Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

That would be quite the location. 

The August 1st meeting should be a big deciding factor, I know the pro side is planning a big presense and I have to imagine the anti side will be too. Should be a hell of a meeting.

Edited by PaulChinetti
Spelling
  • Like 2

The more I read about this, the more I realize how foolish it was for Mayor Barry and staff to choose the fairgrounds.  First of all...the fight they should have known they would have on their hands.  Secondly...to just throw in a huge soccer stadium, 10 acre mixed use buildings and additional public soccer fields ON TOP OF what's already there and appease EVERYONE is basically a utopian fairytale.

Surely there was a better option?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, titanhog said:

The more I read about this, the more I realize how foolish it was for Mayor Barry and staff to choose the fairgrounds.  First of all...the fight they should have known they would have on their hands.  Secondly...to just throw in a huge soccer stadium, 10 acre mixed use buildings and additional public soccer fields ON TOP OF what's already there and appease EVERYONE is basically a utopian fairytale.

Surely there was a better option?

Decision-making wasn’t her forte. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Pdt2f said:

Decision-making wasn’t her forte. 

Seriously.  Thing is, she could have been a successful mayor...but she obviously didn't have foresight.   Sleeps with her city-hired bodyguard.  Overshoots on transit proposal.  Decides to place our MLS stadium at a site that has been a political battleground for decades.

4 minutes ago, titanhog said:

Seriously.  Thing is, she could have been a successful mayor...but she obviously didn't have foresight.   Sleeps with her city-hired bodyguard.  Overshoots on transit proposal.  Decides to place our MLS stadium at a site that has been a political battleground for decades.

Plus the whole Metro General in-patient fiasco immediately before she was going to ask the people that hospital benefits to vote on her $5.4 billion transit plan. 

42 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

What other area could it have been? 

I think they were ready for the fight. Then she got caught and the people who took over had to get elected instead of focusing on it. I still say it has a decent chance. 

I don't know where else it could have gone...but the fairgrounds has never been the perfect place (somewhere within the loop would have been ideal if someone could have made that work out).  And it's not so much about location as it is the history of that place and the almost Hatfield & McCoy's type bickering that's gone on for years over that race track...the fair...and the flea market.   Barry isn't the first politician that's tried to do something with that parcel of land and have to fight the crazies.

If this stadium gets built there...I do think it will be a great addition to the area and the people opposed will eventually accept it.  But...I sure wish we could have found something within the loop.  Heck...any of those places that Mark Hollin mentioned in the MLB thread would have been nice.  And...with a billionaire in charge...I'm sure he could have made something work on one of those pieces of land.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jamie Hall said:

The fairgrounds wasn't my favorite site, but in regards to "on top of what's already there" ... I've been to several events at the fairgrounds, and as best I can tell, there's not much else there.

Here's the issue:  On this acreage, the way it is being proposed...you will have:

1. Race track

2. Flea Market Buildings

3. Public park / soccer fields

4. MLS Stadium

5. 10 acres of Mixed use buildings (office, retail, residential)

6. State Fair

7. Parking (for MLS, Race Track, Flea Market, Mixed Use)

Now...you would think that 117 acres would be enough for all of this...but when you throw in a Race Track (which is WAY bigger than the MLS stadium and can not be moved and situated to a more suitable location on the lot) and a MLS stadium...things get tricky...especially considering that a lot of land is taken up by the soccer fields / park.  If they could turn the soccer fields into parking, that would make things easier.

If they can make it all fit appropriately...it could turn out to be an awesome place.  But the parking issue is a real one.

636632587425958218-mls2.jpg

Btw...what's the reasoning of why they didn't just place the MLS stadium and mixed use buildings over where they're locating the flea market buildings?  Seems like the easier fix and wouldn't have had to tear anything down?  Also seems like a similar sized footprint.

2 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

Yup they changed it so that the Flea Market wouldn’t be closed for 2 years while it’s under construction. 

So does that mean they can't knock down the current flea market buildings until they build the new buildings...meaning they can't start on the stadium until after all of that is done?

59 minutes ago, titanhog said:

So does that mean they can't knock down the current flea market buildings until they build the new buildings...meaning they can't start on the stadium until after all of that is done?

No the new buildings would be finished. Then the stadium would start. Move in date for the team would be 2021.   

Nothing is finalized obviously but that’s how I understood it. 

