Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

3 hours ago, whatwhat said:

We could just put it on top of the convention center, there's already grass there! :tw_grin:  Just level it out and add some bleachers.

Why even bother leveling it out?  It could just be our little quirk...like the Green Monster at Fenway!  Teams will know when you come to play soccer in Nashville, you'll have to run up hill! lol

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nashvylle said:

Mayor Barry is proposing The Fairgrounds for the stadium. 

I personally like this idea. I know others will disagree, but more important to me to get the team. 

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2017/01/26/mayor-barry-propose-pro-soccer-stadium-nashville-fairgrounds/97081920/

I agree that getting the team is more important than the stadium location, but I'm afraid the Fairgrounds may not help our chances very much.  Even though we're late to the party, because the ownership group, geography, and city-buzz is strong, I think we'd have a really good shot at landing an expansion team if the stadium were awesome and in a cool location, but I doubt the Fairgrounds are going to blow anyone at the MLS out of the water.  I hope I'm wrong since it sounds like Berry is trying to put an end to any discussion about other sites that may be happening.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Titans10 said:

Excuse my ignorance on fairgrounds redeveloping but does this mean the possible end to the race track, or is there enough property for both the track and an MLS stadium, that track has too much history to just be cast aside. Is the speedway still used anymore??

I would assume an end to the racetrack.

15 minutes ago, Titans10 said:

Excuse my ignorance on fairgrounds redeveloping but does this mean the possible end to the race track, or is there enough property for both the track and an MLS stadium, that track has too much history to just be cast aside. Is the speedway still used anymore??

Believe there is enough room for both

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Titans10 said:

From the article:  "Barry's preliminary plan includes long-needed upgrades to the Fairgrounds Speedway, while leaving existing facilities at the 117-acre, Metro-owned site. It would further accelerate a makeover in the works for the fairgrounds, where new recreational soccer fields are slated."

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, etimer13 said:

From the article:  "Barry's preliminary plan includes long-needed upgrades to the Fairgrounds Speedway, while leaving existing facilities at the 117-acre, Metro-owned site. It would further accelerate a makeover in the works for the fairgrounds, where new recreational soccer fields are slated."

I guess I should have read the whole article

Looks like the idea for the Fairgrounds soccer stadium would be to build it initially at around 5,000 capacity for the USL franchise, and then, if Nashville were ever granted a MSL franchise, to expand the facility to 20,000+.

http://www.nashvillepost.com/sports/sports-business/blog/20850284/mayor-barry-to-propose-soccer-stadium-at-fairgrounds

NPR reported that Mayor Barry wanted to keep/upgrade the racetrack, keep/upgrade the flea market area, add soccer practice fields IN ADDITION TO the soccer stadium... Is there really enough room for all of this at the fairgrounds?

Also, how often does the racetrack have a race? How much revenue does it bring in per race? How many people actually go to these races? The same goes for the flea market.... Based on the pictures I've seen of the place, it looks like a collection of abandoned buildings. Is it honestly worth keeping?

1 minute ago, Rockatansky said:

In my opinion, no. But stay it will. A referendum passed a couple of years ago that preserves current uses at the fairgrounds.

I feel like this is a hate or love scenario when it comes to the racetrack.
While I personally don't have an opinion one way or the other, my father feels strongly about it.
He has been going to the track since a small child, he has raced at that track, and he now currently helps out on the team of a young up and coming driver. Its easy to see why it means so much to him and others who share a background like my father.

If there was a way to revive the fairgrounds area, including the racetrack, and the addition of professional soccer, I believe it would only benefit the area around it.

With that being said, I wish they would take the yearly state fair more seriously.
With all of the renovations planned for the fairgrounds, I think it has the potential to be a nicer more genuine experience. 

• Like 2

I'm no racing history buff, but apparently the Nashville speedway at the Fairgrounds is quite historic. Anyone have any info on this? 

It was a premier track at one point in time, hosting NASCAR races yearly. Some of the most well known names in that world have cut their teeth at that track. There is a lot of history at that track that is easy to appreciate when it's sought out. It's easy to look down on the track at this time simply because it's had bad management since the late 90's and now it's a fraction of what it used to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, SoundScan said:

I'd prefer to keep the race track, assuming that the current or new management can find more creative ways to use it, e.g. Cars & Coffee meets, auto-X events, etc.

agreed!

them embracing various forms of automotive enthusiast would make me very happy. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Flatrock said:

WeHo borders the Fairgrounds and it's already pretty much been transformed. It's headed south - and the Fairgrounds area will benefit.  

Is WeHo actually a thing? Hi Ho Hi Ho it's off to WeHo we go

I would be upset if the track was demolished but not for the same reasons most people are. Every Wednesday during the warmer months there are Crit Races (Bicycle races) held there and they are a blast to watch. I actually hope to race in them this year. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

I'm no racing history buff, but apparently the Nashville speedway at the Fairgrounds is quite historic. Anyone have any info on this? 

It is the second-oldest motorsports venue in the United States still operating, behind the Milwaukee Mile. Opened in 1904. Something to think about when residents nearby complain about the noise; I'm fairly confident none of them moved in before races were held there.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bhibbs said:

I feel like this is a hate or love scenario when it comes to the racetrack.
While I personally don't have an opinion one way or the other, my father feels strongly about it.
He has been going to the track since a small child, he has raced at that track, and he now currently helps out on the team of a young up and coming driver. Its easy to see why it means so much to him and others who share a background like my father.

If there was a way to revive the fairgrounds area, including the racetrack, and the addition of professional soccer, I believe it would only benefit the area around it.

With that being said, I wish they would take the yearly state fair more seriously.
With all of the renovations planned for the fairgrounds, I think it has the potential to be a nicer more genuine experience. 

My dad loves the track to, he used to go to races all the time growing up, he took me to a race when I was a kid and I had a lot of fun, it could be a cool thing for the area if it was managed right! 

• Like 1