Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

49 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Does anyone know the results after early voting? Also, if Briley gets 49% of the vote and the runner up gets 3%, do they have a runoff, and if Briley gets 50.0001% of the vote does he win?

Yeah, if no one gets more than 50% they have a runoff between 1 and 2. 

I would put my money on Briley and Swain making it to the runoff. 

1 hour ago, Pdt2f said:

Yeah, if no one gets more than 50% they have a runoff between 1 and 2. 

I would put my money on Briley and Swain making it to the runoff.

I think Carr has a shot at a slot for a runoff ... he is the buzz candidate at this time

11 hours ago, nashville_bound said:

I think Carr has a shot at a slot for a runoff ... he is the buzz candidate at this time

Don't think so. I'm not sure I've seen a single carr sign. All the big money that went into the anti-transit push has now pivoted to Swain.

50 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

It's not like she was a professor of underwater basket weaving.  She was tenured at Princeton teaching both politics and public policy.  At Vanderbilt she was a professor of law and political science.  She was raised in stark poverty by an abusive stepfather and a disabled mother in rural Virginia in a house with no running water and where 12 kids had to share 2 beds.  She worked at McDonald's as a teenager and got her GED.  She eventually got an associates degree from a community college, then a bachelors degree (magna sprite laude) in criminal justice from Roanoke College, then a PhD in political science from UNC Chapel Hill, then a masters degree in law from Yale.  She has set up a scholarship fund for AA students at Roanoke College.  She has authored six books and was awarded the Lyndon Baines Johnson Foundation's D.B. Hardeman Prize  as well as the American Political Science Association's Woodrow Wilson Foundation Award for her books on  political science.  Her op-ed pieces have appeared in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Huffington Post, and USA Today.  Sandra Day O'Connor and Anthony Kennedy have cited Swain's work at the U.S. Supreme Court.  She was an advisor on the U.S. Civil Rights Commission and was a Visiting Fellow with the James Madison Program in American Ideals at Princeton.

While I agree that this doesn't necessarily mean that she is well suited to be mayor of Nashville, it is grossly unfair to dismiss her career as just a college professor who's said a few controversial things about race.

I'm not doubting her intelligence (pre-going off the deep end) or accomplishments, but I tend to believe success in academia without much experience with anything outside academia doesn't translate to much else.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Flatrock said:

From WSMV News earlier this evening:

'New plan released for Fairgrounds and Soccer Stadium'

http://www.wsmv.com/story/38217995/new-plan-released-for-fairgrounds-and-soccer-stadium

I’m  out of town and I wish I would’ve been at the workshops. But does Wedgewood not connect to Nolensville anymore? That seems insane! 

Just based off the  drawing in that article?!

• Like 1