Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

1 hour ago, nashwatcher said:

What if the ownership group paid for the 10 acres and used the proceeds for a parking garage? Or Metro just built a large parking garage there?

A parking garage is absolutely needed there. 2,000 more spaces at least. 

However, I still think it’s going to be a nightmare getting in and out of that place for a soccer game, let alone when when another event is finishing up. 

Can the state fair be held within the racetrack? There was a guy there with the state fair that absolutely made it sound like there was nowhere for the fair, and he was going to sue for sure. 

I know “Save Our Fairgrounds” already tried to sue and it was dismissed, but that was before this particular layout was presented. 

If, if Nashville SC were to build a new state of the art stadium on Vanderbilt’s campus and lease it out to the football team, can real grass be painted effectively from week to week so the football hashmarks are hidden? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, titanhog said:

One thing is for certain...the ownership group and soccer fans in the city are not mobilizing to make very much noise in favor.  You would think Ingram would be putting on an all-out blitz to deliver the votes.

I've been trying to get them mobilized the fans, they were sending people to public meetings but not to anything that was labeled as private for for neighbors. I think they are starting to realize the gravity of the situation now.

2 hours ago, nashwatcher said:

What if the ownership group paid for the 10 acres and used the proceeds for a parking garage? Or Metro just built a large parking garage there?

The reality is the 117 acres is currently TERRIBLY underused. Something needs to be done. It would be worth the investment for Metro to build parking garages, improve the property and get a new soccer team in the deal

The parking situation is still very fluid, the planners a few meetings back said that, that was the biggest problem they were working on now. I think if that is figured out enough to please the majority of the groups it will have more of a fighting chance. It seems like a few strategically placed garages around the 117 ACRES could handle this amount of people. 

The Titans stadium is on 105 acres and they can handle 60,000 people, it's not like the 30,000 seat stadium on a bit more acreage is some insurmountable task. 

1 hour ago, nashvylle said:

If, if Nashville SC were to build a new state of the art stadium on Vanderbilt’s campus and lease it out to the football team, can real grass be painted effectively from week to week so the football hashmarks are hidden? 

I would say no, I watched a game a few weeks ago and the lines and hashmarks where still on the football field and it was confusing as hell to the eye. Also the fans aren't close to the field at all so they miss out on that. Soccer sidelines are tiny compared to football sidelines.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nashvylle said:

However, I still think it’s going to be a nightmare getting in and out of that place for a soccer game, let alone when when another event is finishing up. 

1 hour ago, PaulChinetti said:

The parking situation is still very fluid, the planners a few meetings back said that, that was the biggest problem they were working on now. I think if that is figured out enough to please the majority of the groups it will have more of a fighting chance. It seems like a few strategically placed garages around the 117 ACRES could handle this amount of people. 

The Titans stadium is on 105 acres and they can handle 60,000 people, it's not like the 30,000 seat stadium on a bit more acreage is some insurmountable task. 

Any type of urban stadium is not going to be easy to drive in and out of. Nissan Stadium can handle so many people due to the vast sea of asphalt surface lots. I agree that there should be structured parking on the site, but what about burying a bunch of parking underneath the new fairground buildings? Three or four levels of parking, include loading docks and service elevators to allow vendors vertical access to the operating floors. Then the mixed use buildings that surround the stadium can have combo underground/above ground parking that is public & private and can be utilized for the stadium and the buildings above. This should be an absolute requirement from METRO!! We should barely see any asphalt in this area other than very small surface (streetside?) parking and the vehicle streets. I realize this becomes a very big cost burden, but this is a opportunity to really show off the fairgrounds, speedway and a new development with a revenue generating tenant.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

I agree that there should be structured parking on the site, but what about burying a bunch of parking underneath the new fairground buildings? 

Right now, as proposed, there are only 600 parking spaces by the new flea market. I agree, it needs to be several layers of parking and the flea market on top of that. 

• Like 2

There is something like 6000 spots spread across the entire Fairgrounds. Including using streets on the grounds, the new soccer fields on the Southside, inside the track and various other spots. 

I have to think that number would get bumped up much closer to 9-10k in the final plans, with various garages. 

I wonder what the ground situation is like over there, like how far can they go down before running into water problems, etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PaulChinetti said:

There is something like 6000 spots spread across the entire Fairgrounds. Including using streets on the grounds, the new soccer fields on the Southside, inside the track and various other spots. 

