Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

Not a fan of the fairground location AT ALL.  Build it next to/near Nissan.  Keep everyone downtown.  I'm sorry that South Nashville has been a dump for the last few decades but that does not mean we should sacrifice the quality of the stadium just to attempt to revitalize one specific area of town.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grilled_cheese said:

Not a fan of the fairground location AT ALL.  Build it next to/near Nissan.  Keep everyone downtown.  I'm sorry that South Nashville has been a dump for the last few decades but that does not mean we should sacrifice the quality of the stadium just to attempt to revitalize one specific area of town.

The revitalization of "one specific area of town" goes toward the eventual revitalization of various parts of the city. Private developers are going to revitalize and redevelop various areas of Nashville or any city by themselves with little to no incentives from the city; however, some areas need a boost that has to be initiated by the city. 

Why do you think the quality of the stadium would be subject to a specific location? If anything, this could provide more flexibility in the design. Is the fairground the most flashy location? Of course not, but the fairgrounds allows certain parameters that other locations won't. Look into the future and play the what if game. If Nashville doesn't land an MLS franchise, would you really want a 5,500 seat stadium downtown when that land could be developed into a new stadium for the Titans in the future or some other development? This is the realistic outlook on this location. You have room for additional/upgraded infrastructure that a downtown location won't allow. An additional stadium footprint downtown or adjacent to Nissan removes surface parking. That in itself might require the development of structured parking at approximately $20,000 per space. Quick math says that's expensive and who would pay for that? 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, grilled_cheese said:

If the put the stadium at the fairgrounds they will get zero dollars from me.  I know a lot of other people who feel the same way.  Terrible idea.

Why is that though? If someone is a soccer fan or looking for entertainment in the form of professional or semi professional sports, they will attend the game regardless of where it is; especially if it's a new stadium located within the core. Are you just specifically against the fairgrounds?  

How many people called SoBro a dump before the significant investment was made there? 

• Like 1

The only reason I'm opposed to it is that there is a lot of history of pro sports teams building in entertainment districts / downtowns...and a lot of history of them building away from those areas.  There's a reason why they prefer the former and why most do their best to build near the downtown and have moved away from building in unproven areas.

Yes...if you're only going to build a 5k seat "minor-league" type facility...the Fairgrounds is perfect.  But if it's going to be an MLS stadium...and you want to impress the MLS...I think they'll look at the Fairgrounds and compare it to Nissan, Bridgestone and First TN Park and realize maybe the MLS wasn't as "important" to the city to find a way to get them where the tourists / locals gather.

Have no problem with the city trying to help improve a part of the city that deserves the help.  Just wonder if the MLS will be impressed or not.

Btw...I'm not suggesting the city find another place.  The Fairgrounds is where they're willing to help out.  However...if the money guys with Nashville SC want to impress the MLS, they may have a Plan B location and may be willing to dig into their own pockets to pay for the land.  The only question is whether the city would allow a stadium where they may want to build.  (of course...I'm speculating.  For all I know, Nashville SC could be jumping up and down about the Fairgrounds :D)

Edited by titanhog
  • Like 4

No stadium design or financing plan...yet.

When Mayor Megan Barry meets with Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber Tuesday, she won't have a stadium proposal to show him. Barry said Monday that no renderings exist of a potential MLS stadium at the Fairgrounds Nashville and that a formal plan for a stadium at the site is still about six months away.

Barry said Monday her trip to New York is meant to demonstrate Metro's support for an MLS team, but that a financing plan for the stadium is not yet in place.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2017/01/30/mayorbarry-long-road-ahead-to-fairgrounds-stadium.html

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SumnerCountian said:

If that is the case, then Nashville is not getting a team. 

Not necessarily, if I'm not mistaking there is another chance in November, a lot can happen between now and then, especially if the city and Ingram's are working together and land has already been found to build a stadium on. 

• Like 1

When the arena was built, we tried to lure an existing NBA and NHL team,  We ended up with an Expansion NHL team, which was a very long shot at the time,  and an existing NFL team.  

anything can happen.  I wouldn't count us out.  But at the same time.  you never know, some MLB owner might take notice and speed up their move.  

• Like 4

12 cities expected to compete for the MLS teams with the deadline today.  Some stadium renders included in the article.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2017/01/31/a-dozen-u-s-cities-are-vying-for-two-mls-expansion.html

Charlotte:

Behind the bid: Marcus Smith, CEO of Speedway Motorsports

Stadium plans: Includes $175 million to replace Memorial Stadium and the Grady Cole Center with a new 22,000-seat soccer facility in Charlotte's Elizabeth neighborhood. Smith and his investment group have agreed to fund half of the project.

Cincinnati:

Behind the bid: Carl Lindner III, businessman who owns the FC Cincinnati soccer team

Stadium plans: Stadium site evaluations are currently underway, according to the Cincinnati Inquirer.

Detroit:

Behind the bid: Tom Gores and Dan Gilbert, owners of the Detroit Pistons and Cleveland Cavaliers, respectively

Stadium plans: includes the pair's plans for $1 billion in development at a downtown jail site to include a 25,000-seat soccer stadium, according to the Detroit Free Press.

Nashville:

Behind the bid: John Ingram, chairman of Ingram Industries Inc.; former Tennessee Department of Economic and Community Development commissioner Bill Hagerty

Stadium plans: No renderings exist of a potential MLS stadium at the Fairgrounds Nashville and a formal plan for a stadium at the site is still about six months away.

