Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

27 minutes ago, Jamie Hall said:

Is it standard to build MLS stadiums with the goal of other uses -- i.e., concerts or other stadium-type events? Is that the plan here?

I would think that would be the goal of any stadium/arena built today. I think I saw that the Nashville SC would have 17 home games there. 

The rest of the year the owners/city/vendors want that sweet sweet money to keep flowing in so they will schedule as many things as they can.

Until the neighborhood starts to complain. Then there will be a hard stop like Ascend. Or something really crappy like losing Soulshine will happen. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jamie Hall said:

Is it standard to build MLS stadiums with the goal of other uses -- i.e., concerts or other stadium-type events? Is that the plan here?

I don't know about the current renderings, but on the original line drawings the south end zone appeared to have a set of retractable seats/bleachers for a concert stage cutout, similar to Children's Mercy Park or BBVA Compass Stadium. It's not as obvious because the roof overhangs the entire seating section and not just the stage footprint, as at some other soccer-specific stadiums.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 10:00 AM, BnaBreaker said:

Kansas City was a large, established city long before Nashville was, and therefore, is a more 'mature' city, despite the fact that Nashville was established as a village before it.  

Also, most people couldn't tell you a thing about anything, or care about anything outside of their own field of view.  That isn't a metric for judging the value of anything, really.  

Agree, and having just visited there a couple of weeks ago, I will say that KC was a crossroads city during the westward expansion of the country. Speaking of MO, St Louis was the 4th largest US city in 1900 and 1910. My how things have changed. At that same time KC was in the top 20 largest cities. Other cities that have slipped in and out of the top 10 were Baltimore, NOLA, and Cleveland. 

You can also look at the numbers of art deco buildings in these cities to get a feel of the growth they were having.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

If we're talking about double decker interstates I don't understand why we don't entertain the idea of T R I P L E decker interstates, no?

Because Nashville is scared of height....maybe if a parking garage was a pedestal, it might go that high.

Edited by timmay143
  • Haha 2

I see there is another city council vote coming up to try and kill the fairgrounds deal by stripping the 10acres that were added in to the deal. I’m getting emails from the same people behind notax4tracks. I emailed  council members and told them that I was against the bill. I was told from one of them that they need more emails against the bill as they are getting extensive pro emails. You can write an email arguing against this bill to [email protected].

Edited by japan
  • Like 3

It has to get 27 votes on two readings. It passed the first vote but it was perfunctory, ie it was slipped into the council meeting where votes on the budget and the potential tax increases were the main focus. It wasn't even discussed from my understanding. 

Regardless,  yes please email council members

Edited by nashvylle

Some 900 apartments and 200 hotel rooms could be among the featured pieces of the mixed-use development planned next to Nashville's forthcoming $250 million Major League Soccer stadium, just outside of downtown.

Those numbers, and the scope of the project's potential office space and retail space, are revealed in a 101-page traffic study tied to the 10-acre development planned by MarketStreet Enterprises. The Nashville developer, founded by members of the Turner family that created Dollar General Corp. (NYSE: DG), is best recognized as the financier of the Gulch, which is Nashville's highest-profile urban neighborhood.

The figures provide new specificity to MarketStreet's plans for its stadium development, crystallizing how the project would help transform an area that is the city's most vibrant international district — and one that's increasingly on the radar of other developers. To this point, the company had discussed its plans in broad strokes. The deal has generated some level of controversy, in part because Metro will lease the 10-acre site for 99 years to the team's ownership. Ingram has called the development "essential" to the success of the soccer push.

Steve Turner and Jay Turner, the father-and-son duo who lead MarketStreet, hold minority stakes in the investor group that owns the city's soccer franchise. The stadium is planned to open in 2021 at The Fairgrounds Nashville, off of Nolensville Pike.

Majority owner and billionaire John Ingram recruited the Turners to the effort, an addition made public in fall 2017. Major League Soccer formally awarded Nashville an expansion team days before Christmas.

This aerial look shows the 10 acres of mixed-use development planned by MarketStreet Enterprises, adjacent to the existing speedway at The Fairgrounds Nashville. Immediately south of the mixed-use area is where Metro plans to build a $250 million Major League Soccer stadium.

A spokesman for the team ownership called the traffic study a "preliminary snapshot" that reflects the maximum of what would be built. The development plan underpins the traffic projections, which are based on standards set by the Institute of Transportation Engineers.

"We will know the actual density after consulting with Metro Planning, the community and its representatives," spokesman Clint Brewer said in a statement to the Nashville Business Journal. "We also are working toward a community-benefits agreement, which will play into the final density and mix of uses pursued at the site.

"Providing affordable and workforce housing has always been a priority for this development, and it remains one," Brewer added. "However, we will not know the mix of housing units until we complete the planning process."

The chart below details the scope of development laid out in the traffic study. The figures contrast with the development assumed in a February traffic study prepared for Metro government. The upshot: many more apartments, more retail, less office space and the same -sized hotel.

In terms of traffic, the current framework for the development would generate about 11,800 trips a day. That's according to projections done for MarketStreet by Kimley-Horn & Associates Inc., a firm that specializes in engineering, planning and design consulting.

That daily figure is a nearly 30 percent jump from the prior traffic study. The studies also show the new development framework would generate fewer trips during peak morning and afternoon hours.

"Throughout the course of an entire day, the revised mixed-use densities generate slightly larger traffic volumes. However, and of more importance, both the AM and PM peak-hour trip generation is less when compare to the earlier plan," the traffic report states.

MarketStreet has requested a zoning change for the 10 acres of fairgrounds property to allow for this kind of mixed-use development. That plan proposes buildings between six and eight stories tall.

The Metro Planning Commission is scheduled to review the matter at its July 26 meeting. Commission votes are nonbinding, intended to act as guidance for how Metro Council should vote. At three meetings, a majority of the 40-member Metro Council must vote in the affirmative before a zoning change becomes official.

MarketStreet has retained Smith Gee Studio, Barge Cauthen & Associates, and Kimley-Horn to work on the fairgrounds development.

Edited by nashvylle
  • Like 4

I bet these people don't even really know why they're so angry... they're just the type who are perpetually disgruntled, always on the lookout for someone or something to get whipped into a frenzy over and to blame their problems on....

*Also, kind of annoying that next to none of the fanatical drum beating fans of the current Nashville SC bothered to show up for the meeting....

*Also, is that Megan Barry in the foreground?  Lol

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 4