Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

12 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

I never knew that dumpy area known as the fairgrounds was such a political football, but I understand that goes back a looooong time. 

I know, right? I've not been to the fairgrounds in years...probably the last time was 15 years ago for a gun show or something, and I remember it being a run-down dump then. I get that the buildings may have some historic value and I think that having a public exhibition place and fairground is important for the city (not every event has the funds to rent out the MCC, after all). But the place is in bad need of the money this promises to bring to the site to bring it up to some semblance of standards.

• Like 4

On 3/15/2018 at 4:58 PM, PHofKS said:

Minneapolis, Chicago and Vancouver apparently pulled their bids in the past few days paring the US candidates down to 17 from 19.

And the last time the US went for a bid, I recall frank discussion about some cities being played against each other to elicit better deals from some potentially recalcitrant NFL owners (Dallas, D. C., etc.). I don't think Nashville is in that situation now, so the list may be 2 or 3 shorter than it seems.

However, there is some doubt the United Bid wins over out over the Moroccan bid as they have a lot of support from Africa and Asia.

But all that aside, as for the strength of Nashville's bid, I have read on other blogs where Nashville is a 'niche' bid, whatever that means. They seem to think bigger is better, but I have to laugh at that and dismiss it as a bad case of the 'Nashville Envy' that seems to be sweeping the nation lately.

My debate points include:

• Market size is not as important as it seems as people will travel long distances to participate in the event. Nashville is within 500 miles of most of America and filling up a stadium should not be a problem.
  • Also, Nashville's gravitational pull as a party city will increase it's World Cup market considerably. FIFA wants festivity, and we can provide that to te max with a downtown stadium in America's Music City
  • And Hotels and Entertainment??  We got your downtown hotels and entertainment venues within a ten minute walk of the stadium. Eleven of the cities on the list can't claim that and will need a lot of public transport. You can sleep, eat, play, watch and party without needing to hail as much as a rickshaw.
  • And finally, I'd bet if you asked international World Cup fans which five cities they would like to watch a game in, Nashville would be on that list. 

I think our bid deserves much more credit than it is getting.

Pete,

Though I agree with your points and hope Nashville' s bid is successful, you fail to acknowledge why Nashville would NOT be a good city for the World Cup.

* Compared to most of the cities on the list, we have a very modest soccer culture. For example, we have few bars in which soccer is the main sport shown on TV. I would think most soccer fans want to visit "soccer cities" if they are going to take the time and money to travel. We are not yet a soccer city and not even close.

*  Many soccer fans from Africa and Asia (and from other parts of the world, for that matter) could care less about our "music city brand," hot chicken, honkytonks, etc. That is not even remotely on their "cultural radar." Many of the folks who would travel overseas for soccer would, we assume, tend to be "international citizens" and would want to visit an international city. Nashville is not that compared to most other cities on the North America bid list.

* We have one of the worst NFL stadiums in terms of functionality and attractiveness. It's a joke in some respects and everybody knows it.

*  On the travel theme, some fans would be flying in from cities to which our airport has modest connectivity (if any at all).

Don't get me wrong, I think we'll have a solid chance. And I love Nashville as much as anybody. But let's keep this in perspective.

WW

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Ingram said:

* People are going to go to the stadium to watch their team. Nobody travels to watch their team on television. Plus I'm sure the bars will have the tournament on television for the world cup visitors since they stand to reap a windfall for doing so. People care more about their nation's team than they do about a "soccer city". A term that hardly anyone uses.

* You can say the same for grunge clubs, tecno clubs, cheese steaks, chili, buritos, and lobster rolls. It hasn't stopped outsiders coming here for internationals, festivals, and tourism.

* I haven't heard anyone complaining about the stadium. For some reason people don't any problem having their sporting events and concerts there.

I'm glad the people who run the city don't have this mentality, the city never would have gotten anywhere.

I failed to make my point clearly. My bad.

In short, anybody's  argument for Nashville being included will be stronger if that argument includes some of the challenges and shortcomings. Doing so provides context and shows a certain respect for our city. When I read posts like this from people in other cities (Charlotte, Austin, etc.), I feel tempted to point out the shortcomings of those posts (I don't because I don't personally know those posters). I do know Pete and tremendously respect him.  And that is why I responded. I feel we should be strongly respectful of Nashville. To say it's a better city (or worse city) than it actually is (and I'm not accusing Pete of doing so) is to do it a disservice. I don't play that game.

I leave the hyper-pro-Nashville "we're the best city in America" approach to the chamber types.

4 hours ago, nashvylle said:

Our stadium is No different than Kansas City, Cincinnati, Baltimore, and Orlando. 

Our stadium location is second to none, and much more desirable compared to foxboro, San Francisco. 

Cincy's NFL stadium in term sof exterior design makes Nissan's exterior look like a high school facility. And its location is every bit as strong as our stadium's location, which, I agree with you, is stellar. But the setting (no commercial businesses on the east bank and excessive surface parking) is a bit lacking.

To be blunt, I'm not a fan of our stadium  but I do strongly like Bridgestone Arena.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nashvylle said:

Agree our stadium is lacking, but if I were coming from Asia to America, I would not want to fly into Boston then drive 40 mins to the middle of nowhere. 

@East Side Urbanite do you have any idea when MLS2Nashville is going to try and get other council approvals for the soccer stadium? 

Excellent point about the drive in Boston. And the fact that our stadium is downtown and easily accessible, among reasons (including some Pete noted), is why I feel Nashville will have a very solid shot at this (assuming the North America bid trumps the Morocco bid).

As to any other approvals, I'm not sure. 

10 minutes ago, titanhog said:

What's the capacity of the lower bowl?

I spent about 20 minutes googling that the other day and I could not find an answer.  If 69k is the total capacity then 34.5k would be a 50/50 split which is probably incorrect but it's a number we could work off of.

• Like 1

Received this via FB directly from Nashville SC an hour ago:

The #DriveToNissan reaches its destination THIS SATURDAY when we play our regular season home opener at Nissan Stadium. Join the over 16,000 people who have already bought their ticket to be part of history. Get yours now starting at $15! #OurTownOurClub

bit.ly/2CBtLi0

• Like 2

I emailed my council person about it, he didn't seem to worried, that was before this report though. 

Reads like ole Rich Riebeling was getting a little overzealous. Doesn't seem like any big cover up or anything...

Maybe ole Steve Glover can calm down a bit "Glover said he’s going to ask the Metro Council to reverse its vote to issue bonds for the MLS stadium project." 

• Like 3

Yup, District 17. 

Just to be clear, this is me and not him.

"Reads like ole Rich Riebeling was getting a little overzealous. Doesn't seem like any big cover up or anything...

Maybe ole Steve Glover can calm down a bit "Glover said he’s going to ask the Metro Council to reverse its vote to issue bonds for the MLS stadium project.""

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Email from MLS2Nashville

MLS to Nashville Supporters,

We want to thank you for your continuing support for the growth of soccer in Nashville & Middle Tennessee. We would not have been awarded an expansion team without your enthusiastic and vocal support.

However, we have just gotten word a metro councilmember will be announcing a plan to rescind the Tennessee State Fairgrounds soccer stadium approval at tonight’s council meeting. We cannot let him derail the progress we have already made.

We need your voice once again. Please come out to reaffirm your support for our expansion team and our soccer stadium at the Tennessee State Fairgrounds.

Time: 6:30 PM
Date: March 20, 2018 (TONIGHT)
Edited by thenorthchannel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1