Nashtitans

Soccer in Nashville

Recommended Posts

I felt like creating this thread since lots of news about a possible MLS team in Nashville grows. Getting a team in Nashville would really put our city on the map (even more) and help the city's economy and development.

 

Today I found this article about soccer expansion in the States. And it was pretty optimistic about Nashville (Tennessee as a whole) getting pro soccer.

https://whatahowler.com/professional-soccer-expansion-in-north-america-45715f7806ec#.iih6nci4l

 

For the Big cities, Nashville is #1 for expansion. Austin (#2) was gonna be #1 as both have similar, attractive qualities, but Nashville is more of a corporate, mature city as it has more Fortune 1000s and it also has more venues. Peep Memphis at #12.

For the midsize markets Knoxville gets the 16th spot.

For small markets, Chattanooga tops the list at #1 unsurprisingly. They're extremely supportive of their NPSL team. I think that Chattanooga should get our USL team and we get MLS. They deserve it.

I really hope this city gets a team. I love soccer. and our chances grow as other cities keep encountering problems like Miami with funding, San Diego most likely losing their NFL team, and NC for many reasons (especially political)

 

What do y'all think?

Edited by Nashtitans
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Thanks for sharing the article....very interesting stuff.  I also hope Nashville gets pro soccer.  Just to clarify though, correct me if I'm wrong, but i think those lists were ranking markets for general pro soccer expansion as in MLS, USL, and NASL, not just MLS expansion specifically.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BnaBreaker said:

Thanks for sharing the article....very interesting stuff.  I also hope Nashville gets pro soccer.  Just to clarify though, correct me if I'm wrong, but i think those lists were ranking markets for general pro soccer expansion as in MLS, USL, and NASL, not just MLS expansion specifically.  

Oh yeah I understand, I doubt Chattanooga or Knoxville would be getting an MLS team lol, but it just shows you how much soccer interest is in the state. USL should really look at Chattanooga. It's a great city which I view as on the next boomtowns (like how Nashville, Austin, Charlotte, and Denver are right now) and they really support their NPSL team drawing 16,000+ for a playoff game (that's amazing considering the size of 'nooga and it's amateur soccer)

Edited by Nashtitans
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From all I've read, it appears we'll start with the USL and hopefully have an MSL expansion spot within 5-10 years.  That means that wherever we decide to build a USL stadium, it needs to be in the right location and able to be expanded to fit MSL.  Over by the Titans stadium somewhere would be perfect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, titanhog said:

From all I've read, it appears we'll start with the USL and hopefully have an MSL expansion spot within 5-10 years.  That means that wherever we decide to build a USL stadium, it needs to be in the right location and able to be expanded to fit MSL.  Over by the Titans stadium somewhere would be perfect.

I wish they would raze down all the industrial bs next to the nissan. It's an eyesore too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a Chattanoogan and a Chattahooligan a minor league soccer team of the USL would be cool, we average about 5000 for an average league match and it doubles or more for the playoffs, there just isn't much to do for a city of Chattanooga's size during the summer and especially winter and Finley stadium is a great venue with a perfect location on the southside. 

Edited by Titans10
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dick's Sporting Goods Park in Denver has a capacity of 18k for soccer and 27k for concerts.  Broke ground in Sept '05 and opened in April '07 at a cost of $131m ($150m in '15 $s).  This stadium and the Red Bull Arena in Jersey are my favorite designs.  Hopefully we mimic them.  I believe the stadium should be placed just north of the Titans stadium where the TA trucking and Stadium Inn locations sit.

CBFPucS.jpg

Edited by grilled_cheese
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't really dig the idea of an East Bank soccer stadium. It's strange to have two functionally identical stadiums so close to each other. Either spread the sports around the city or just play at the Car Hole.

I still think their best bet is to hook up with Vanderbilt for a new 35,000- to 40,000-capacity facility in Midtown.