• Like 2

On 7/24/2018 at 9:08 PM, titanhog said:

Here's the issue:  On this acreage, the way it is being proposed...you will have:

1. Race track

2. Flea Market Buildings

3. Public park / soccer fields

4. MLS Stadium

5. 10 acres of Mixed use buildings (office, retail, residential)

6. State Fair

7. Parking (for MLS, Race Track, Flea Market, Mixed Use)

Now...you would think that 117 acres would be enough for all of this...but when you throw in a Race Track (which is WAY bigger than the MLS stadium and can not be moved and situated to a more suitable location on the lot) and a MLS stadium...things get tricky...especially considering that a lot of land is taken up by the soccer fields / park.  If they could turn the soccer fields into parking, that would make things easier.

If they can make it all fit appropriately...it could turn out to be an awesome place.  But the parking issue is a real one.

636632587425958218-mls2.jpg

Btw...what's the reasoning of why they didn't just place the MLS stadium and mixed use buildings over where they're locating the flea market buildings?  Seems like the easier fix and wouldn't have had to tear anything down?  Also seems like a similar sized footprint.

Just as a polite reminder WE LIVE IN A CITY!! Land and space will -- and for the most part always -- be hard to come by because a city will always grow and densify and as we use up more and more of the inner city land, our cities will expand to the outer portions of the limits. The flea market are is a destitute to the city as it currently sits on the site, because those buildings are remarkably inefficient, old and crumbling and quite honestly need to be replaced. I also believe this site was picked as it was situated on a main spur of the proposed transit plan. When we finally get a transit system beyond just buses that takes people out of the car, this area will be a destination in terms where transit should go. The stadium, combined with the constant tax revenue of the mixed use and the potential for other events to be held at the flea market buildings is an amazing opportunity for the city as a whole

I find the idea of creating a new urban development around a racetrack/sport development is an interesting concept. My biggest concern about all this development though (which never clicked for me) is what happens when people are living in these mixed use developments and then they decide to complain about the racetrack being loud? How long until the residents line up and petition to close the racetrack? That would a heartbreak for the area.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bos2Nash said:

I find the idea of creating a new urban development around a racetrack/sport development is an interesting concept. My biggest concern about all this development though (which never clicked for me) is what happens when people are living in these mixed use developments and then they decide to complain about the racetrack being loud? How long until the residents line up and petition to close the racetrack? That would a heartbreak for the area.

That was one of the smaller points that was brought up in a meeting. I think it will definitely be a interesting and unique area, possibly even bringing in new fans to the track. I think they could appease some of the anti-crowd if they extended the racetracks lease. They just signed a new 5 year lease. Extend it out to 15-25 years and that will give it a home for an extended period. If it closes down before then so be it. But it gives the race crowd a solid home that they can continue to build on.

• Like 2

https://www.nashville.gov/document/ID/c38c0241-38a0-4f16-9689-fc546fcccce1/August-1-2018-comments-received-July-25.pdf

https://www.nashville.gov/document/ID/2537ddbe-7f5f-4c80-88b5-36c97b77d0cc/August-1-2018-comments-received-through-July-25.pdf

Metro has posted the comments they have received so far. Lots of positive comments and then a big petition from the Venders.

"incress crime" is my favorite. 

Edited by PaulChinetti
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

Just as a polite reminder WE LIVE IN A CITY!! Land and space will -- and for the most part always -- be hard to come by because a city will always grow and densify and as we use up more and more of the inner city land, our cities will expand to the outer portions of the limits. The flea market are is a destitute to the city as it currently sits on the site, because those buildings are remarkably inefficient, old and crumbling and quite honestly need to be replaced. I also believe this site was picked as it was situated on a main spur of the proposed transit plan. When we finally get a transit system beyond just buses that takes people out of the car, this area will be a destination in terms where transit should go. The stadium, combined with the constant tax revenue of the mixed use and the potential for other events to be held at the flea market buildings is an amazing opportunity for the city as a whole

OK!!  (just yelling back) :thumbsup:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

2/3's of the signatures on one of the petitions gave the Fairgrounds as their address. My guess is none of them live in Davidson.

Edited by Rockatansky
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Rockatansky said:

2/3's of the signatures on one of the petitions gave the Fairgrounds as their address. My guess is none of them live in Davidson.

Exactly.  I pray the commission notices that. 

Also, the referendum in 2011 was to keep the existing uses, not a referendum on anything else being added to the fairgrounds. 

• Like 2