Raleigh/Durham:

Behind the bid: Steve Malik, serial entrepreneur and Carolina RailHawks owner

Stadium plans: Three alternatives for a stadium site. One is upgrading the current WakeMed Soccer Park, adding a 22,000 and two more that were undisclosed. But one, presumably, would be a site in downtown Raleigh, as North Carolina FC officials have consistently said MLS prefers an urban location and covets millennials. One rendering includes a 22,000-seat stadium with a translucent roof. A price of about $150 million has been given, according to CBJ sister publication, the Triangle Business Journal.

Indianapolis:

Behind the bid: Ersal Ozdemir, real estate developer and owner of the Indy Eleven soccer club

Stadium plans: An unsettled stadium issue persists but new stadium figures have come in at more than $100 million, according to The Indianapolis Star.

Phoenix:

Behind the bid: Berke Bakay, president and CEO of Kona Grill, advertising executive Tim Riester; JLL Managing Director Mark Detmer and Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Brandon McCarthy(own the Phoenix Rising FC)

Stadium plans: Includes the group's previously announced plans for a soccer stadium and other facilities on 15.6 acres near the Tempe and Scottsdale border, according to CBJ sister publication, the Phoenix Business Journal.

Sacramento:

Behind the bid: Warren Smith, president of Sacramento Republic FC

Stadium plans: The team has city approval for a 20,000-plus-seat stadium, and team officials said construction could begin immediately if MLS gives Sacramento the nod, according to CBJ sister publication, the Sacramento Business Journal.

St. Louis:

Behind the bid: Jim Kavanaugh, CEO of World Wide Technology

Stadium plans: The approximately 100-page SC STL application outlines the group’s financial wherewithal and ability to fund a $140 million stadium,which is being planned just west of Union Station. It also provides information about SC STL’s ability to garner stadium or jersey-front naming rights, according to CBJ sister publication, the St. Louis Business Journal.

San Antonio:

Behind the bid: SS&E, owns and operates the San Antonio Spurs, among other sports organizations in the city

Stadium plans: Renovations and upgrades planned for Toyota Field, a publicly-owned soccer stadium that seats about 8,000, according to Sports Illustrated. Specifics on project details and financing were not available.

San Diego:

Behind the bid: Mike Stone, founder of FS Investors, former Qualcomm President Steve Altman; technology entrepreneurs Massih and Masood Tayeb; Padres owner and local investor Peter Seidler and sports media executive Juan Carlos Rodriguez.

Stadium plans: A privately-financed 30,000-seat facility on the Mission Valley site where Qualcomm Stadium sits, according to the MLS. The $200 million venue would replace Qualcomm Stadium, which would be shared with a college football team, with development of housing, retail, college facilities and a 55-acre river park also listed as part of the package, according to The San Diego Union-Tribune.

Tampa/St. Petersburg:

Behind the bid: Tampa Bay Rowdies owner Bill Edwards

Stadium plans: An $80 million renovation to Al Lang Stadium. Edwards says he will finance that construction, along with the cost of the referendum required to make improvements to the city-owned stadium, himself, according to CBJ sister publication, the Tampa Bay Business Journal.

• Like 1

Obviously I'm rooting for Nashville, but I don't think we stand a chance here.  Obviously, given that Nashville is one of the hottest cities in the country I'd be stupid to count us out entirely.  I didn't even expect us to get this far.  However, as far as I can tell, Nashville has one of the weakest bids of the bunch.  Unlike most of the other cities, we have zero history with pro soccer and no stadium plan to speak of. Then, combine that with the fact that, when compared to many of the cities on the list (San Diego, Sacramento, San Antonio etc.) we are already borderline saturated with professional sports given our overall market size.  All we really have in our corner is the fact that we're a growing city and have people with a lot of money backing our bid.  I think we'd be better off shooting for the next MLS expansion.

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, PruneTracy said:

Here's a few doses of optimism.

• Charlotte's city council rejected funding for the Memorial Stadium site.
  • Wayne County last week issued an RFP to complete a jail at Detroit's stadium site.
  • St. Louis still has to hold a referendum on contributing funds for an MLS stadium in their city, two years after they rejected funding for an NFL stadium.
  • San Diego would put three teams in Southern California (LAFC is already on its way).

Another thing, renderings and proposals are easy to make. The Raiders took their LA stadium proposal, slapped the Luxor in the background, and called it their Vegas stadium proposal. It's eye candy, yes, but it doesn't really mean anything if you don't have the property locked down, cost estimates are still very broad, etc.

Nashville has one thing a lot of these cities don't, which is publicly-owned land with a commitment to using it. Metro Council hasn't weighed in on it yet, obviously, but it's a step closer than many who are either banking on winning over officials, purchasing private land, or both.

Stop throwing sunshine on my rainy parade. :D

I'd say we're competing against eleven. Either Raleigh or CLT is getting a team not both. I'd even say 10 because San Diego has proven not to be a good sport's market (plus for the reason prunetracy said). And hey, what happened to Miami??? Guess all that david beckham financing didn't work out...

I'd be very surprised if we managed to get a team. We are clearly behind the others. While I'd be happy with another major league team in town, atleast we're getting USL.

The cities I expect to get a franchise are Cincy and Sacremento. These 2 cities been campaigning for a team for awhile now

• Like 1