Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

2 hours ago, nashvylle said:

Over 20k tickets have been sold... record in reach. 

1 hour ago, titanhog said:

What's the record?

I think nashvylle was referring to the record for this weekend.  There are 21 pro soccer games going on this weekend:  6 MLS games and 15 USL games.  Nashville SC has a strong chance of having the highest attendance of them all.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nashvillesc/2018/03/23/nashville-sc-home-opener-nissan-stadium-usl-pittsburgh-riverhounds-gary-smith-louisville-city/448943002/

• Like 1

I think they are referring to USL attendance record.  I think they expect a good amount of walk-ups.  We'll see.

Edit:  Read article.  That helps.

"Nashville SC's slated goal has been to topple the USL inaugural home opener attendance record of 20,231 set by Sacramento Republic in 2014."

Edited by timmay143
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, timmay143 said:

I think they are referring to USL attendance record.  I think they expect a good amount of walk-ups.  We'll see.

Edit:  Read article.  That helps.

"Nashville SC's slated goal has been to topple the USL inaugural home opener attendance record of 20,231 set by Sacramento Republic in 2014."

So...I was right AND I didn't read the article.  Sometimes I make stuff up and still get it right! :rofl:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, timmay143 said:

30,417 for FC Cincinnati’s 4-2 victory over New York Red Bulls II at Nippert Stadium, the University of Cincinnati’s football complex on Sept. 16, 2017

That’s the USL attendance record for any game, which was done in FCC’s third season. 

Im talking about the USL inaugural home opener, which is I believe 20,231 by Sacramento. 

We also are 500 away from inaugural season ticket record. 

9 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

I think that's a tall order considering Atlanta had 55,000 at its inaugural home opener last year.

They were MLS. I’m saying USL. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nashvylle said:

That’s the USL attendance record for any game, which was done in FCC’s third season. 

Im talking about the USL inaugural home opener, which is I believe 20,231 by Sacramento. 

We also are 500 away from inaugural season ticket record. 

They were MLS. I’m saying USL. 

If I were in town I would absolutely be there, rain be damned.  I hope Nashville sets the record!

• Like 2

Well we've figured out all the attendance records...:rofl:.

Here's a couple links to the roster

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/2018/03/16/nashville-sc-roster-meet-team/412212002/

https://www.nashvillesc.com/our-roster

Pre-game article summary:

https://www.nashvillesc.com/news_article/show/900943?referrer_id=2591152

WHERE TO WATCH/LISTEN

The game will be broadcast on TV locally on WUXP MyTV30 starting at 5 p.m. with John Freeman and Ronnie Woodard on the call.

Outside of Nashville, the game will be livestreamed on the USL’s YouTube channel. The stream will be a simulcast of the TV broadcast and is available here.

Finally, a Spanish language broadcast will be available on the radio in Nashville on El Jefe 96.7 FM.

Edited by timmay143
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

No problem,  me too!

Please go to the game to support if you can!!!  I wanted to make the short drive from Huntsville but didn't.  I will probably regret it.  I hope this develops like our Nashville Predators and ice hockey love!!!

I haven't checked to see if it would be free or not on YouTube.  I would assume it would be, but I have seen that YouTube Red crap where you pay for premium content...

Just checked.  Looks to be free.

Nashville SC vs Pittsburgh Riverhounds: March 24, 2018 link:

USL YouTube Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/USLPRO

Edited by timmay143
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ingram said:

0-0.

And some actually think people will en masse leave the NFL for soccer.

I understand your point, and I agree that a 0-0 tie is not exactly the cracking way I was hoping the city of Nashville would begin it's pro soccer journey, but what I don't get is the notion that I keep hearing (usually from those who have never watched soccer or even tried to understand it) that more points equals more excitement.  If that were truly the case, then cricket would be the sport of choice everywhere.  By that logic, Americans are going to leave the NFL for cricket, like, TODAY.  New Zealand is currently leading England by 237! 

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 3

On 3/22/2018 at 8:00 AM, PaulChinetti said:

At some point you have to wonder if it's not about the fairgrounds at all but about Soccer itself.

Well soccer is a boring sport where at least half of most teams are foreigners whom most Americans can't relate to. Just like baseball. Maybe those people believe there are better ways to utilize tax dollars than for a sport like soccer.

Edited by Ingram
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ingram said:

0-0.

And some actually think people will en masse leave the NFL for soccer.

I’d prefer watching soccer than Mularkey and Robiskie’s nfl offense “scheme” any day. 

If you have a 6 year old son, would you rather him play tackle football or soccer? I think majority of parents today will choose soccer. That’s why I’m very thankful we have a pro soccer team. 

Edited by nashvylle
  • Like 4

I’m glad Nashville has a team because it’s good for the city and will help future phases of Nashville’s growth and standard of living, but the sport is like watching paint dry to me. I’m going to try and check out a game or two at first Tennessee Park to try and develop an enjoyment of it, but for at least 12 years people have been trying to convince me that what we’re watching is entertaining and I just don’t get it. Hopefully having more of a personal stake in it, with Nashville having a team, will make a difference in my opinion.

And I agree with your excellent point, @nashvylle, I would much rather my children play soccer than football. I enjoy football much more but it’s definitely hypocritical for me to enjoy a sport that I wouldn’t let my children play, so I would totally get into soccer if that’s what the kids want. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ingram said:

Well soccer is a boring sport where at least half of most teams are foreigners whom most Americans can't relate to. Just like baseball. Maybe those people believe there are better ways to utilize tax dollars than for a sport like soccer.

What on earth does being a foreigner have to do with anything? You're watching people kick and run. Everyone does that in the same way. Even beyond that, I feel like most of us don't have that much difficulty relating to foreigners regardless of context.

What are your thoughts on basketball? Do you have trouble enjoying it because most of the players are black?

Edited by fishsticks176
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm not a huge fan of soccer, but I truly enjoy world-class soccer.  There's definitely an art to it.

If American soccer ever becomes a bit more world-class (especially MLS being competitive with European soccer)...I think it will be that much more enjoyable.  Right now, the 4 main sports in America (football, basketball, baseball and hockey) are filled with the world's best athletes...and that makes it that much more fun to watch.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, titanhog said:

I'm not a huge fan of soccer, but I truly enjoy world-class soccer.  There's definitely an art to it.

If American soccer ever becomes a bit more world-class (especially MLS being competitive with European soccer)...I think it will be that much more enjoyable.  Right now, the 4 main sports in America (football, basketball, baseball and hockey) are filled with the world's best athletes...and that makes it that much more fun to watch.

That's a very fair assessment, the sport certainly isn't for everybody, and even as a huge 'footy' fan myself I'll straight up admit that after being used to watching La Liga (Spain) and Barclays Premier League (UK) on a regular basis, watching the match yesterday definitely had it's share of face-palm moments for me, but as you alluded to, when you begin to understand the ebbs and flows there is still an underlying beauty to the game, even at the high school level... and when the truly glorious moments shine through like a diamond, like that flying side strike by Lebo Moloto yesterday... wow... it is truly magic to behold, regardless of the overall level the player is at.  So yes, trust me, I get it that soccer takes some getting used to, and that sometimes it seems like nothing is really happening, but I think that slowly but surely, the city of Nashville will grow to embrace their squad and become as soccer mad as any place.  I can't wait to see what the future holds for our club!!

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 3