Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

16 minutes ago, TheRaglander said:

I like Nashville SC and move the existing one to Nashville SC 2 (like ATL and NY).  'NFC' is the poorly managed youth soccer club out of Bellevue.  

We could just flip it to SC Nashville, a bit like my favorite PL team - AFC Bournemouth.

25 minutes ago, TheRaglander said:

I like Nashville SC and move the existing one to Nashville SC 2 (like ATL and NY).  'NFC' is the poorly managed youth soccer club out of Bellevue.  

I'd take Nashville SC and SC2 instead of opting for the riskier traditional name too, but if they do go the more traditional route...

1. Nashville Muse 
  2. Nashville Cats
  3. Nashville Histrionics
  4. Nashville Hits
  5. Nashville Slingers
  6. Nashville Bell(e)s
  7. Nashville Tone
  8. Nashville Gold
  9. Nashville Rocks
  10. Nashville Gold Sox

1 hour ago, titanhog said:

Looks like Nashville SC isn't 100% certain to be our MLS name...which is ok with me.  I'd really like us to embrace the European style of "F.C." and have some cool name like Nashville United or at least, Nashville FC.  I know we as Americans like to be different than the rest of the world (I actually like that about America)...but I really think we should embrace the world's standards on this and join in.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/09/11/nashvilles-mls-ceo-lays-out-his-timetable-for.html

If Mr Ayre wants something "uniquely Nashville" then I suggest "Metropolitan Nashville SC". It pays homage to our history as one of the first communities in the nation to combine the City/County governments. It gives a distinctiveness and uniqueness to the brand that "FC Nashville" or "Nashville SC" can't deliver. 

Oh, and their nickname can be the "Mets"!

Oh, and it has nothing to do with music!

Oh!!

56 minutes ago, tragenvol said:

Let me reiterate...we're missing a huge opportunity without going to MCFC...Music City Football Club.

I think I read somewhere that legally we have to have "Nashville" in the team name. I agree that I want Music City, however. 

I like Nashville Boot Leggers. Nashville Tonkers. @ruraljuror I like Nashville Gold Sox! 

Edited by nashvylle

I really hope we just keep it simple and classy with a nod to soccer history with either Nashville SC or FC.  Honestly though, I will be content so long as we don't give ourselves some corny nickname that sounds more at home in minor league Canadian Arena Football ... not sure why I capitalized that, because I just made it up.  Lol

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

I really hope we just keep it simple and classy with a nod to soccer history with either Nashville SC or FC.  Honestly though, I will be content so long as we don't give ourselves some corny nickname that sounds more at home in minor league Canadian Arena Football ... not sure why I capitalized that, because I just made it up.  Lol

What?  Like, Rocket City Trash Pandas?  (New Madison, AL minor league baseball team name). :tw_joy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, titanhog said:

While talking about Nashville's chances of hosting World Cup matches...there is a mention about how the city (and Titans' franchise) is talking about just upgrading Nissan Stadium and not building a new stadium.

Amid this city’s soccer craze, we have more clarity on what American football will look like in the future. And the answer is, very similar, with upgrades planned for Nissan Stadium and no apparent desire for a new stadium. This will disappoint folks who envisioned a state-of-the-art dome that could attract a Super Bowl, a Final Four, a College Football Playoff game.

It’s good news for those who love the outdoor atmosphere and location of Nissan. It’s sensible news because, frankly, I don’t see how there’d be enough taxpayer support here for the kind of wallet hit a brand-new stadium would require. Nashville Mayor David Briley told The Tennessean's Joey Garrison that the Titans recently told him they “definitively don’t want a new stadium.”

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/2018/09/11/usa-soccer-mexico-nashville-world-cup-bid-mls/1258217002/

This is the correct answer.  There is absolutely no reason to build a soccer specific stadium except for MLS's arbitrary "requirement".  Sharing Nissan stadium keeps the fans downtown, parking isn't an issue and allows access to all interstates.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, grilled_cheese said:

This is the correct answer.  There is absolutely no reason to build a soccer specific stadium except for MLS's arbitrary "requirement".  Sharing Nissan stadium keeps the fans downtown, parking isn't an issue and allows access to all interstates.

Sharing the Car Hole would also allow the $250 million to be spent on upgrades that would keep the stadium fresh for the next 20-30 years in the same vein as the Hard Rock Stadium upgrades. It wouldn't be technically difficult to add a partial roof covering the seats, for example.

• Like 1

I can't find it but I swear I've read that "Nashville" has to be in the team name by agreement between NSH and the city. 

I could be wrong though. 

Addition:

Agreed 100%, a soccer specific stadium puts people so much closer to the sidelines/action and makes it so much better for the attendees.

Edited by PaulChinetti
  • Like 2