Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

I've been a little out of the loop on this, but I hope this goes through. The signs are promising, right? I have been reading local Nashville news articles that were summarizing all the approved plans. Is public outcry the only thing that could put our MLS bid in jeopardy? Can anything actually stop this from happening? I thought everything had been approved, but I guess I was very wrong.

About the outside influence, that must be frustrating. But I doubt a lot of non-Davidson Co. surburbanites are raising the fuss.  The complaints outside of Davidson County are more than likely from people living in rural areas. I apologize if this is stereotypical, but you won't find too many people from the uppity suburbs hanging around the Fairgrounds. I'm positive that if Williamson County residents had a say in the matter, most would be either indifferent or in favor. Honestly, when I was growing up there as a teenager, we weould go to the Williamson County fair and shun the State Fair. I heard the same from friends in Rutherford County.

On 7/26/2018 at 7:42 PM, PaulChinetti said:

You misspelled "in cress", there, Scooter :lol:

1 hour ago, nativetenn said:

I've been a little out of the loop on this, but I hope this goes through. The signs are promising, right? I have been reading local Nashville news articles that were summarizing all the approved plans. Is public outcry the only thing that could put our MLS bid in jeopardy? Can anything actually stop this from happening? I thought everything had been approved, but I guess I was very wrong.

I think MLS is showing their hand a little when they are projecting a 2020 start for NSC in Nissan Stadium while the Fairgrounds stadium is constructed.

Obviously, they want a long-term stadium deal secured (with that sweet, sweet development money), and the ownership group says there's no deal without the stadium at the Fairgrounds, but if they're willing to slum it up at the Car Hole for at least one season, then they probably will for more if needed.

My bet is that even if the Fairgrounds stadium falls through, the franchise is secured.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, nativetenn said:

But I doubt a lot of non-Davidson Co. surburbanites are raising the fuss.  The complaints outside of Davidson County are more than likely from people living in rural areas. 

Is it technically illegal to check ID's at these public hearing and only allow Davidson residents in? 

I recall a post I made some time ago that caused quite a debate. I said "I would love to see the demographics about these people." and many took that to mean I was bad-mouthing car-racing fans, or suggesting they were all overweight rednecks, but the truth was I meant that I would love to learn that all these Anti-MLS people who wanted to preserve the flea-market and racetrack weren't even from this city.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, NashvilleObserver said:

Is it technically illegal to check ID's at these public hearing and only allow Davidson residents in? 

I recall a post I made some time ago that caused quite a debate. I said "I would love to see the demographics about these people." and many took that to mean I was bad-mouthing car-racing fans, or suggesting they were all overweight rednecks, but the truth was I meant that I would love to learn that all these Anti-MLS people who wanted to preserve the flea-market and racetrack weren't even from this city.

I would definitely think a lot of people who use the racetrack and flea market are from not only outside of Davidson County...but some are probably from outside of the metro region.

• Like 1

Lmao... and I love how they talk about investment into their neighborhood and the prospect of new retail and restaurant options coming to their community like it's a BAD thing... I wish they'd just come out and say, 'hey, ya know what, maybe it's irrational and unfounded, but despite the reassurances from metro, I'm afraid that all of this shiny new development will force me out of this neighborhood I've been in for years.'  Because that's obviously the fear here, and I'd respect them emensely for their authenticity and candor, and at that point we could all then work together as a community to actually move forward.  Why they think it's a good move to constantly sink inward, put up their walls, and lash out, every time there is change that makes them nervous makes absolutely no sense to me.  Seriously, in any other aspect of life, who (outside of DC... ha)  makes it their first instinct to immediately close themselves off and start slinging lies when confronted with an obstacle?  It's just bizarre. 

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

I am sure the anti crowd will disagree, but yes this lease payment is good to see. 

Oh I'm sure, maybe the city could quiet them down by saying they can renegotiate their lease if they think it's unfair that they are paying so much less than MLS. haha

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, nashvylle said:

Nashville Soccer Holdings has agreed to pay $200K/year for the 10 acres (for 30 years, co-terminus with the MLS agreement).

This lease payment is similar to the $186K/year payment that the raceway pays per year for their 5 year contract. 

More at Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2018/07/30/nashville-mls-ownership-would-pay-city-lease-fairgrounds-land-private-use/862855002/

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/07/30/mayors-office-reveals-new-details-for-mls-stadium.html

• Thanks 1

Regarding demographics...

This cuts both ways really.  I live outside of Nashville but will heavily support MLS if it happens and wish I had a truly effective avenue to help lobby for the club.  We support the Preds with season tickets and the Titans with a few games a season.  It's quite possible we generate more for the city of Nashville per year in tax dollars than many who actually live within Davidson County.

Granted that simply lends itself to just letting both sides of the "outside of Davidson" crowd cancel each other out and simply make it a Davidson County fight, which is of course what is being said here.

Edited by glamdring269
  • Like 1

So now its a lease just like they have on their little slice of Fairgrounds hell. I guarantee that Ingram is paying  lot more per sq. ft. over the long haul than these tiny little flea venders will ever pay.

These are the folks that have minds that will never be opened to anything other than RACIN, THE FAR(fair), AND MY FLEE MAARKKKET said in a hillbilly drawl.

• Haha 1

Parking is going to be a huge issue as well as traffic flow in and out of the stadium. If I were a betting man, I would say once this project is voted on  and passed, there will be a number of mixed use developments pop up around the Fairgrounds. Lots of under used property in the area that would move if offered the right price. Going to see a lot of land deals here soon if the deal passes.

Everything in between Craighead, Nolensville road, and Napoleon Ave will come into play and eventually everything south of Napoleon Ave. Lots of small businesses that will make a killing when they sale.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Your needing 25,000 spaces or so. That does not even get you a 10th of the way there.

You certainly do not need 25,000 spaces for a 27,500 or 30,000 seat stadium. 

You need probably 10k spaces. All I am saying is not all 10k have to be directly on site. I think I read somewhere that ~6,500 will be onsite (still needs to be confirmed) 

• Like 3