadium-to-Metro-Center-734387526950071/

Edited by nashvylle
  • Like 1

From Councilperson Colby Sledge on the resolution about moving the stadium.

"Councilman DeCosta Hastings has a nonbinding resolution that would encourage moving the Major League Soccer stadium to Metro Parks land in MetroCenter. While this resolution would have no enforceable effect, I have asked the sponsor to consider indefinitely deferring this resolution, so we can continue to work well together as a body to promote economic development in all parts of our city. I expect these conversations to continue next week."

• Like 4

If he is proposing it in the metro center park where the soccer fields currently are they might have problems trying to build there since that area is a old landfill from what I’ve been told.  I’m not sure if it’s true but I know I’ve been told that before by some of my co workers.

• Like 2