Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

49 minutes ago, Hey_Hey said:

Is there any chance that a stadium could be built adjacent to Nissan stadium?  Any lost parking could be regained by building a parking structure.  The city owns all of that land, correct?  I would love to get that sea of asphalt broken up by something else.  

The land east of the stadium for parking is where they plan to build a new football stadium when it's time to rebuild.  I'm guessing they'll always leave that stadium land and parking lot land as part of the Titans for that purpose.

5 hours ago, titanhog said:

The land east of the stadium for parking is where they plan to build a new football stadium when it's time to rebuild.  I'm guessing they'll always leave that stadium land and parking lot land as part of the Titans for that purpose.

Yuck.  Years from now when River North is a second downtown and the scrap metal plant is a third downtown, I hope there won't be a stupid surface lot right across from the real downtown.

The new soccer stadium should serve both Vandy and MLS and be located on 21st between West End and Division Street. That area of campus has large shady lawns making for great tailgating and Midtown has what other cities want to create a fun atmosphere with bars, cafes, retail and hotels.  Also, Vandy being a private school may make this easier to turn around than a public school. With Vanderbilt as a partner the stadium can be "top of the line" considering they have over a billion dollar endowment. Traffic would have a better flow with three major streets and mass transit not far behind for both West End and 21st.  Lastly, the Ingrams have a great track record for getting large projects done. Martha Ingram was instrumental in getting The Schermerhorn built. Just saying.....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FrankNash said:

The new soccer stadium should serve both Vandy and MLS and be located on 21st between West End and Division Street. That area of campus has large shady lawns making for great tailgating and Midtown has what other cities want to create a fun atmosphere with bars, cafes, retail and hotels.  Also, Vandy being a private school may make this easier to turn around than a public school. With Vanderbilt as a partner the stadium can be "top of the line" considering they have over a billion dollar endowment. Traffic would have a better flow with three major streets and mass transit not far behind for both West End and 21st.  Lastly, the Ingrams have a great track record for getting large projects done. Martha Ingram was instrumental in getting The Schermerhorn built. Just saying.....

But where is this land you're speaking of?  I don't think there's enough available land to actually do that...is there?  Would it fit between 21st and Lyle, covering up 20th?  If it would...and if all of that land that Vandy doesn't already own could be purchased...I agree, that would be an awesome site!

You could also build it where Lake Palmer's land is.  Use that land and the land across 16th where Downtown Hyundai is located (unless that's owned by Beamon).

But honestly...if it's a stadium they're both going to use, build it on the Vandy campus on this huge lot that appears to be almost all parking at the moment.  It's on their campus...it's close to some restaurants and hotels is somewhat walkable compared to other areas.  Would be a decent compromise...IF they both have to use it.

Football Soccer .jpg

Edited by titanhog
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, FrankNash said:

My understanding is that Vanderbilt now owns all the land between West End Ave. and Broadway and from 20th to 21st. not including the church? If this is so, I think it would be the perfect spot for the town and gown to come together.

Still not sure if that's enough land.  Plus, with the church there and the 11-story building with large parking garage behind it, I'm not sure Vandy would agree to tear it down.   However...I agree, that would be a great location.

12 hours ago, Neigeville2 said:

Yuck.  Years from now when River North is a second downtown and the scrap metal plant is a third downtown, I hope there won't be a stupid surface lot right across from the real downtown.

It sucks but it's a better outcome then moving the stadium out to Southern Williamson county when they can't find land to build the new one on.

I doubt Nashville gets an expansion in these next few rounds.  What they should do is build an MLS ready stadium for the USL team and hope that another franchise bottoms out and we can pick them up.

11 hours ago, FrankNash said:

My understanding is that Vanderbilt now owns all the land between West End Ave. and Broadway and from 20th to 21st. not including the church? If this is so, I think it would be the perfect spot for the town and gown to come together.

Vanderbilt Stadium's footprint does fit between 20th Avenue, 21st Avenue, and Broadway, assuming Terrace Place is removed as well as all buildings on the block except for the church (Qdoba is spared also).

The bigger issue is that the location is opposite campus from all of Vanderbilt's other athletic facilities, including their football practice fields and locker rooms.

1 minute ago, MLBrumby said:

With several colleagues close to Vandy's AD et.al., I'm pretty sure Vandy has no plans to put anything related to athletics at their recently acquired properties adjacent to 21st and Broadway.  I've been told they see far more commercial potential for that site.  I still believe their so-called JV with any soccer team would take place at the site of Greer Stadium, with Vandy putting up much money for the facility. The other site mentioned along 31st which is mostly parking lots right now is another.  Ironically, that option would cost Vandy a lot more money.  That's pretty much all I know about the "behind scenes" workings. 