I have to think that number would get bumped up much closer to 9-10k in the final plans, with various garages. 

I wonder what the ground situation is like over there, like how far can they go down before running into water problems, etc.

From the video you sent, it was stated that there are currently ~4,500 spots, and no one could confirm how many spots were in the proposed layout, but the 10 acres development would take away essentially 10 acres of fairgrounds public parking. Assuming 242 spaces/acre over 10 acres, then this 4,500 becomes 2,080 spaces plus the 600 new spaces by the flea market, plus ~300 more in fair park... and maybe 200 spaces in the racetrack (assuming no race is happening). This estimate gets ~3,200 spaces. Not good at all.

How are we doing simple back on the envelope math and realizing there is serious parking shortage here for this development to work? We need closer to 9,000 spaces for the park to be viable. 

6 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

I'm just going off what the planners said in the other meeting. 

I didn't see any of them there, nor have I watched the last hour of this past meeting so I could be mistaken. 

it would have been nice if the traffic consultants were there. Laura Womack did say that a traffic study was taking place. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

The use of Fair Park for parking is definitely a concern for me. granted it wouldn't be used a ton (I hope) but if the stadium is as popular a venue for other events, these could very quickly become destroyed because of cars. 

Water is always a concern with buildings but it is pretty easily conquered. You look at cities like New York, Boston or Miami and they find ways to to eliminate this concern while being right at sea level. Again, this becomes a more cost heavy project with this discussion, but if they utilize something along the lines of a slurry wall technology they could box out the garages, then pump the ground water out and pour a massive mat slab to secure the bottom of the slab. The budget on civil goes through the roof, but it is definitely plausible.

• Like 2

The major issue with the Fairgrounds site is that we're trying to appease too many people.  That amount of acreage would be perfect for the stadium and the 10-acre mixed use buildings...but then you add in a huge racetrack (that can't be moved to fit in seamlessly)...flea market buildings....state fair...community soccer fields...and parking.  I'm just not sure if there was enough foresight on this location before going "all in."  If this fails, that would be another major choice by Mayor Barry's team where they didn't thoroughly think through what the end result might be (over-aggressive transit plan and over-aggressive usage of Fairgrounds site).

• Like 1

One thing I noticed when driving through the area the other day when they were having an event at the Fairgrounds was that traffic was horrible trying to access the place. I didnt know anything was going on and got stuck in the mess. Add a 20 plus thousand person stadium into the mix and I frankly don't know where everyone will go park , not to mention access the parking areas. Did I say, "It was a mess".

There are plans for at least two more entrances to the Fairgrounds on Craighead but yes it's a cluster regardless. 

*And a rejiggering of all the roads in and out of the Fairgrounds.

Especially after the train on 4th & Hart releases a flood of cars and then the light at Nolensivlle and Craighead collapses under the pressure and it becomes one big snarl. 

Hopefully if it happens,  games later in the day (post rush hour) and on weekends it won't be as bad. 

Edited by PaulChinetti
addition

8 hours ago, nashvylle said:

Can the state fair be held within the racetrack? There was a guy there with the state fair that absolutely made it sound like there was nowhere for the fair, and he was going to sue for sure. 

I know “Save Our Fairgrounds” already tried to sue and it was dismissed, but that was before this particular layout was presented. 

Vandy already said that was not an option.

On 7/13/2018 at 4:47 PM, nashvylle said:

I know Vandy said they wouldn't play at The Fairgrounds. I never saw a statement from Vanderbilt that they wouldn't allow a soccer stadium on their campus (either SSS or joint NCAA/SSS). Did I miss that?

You are correct. They eliminated the possibility that they would play in a stadium off campus. 

20 hours ago, japan said:

You are correct. They eliminated the possibility that they would play in a stadium off campus. 

Vandy admin actually seemed kind of into it. Alumni and boosters stepped up and said hell nah.

Edited by DDIG

2 minutes ago, titanhog said:

Which would supposedly mean we won't be getting MLS at all?

Unless the ownership group buys land somewhere else, I think so. 

John ingram said the 10 acres is essential to the deal. 

If this bill is defeated, maybe it will wake people up and realize this is in jeopardy 

7 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

Colby thinks it’s nothing. Said  he had to suspend the rules for the vote. 

Who had to suspend the rules for the vote, Glover? Not sure what you mean by that? 

• Like 1