Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

22 minutes ago, PruneTracy said:

Soccer Stadium Digest puts Nashville at the front of the pack for MLS expansion:

http://soccerstadiumdigest.com/2017/01/handicapping-mls-expansion-january-edition/

Interesting. I'm curious to see what type of bid we put in by the end of the month, can we have a stadium designed that quickly with financing figured out? Do we need those things in place for the bid? I assume we would.

6 hours ago, tragenvol said:

Money talks and b.s. walks, more crass than the article cited above ^^, but how many of the other cities bidding for MLS expansion teams are headed by a billionaire?  David Beckham is certainly well off, but he's no billionaire.  Bend it like Beckham; spend it like Ingram.

As part of his initial contract with LA Galaxy in '07, David Beckham received an option to purchase a MLS franchise for $25 million after he retired. Such a clause was, and is, highly unusual but ultimately a steal as current expansion fees are in the $120 million range.

So Beckham's franchise is happening, and he likes Miami (technically he can go anywhere except New York, but ultimately I don't see him and Pouty Spice or whichever one she is settling down in the likes of flyover cities like Nashville, cosmopolitan as we are). In spite of their previous ignominious exit, the MLS also likes Miami and its, uh, international character. So as soon as they get their stadium issues figured out they are getting their team, probably as one of the later two slots, which leaves three for the rest of us plebes.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PruneTracy said:

As part of his initial contract with LA Galaxy in '07, David Beckham received an option to purchase a MLS franchise for $25 million after he retired. Such a clause was, and is, highly unusual but ultimately a steal as current expansion fees are in the $120 million range.

So Beckham's franchise is happening, and he likes Miami (technically he can go anywhere except New York, but ultimately I don't see him and Pouty Spice or whichever one she is settling down in the likes of flyover cities like Nashville, cosmopolitan as we are).

Yes, Miami Spice will be an MLS actuality.  I was citing David Beckham as the most notable person in any of the competing ownership bids...not that his bid was b.s.  I should have written that more clearly.

2 hours ago, titanhog said:

Personally...I feel like it's a huge mistake to build a soccer stadium away from the downtown inner loop...or at least MidTown...and it would also be a mistake for Vandy to build a stadium away from their campus.

Agreed on both parts, especially for Vandy, they struggle enough to get students to go to games, good luck trying to get them go to an off campus game. 

• Like 2

I, too, think the fairgrounds location would be a miss. It needs to be near restaurants and bars for people to do something before and after.  The CBD and Gulch are out because of the lack of land and costs if there were a parcel that large available.  Germantown, Sobro, Midtown, West End, Music Row, and the East Bank are all possibilities. I would be interested in knowing where our ownership group ranks compared to the other competing cities.  

Some specific locations that could possibly work:

- East bank / River North - use some of the 50 acres the developer is giving the city as "green space."  (only problem...no restaurants / bars in the area yet) (Top Golf site would have been a nice site for a soccer stadium)

- East bank between Jefferson St bridge and the "Main Street" bridge (not sure how much of that land would be readily available...but it's possible)

- East bank land where PSC Metals is located (same issue as always...would PSC sell?  Also...is the land too valuable for Nashville's future to put a soccer stadium on it?)

- Tobacco Mfg. site that Volsfanwill is talking about (would the Tobacco company actually sell?)

- Greer Stadium site - probably the easiest site to reconstruct - still no restaurants / bars...but could change as WeHo begins to turn into a hip neighborhood.  RR tracks and interstates make the site feel "closed off" from downtown.

- Fairgrounds site - no restaurants / bars and an area that's not yet "up-and-coming"...though that could change

- Beaman site (yeah...we know the answer from Beaman...NO)

- Vandy campus - parking lots across the street from football practice fields - share with Vandy

- Rose Park? (public outcry by neighborhood would probably be too much to handle)

After looking at everything...and knowing that unless the investors in the soccer club want to dish out major $$ for land on the east bank...then I have a feeling it will come down to the Fairgrounds...Greer Stadium...or a Vandy Campus stadium.

• Like 2

^ ^ ^ A couple of other potential sites:

- Purity Dairy factory/distribution site on SE corner of Church Street and 14th Ae. North (on the west side of I-40/65 inner loop).  Could be a tight fit that would require reconfiguring 15th Ave. on the west and Grundy St. on the south to make the lot the proper dimensions.

- The State parking lots between Charlotte Ave. on south, Rosa Parks Blvd. on east, CSX tracks on west. Might be a tight fit.