I still think Vandy would be making a mistake by building off-campus.  Do you know why they believe off-campus could possibly work for them?

• Like 1

Keep in mind, I only have hearsay.  But the reasons for costs made sense.  Greer is almost a greenfield and already zoned for the use.  31st/Blakemore is likely to run into lots of NIMBY opposition on any rezoning for that purpose (I understand would be required).  Plus, they would have to build a new parking structure to compensate for what they'd lose in the new complex.  Other than that, there are a lot of Pros to the latter site. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, grilled_cheese said:

Vandy would absolutely kill their already poor attendance by moving it offsite.  If they do intend to build a new stadium they should demolish the current location and play games at Nissan until their new one is built on the same location.

I don't think there is rrom for a new stadium at the old site unless they  close roads. Larger concourses and locker rooms are needed, plus I'm sure they would love more suites, they will need a much bigger foot print to build a new stadium. 

8 minutes ago, Titans10 said:

I don't think there is room for a new stadium at the old site unless they  close roads. Larger concourses and locker rooms are needed, plus I'm sure they would love more suites, they will need a much bigger foot print to build a new stadium. 

This is very close to scale; an overlay of the existing stadium on the Greer site. A proposed new stadium might not actually require a larger footprint if it goes to two levels.

Greer%20football%20soccer_zpsujcbkmld.jp

And the stadium is a mile and a half from the campus, straight down Edgehill/Chestnut Avenues. They could easily run shuttle buses down the route to shuttle students and alumni there.

They might consider moving it closed to Ft. Negley to give an impressive presence along I-65 and help with marketing. Something along the lines of a University of Minnesota football stadium exterior look-a-like (see below). The Williamson County commuters might think, "Hmm, maybe Soccer this weekend." as they drive by.

University of Minnesota Football Stadium...

Minn%20Football_zpsfgmflj9r.jpg

Also you could require developers to relocate the small museum to the large grassy area just west of where it is now and make it larger, impressive and more notable. Something with large stone and timber. Tourists would see it and think, "Hmmm...Something interesting to do while we're here."

I really don't think the off campus location would hurt local attendance. A comfortable, state of the art stadium with adequate parking might encourage more local support. One negative is a lack of local eateries and drinkeries in the neighborhood.

• Like 2

You'd lose a lot of the students if it wasn't on campus.

Just looking at Google Maps I can see plenty of room to expand for locker rooms and administrative offices at either endzone.  They could also build up or down if they wanted too. 

What about the parking lots just south of the stadium? You wouldn't really lose them as you could put them back where the stadium used to be.  Maybe you'd lost a few if you're going to make the stadium footprint bigger but if that's an issue just build a parking garage next to it.

• Like 2

MLS will score proposals with soccer only stadiums higher than proposals with shared-use stadiums.  Ingram's ties with Vanderbilt would suggest a likely stadium partnership which could hurt Nashville's chances of landing an expansion club.

But....isn't there already a $50 million capital line item in Metro's budget that's been has been rumored as earmarked for a soccer stadium?  If so, then I wouldn't think Metro would assist Vanderbilt's construction of a shared stadium.  

20 minutes ago, tragenvol said:

MLS will score proposals with soccer only stadiums higher than proposals with shared-use stadiums.  Ingram's ties with Vanderbilt would suggest a likely stadium partnership which could hurt Nashville's chances of landing an expansion club.

But....isn't there already a $50 million capital line item in Metro's budget that's been has been rumored as earmarked for a soccer stadium?  If so, then I wouldn't think Metro would assist Vanderbilt's construction of a shared stadium.  

You would think with tax proposals, the Ingram's and Vanderbilt involved it would be pretty easy to come up with 200 millions dollars to fund a very nice stadium. Are we going to see any stadium designs at the end of the month along with the plan given to MLS?

• Like 1

Im pulling for this to happen, but in all honesty, given the populations and pro sports presence of all cities involved, i think many of the cities bidding for this are more deserving than Nashville.  For example, Austin and San Diego...both larger, but both either with one or zero pro sports teams.

41 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

Im pulling for this to happen, but in all honesty, given the populations and pro sports presence of all cities involved, i think many of the cities bidding for this are more deserving than Nashville.  For example, Austin and San Diego...both larger, but both either with one or zero pro sports teams.

UT Austin in itself is a more than one pro sports team in my opinion, and I wonder if MLS officials are concerned about having 3 soccer teams (2 being in LA) all within ~1.5 hours of each other in Southern California. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

UT Austin in itself is a more than one pro sports team in my opinion, and I wonder if MLS officials are concerned about having 3 soccer teams (2 being in LA) all within ~1.5 hours of each other in Southern California. 

Very fair points!