Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

I haven't been able to follow all of this drama as closely as I'd like, but it's a shame that it seems that people have been coming out of the woodwork to totally derail new projects at any cost. This MLS team would be such an amazing asset to the city and a beacon of hope to the future of the fairgrounds. If anything, I feel that those pushing this stadium away fail to think about how a lack of investment could be a detriment for the land's future. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, henburg said:

I haven't been able to follow all of this drama as closely as I'd like, but it's a shame that it seems that people have been coming out of the woodwork to totally derail new projects at any cost. This MLS team would be such an amazing asset to the city and a beacon of hope to the future of the fairgrounds. If anything, I feel that those pushing this stadium away fail to think about how a lack of investment could be a detriment for the land's future. 

Yeah...I think those people who believe they "own" the fairgrounds don't understand it is a city owned piece of land...meaning it belongs to all of the taxpayers of the county.  So...there could very easily come a day when the city just decides they'll sell that land at market price to the highest bidder and bye-bye flea market and race track.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Lukewarm good news:

From my read, it appears the legality of a referendum for the ground lease and stadium financing is debatable at best (since ground lease can't be voted on and stadium financing is revenue bonds), but general obligation bonds can be added to a referendum, since they will be paid out of the general fund? I expect Cooper to file an amended resolution before Tuesday's meeting.

What is not clear is whether Rule 8 (Sledge automatically deferring the resolution 2 weeks) can be applied since it's a county wide referendum. If Rule 8 can be applied, the resolution will be within 75 days of the ballot and can't happen. 

@bwithers1 Please do not support this last minute resolution. The parameters were clearly outlined in November, and any sort of resolution added at the last minute is really bad policy for any metro council. 

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2018/08/17/nashville-tn-mls-stadium-attorney-raises-legal-concerns-referendum-proposals-major-league-soccer/1018320002/

Edited by nashvylle
  • Like 2

So the "$50 million in general obligation bonds for fairgrounds upgrades and infrastructure work." would be put to a vote, that would be beyond HILARIOUS if that didn't pass and then the stadium just got built anyways and then no extra money went to the Fairgrounds. Am I reading it wrong?

I mean I know there end goal is no change at the Fairgrounds but how would this referendum stop the stadium from happening?

3 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

So the "$50 million in general obligation bonds for fairgrounds upgrades and infrastructure work." would be put to a vote, that would be beyond HILARIOUS if that didn't pass and then the stadium just got built anyways and then no extra money went to the Fairgrounds. Am I reading it wrong?

I mean I know there end goal is no change at the Fairgrounds but how would this referendum stop the stadium from happening?

The $50MM would go towards rebuilding the flea market at the separate location. So I guess in theory the stadium could be built where the flea market is proposed to go, and the mixed use development could still happen, and then nothing for the existing buildings, but they stay on the hill. 

1 hour ago, PaulChinetti said:

That is the way I read it as well. That would be hilarious. 

@joeygarrison: NEW: Metro Council's Budget and Finance Committee votes 7-5 to recommend DISAPPROVAL of plan to demolish buildings at the fairgrounds to make way for the proposed MLS stadium. The same ordinance would institute a ticket tax.

Not good at all. Looks like the “Save Our Fairgrounds” folks are going to win again. 

• Sad 2

Every single one of these CMs voting against the stadium deal are strictly doing it because it’s at the fairgrounds. 

Cooper is repeatedly saying he wants it somewhere else. 

Glover Hastings hall Haywood all are saying metro center 

just freaking build it at Vanderbilt or pay more for the 10 acres. 

They don’t want the Fairgrounds to change @nashwatcher, I’m afraid no matter what is proposed at this point. The No-votes are going to stay no’s.

They complained they weren’t paying anything for the 10 acres.

So they paid for it.

Then it wasn’t enough for the 10 acres.

So they agreed to pay more. 

Now they want the 10 acres off the table.

It’s never going to end until they torpedo the deal.  

Sigh. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Could the deal as we know it be killed tomorrow, via no approval of ground lease or 10 acres? 

Well there is no vote tomorrow. So technically no. 

I’d been very optimistic about this deal. But just after replying to Garrison on Twitter 3 people started @‘ing me saying they didn’t want the deal. 

One was against for traffic (would be for it if there was a transit hub), one cause money for the city would be on the hook for. One told me to watch the Channel 4 lady for the “truth”. 

I've been trying to tell you guys from the beginning that putting this thing at the Fairgrounds was a mistake.  We've all seen the battles that have gone on for years regarding that piece of land.  I'm telling you...that land is cursed.   Ingram would have already broken ground if he would have gone out and found ANY other piece of land.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

Well there is no vote tomorrow. So technically no. 

I’d been very optimistic about this deal. But just after replying to Garrison on Twitter 3 people started @‘ing me saying they didn’t want the deal. 

One was against for traffic (would be for it if there was a transit hub), one cause money for the city would be on the hook for. One told me to watch the Channel 4 lady for the “truth”. 

Saw your tweet, Paul. I see you’ve met Ryan. We both live on Moore, and she’s full of it talking about the Warp Tour. It took me no extra time to get off our street. 

5 minutes ago, DMilner said:

Saw your tweet, Paul. I see you’ve met Ryan. We both live on Moore, and she’s full of it talking about the Warp Tour. It took me no extra time to get off our street. 

Ha!

It seems sometimes on twitter, as if I’m personally responsible for gentrification of Nashville. Or that I’m a monster because , GASP, I would like an easily accessible sports stadium within walking distance, inside the 440 loop.