An equally interesting question, especially given the trend towards hosting reserve teams, academies, etc.: where does the training facility go?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

Dick's Sporting Goods Park in Denver has a capacity of 18k for soccer and 27k for concerts.  Broke ground in Sept '05 and opened in April '07 at a cost of $131m ($150m in '15 $s).  This stadium and the Red Bull Arena in Jersey are my favorite designs.  Hopefully we mimic them.  I believe the stadium should be placed just north of the Titans stadium where the TA trucking and Stadium Inn locations sit.

 

I agree. Imagine how many developments could be near the banks if all the industrial stuff wasn't there. That's a perfect location.

Edited by Nashtitans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't feel that they necessarily have to be clustered together, especially considering how much dead space for parking that would possibly create.  But...it would be nice if the stadium was close to DT for convenience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

 I believe the stadium should be placed just north of the Titans stadium where the TA trucking and Stadium Inn locations sit.

I recall reading that those lots were bought (or either under contract) by an out-of-state developer earlier this year or last year. He seemed to be acquiring a few properties north of the stadium for an unknown project. Maybe somebody can provide more insight (and better memory).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

Here is the Philly sports arena cluster in South Philadelphia

 

philysports.JPG

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9043544,-75.1659639,1243m/data=!3m1!1e3

I spent most of a week at the Holiday Inn in the top of the picture and I may as well been in the middle of the Mojave Desert as far as retail and restaurant services are concerned. Nothing but parking lots surrounded by old residential. Trust me, after two days of Philly Cheesesteaks at the Hotel Restaurant, I was more than willing to walk a mile to an Italian restaurant for lunch. I was late returning to the work shop, however.

This area is strictly car-centric. People drive in for games, then drive out afterwards. There is probably no semblance of an urban live-work-play lifestyle on game days. The Broad Street Bullies (Hockey team unofficial nick-name) should move back to Broad Street (downtown) at the least.

Edited by PHofKS
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/17/2016 at 9:02 AM, PHofKS said:

I spent most of a week at the Holiday Inn in the top of the picture and I may as well been in the middle of the Mojave Desert as far as retail and restaurant services are concerned. Nothing but parking lots surrounded by old residential. Trust me, after two days of Philly Cheesesteaks at the Hotel Restaurant, I was more than willing to walk a mile to an Italian restaurant for lunch. I was late returning to the work shop, however.

This area is strictly car-centric. People drive in for games, then drive out afterwards. There is probably no semblance of an urban live-work-play lifestyle on game days. The Broad Street Bullies (Hockey team unofficial nick-name) should move back to Broad Street (downtown) at the least.

I grew up going to Philadelphia sporting events and the majority of the time I took the subway to get there. They have stops that drop you off directly in between the eagles and phillies stadiums. $4 round trip ticket would get me from my neighborhood in New Jersey to the stadiums. 

The stadiums are isolated to south Philly but there is a complex called xfinity live that has a half dozen bars and restaurants under the same roof. Also, to reiterate, you can simply get on the subway and get to any point in the city with ease. 

The huge parking lots are also very good for tailgating, which Philadelphia sports fans are known for doing a lot of. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, titanhog said:

^^Sounds like they are serious in one day bringing the MLS to Nashville.

is it bad that he is joining the USL team ownership and not the potential MLS team ownership?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

is it bad that he is joining the USL team ownership and not the potential MLS team ownership?

I'm pretty sure the two entities in Nashville have kinda joined forces, if my memory serves me properly.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Philly was only an example.  I'm not condoning moving the stadiums to the South of the city and building parking lots around them.  Just showing what it may look like if they were to put the MLS stadium next to the Titans stadium on the East Bank.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rich Reibeling, Metro Nashville's chief operating officer, says the city has a role to play in building a soccer-specific stadium for either (or both) the minor-league Nashville Soccer Club or a potential Major League Soccer franchise, with the city's work with the Nashville Sounds' First Tennessee Park serving as a potential model.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2016/11/17/metro-coo-says-city-would-support-soccer-stadium.html

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now