- The TA Nashville trucking terminal lot  with Main St. on south, 1st Street on west, 2nd Street on east, and CSX tracks on north.

- Just north of Marathon Village on the other side of the CSX tracks along 12th Ave North on the east, Herman Street on the north, and 14th Ave. North on the west.  Currently home to building materials companies.

• Like 2

- East bank / River North - use some of the 50 acres the developer is giving the city as "green space."  (only problem...no restaurants / bars in the area yet) (Top Golf site would have been a nice site for a soccer stadium)

Doubt that they would be interested because of the price involved. They have spent 80 million on land acquisitions. Besides, it is in a flood plain.

- East bank between Jefferson St bridge and the "Main Street" bridge (not sure how much of that land would be readily available...but it's possible)

Too many land owners involved and Metro does not want to get into a eminent domain issue again.

- East bank land where PSC Metals is located (same issue as always...would PSC sell?  Also...is the land too valuable for Nashville's future to put a soccer stadium on it?)

Carl Icahn will never sell.

- Tobacco Mfg. site that Volsfanwill is talking about (would the Tobacco company actually sell?)

They would not sell and it would be too expensive to demolish.

- Greer Stadium site - probably the easiest site to reconstruct - still no restaurants / bars...but could change as WeHo begins to turn into a hip neighborhood.  RR tracks and interstates make the site feel "closed off" from downtown.

Maybe

- Fairgrounds site - no restaurants / bars and an area that's not yet "up-and-coming"...though that could change

I hope not as this is really a bad location.

- Beaman site (yeah...we know the answer from Beaman...NO)

Answered your question there.

- Vandy campus - parking lots across the street from football practice fields - share with Vandy

Possible

- Rose Park? (public outcry by neighborhood would probably be too much to handle)

Would not happen there

One option would be on the East bank in between the Shelby St. bridge and KVB bridge.

In the FWIW category.....WeHo is already a hip area. Prices for real estate reflect that. Great galleries, a handful of restaurants and bars... all set to multiply exponentially with some planned developments. All that to suggest - Greer site is not a terrible location: bordered by 8th South and WeHo neighborhoods - and a short hop to downtown. An easy rideshare from any part of urban Nashville. True, the Fairgrounds are less desirable, but not horrific. Again, the area has numerous projects under way and is bordered by WeHo and Berry Hill with quick access to downtown. Just my thoughts. :-)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Flatrock said:

In the FWIW category.....WeHo is already a hip area. Prices for real estate reflect that. Great galleries, a handful of restaurants and bars... all set to multiply exponentially with some planned developments. All that to suggest - Greer site is not a terrible location: bordered by 8th South and WeHo neighborhoods - and a short hop to downtown. An easy rideshare from any part of urban Nashville. True, the Fairgrounds are less desirable, but not horrific. Again, the area has numerous projects under way and is bordered by WeHo and Berry Hill with quick access to downtown. Just my thoughts. :-)

I would prefer Greer over the Fairgrounds...just because it's closer to downtown.  Too bad the hill, RR tracks and interstates cut it off from downtown because it's really close to SoBro, as the crow flies.  But...as all of the area close to Greer continues to improve, I think that area will be even more 'hip'.

• Like 3

"MLS expansion city profile: Nashville"

From Sports Illustrated's profile of Nashville:

MLS Pros

The Ingrams are very wealthy, which will appeal in the MLS board room—as will the fact that Nashville is the North American headquarters for Nissan and Bridgestone. The city itself is increasingly regarded as a hip, up-and-coming tourist destination for more than just country music fans, and MLS wouldn’t mind being associated with a place that’s young and on the rise.

The league wants a national footprint, and Nashville helps provide that even though it’s not a large TV market. It’s a growing city and an MLS team there would be the closest one for more than 12.5 million people across nine states. Prove soccer can make it big in the Southeast and you’ve gone a long way toward building the “soccer nation” that MLS Commissioner Don Garber frequently references.

MLS Cons

Without a definitive stadium plan in place this month, Nashville stands no chance of being awarded one of the next two expansion teams. That leaves it to compete with a bunch of other markets for Nos. 27 and 28—many of which are larger. And unless Ingram can secure a stadium site and the public-private partnership he referenced, Nashville won’t have much of a shot at those either. As he said, they’re just getting started. But that means there’s a lot to do before Music City can be considered a soccer city, and that smaller market like Nashville will have to blow MLS away when the next round of teams is identified.

Full Article: http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2017/01/19/mls-expansion-city-nashville-john-ingram

• Like 3