Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

21 minutes ago, Titans10 said:

Playing in a giant cavern of an NFL stadium kills the atmosphere and appears really bad when the stadium isn't full, Nashville will have the largest soccer specific stadium in the league and will be quite the atmosphere when complete, look at New England playing in Gillete, they struggle to bring in fans, stadium is always empty. It's unfortunate they couldn't get the stadium on PSC metals site but playing in a new stadium at the fairgrounds will bring way more success for the club than playing at Nissan.  

Atlanta proves it does not kill the atmosphere. 

Any stadium looks bad half full.

Why are you bringing up the fact that it will be the largest soccer specific stadium if you're also worried about attendance?

New England can't bring in fans because Gillette is 27 miles away from downtown Boston, the equivalent is putting a stadium in Gallatin.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PaulChinetti said:

I can't find it but I swear I've read that "Nashville" has to be in the team name by agreement between NSH and the city. 

I could be wrong though. 

Again , MCFC, ie. Music City Football Club would be the colloquial name, but we cannot have that without the "FC."..so, we should go back to Nashville FC.

Edited by tragenvol
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, grilled_cheese said:

Why are you bringing up the fact that it will be the largest soccer specific stadium if you're also worried about attendance?

New England can't bring in fans because Gillette is 27 miles away from downtown Boston, the equivalent is putting a stadium in Gallatin.

Mercedes Benz Stadium seating arrangement is much, much better than Nissan. The first deck is able to move closer to the field. 

The more important issue is that Arthur Blank of Atlanta United and the owner of the revolution also own the city’s nfl teams... therefore they control the revenue and the scheduling, which wouldn’t be the case with Nissan stadium. 

Nashville SC/FC are both fine names. Not overly exciting but professional and timeless. Music City FC would be my ideal name, similar to what we have now but with more of a local connection.

18 hours ago, bnacincy said:

If Mr Ayre wants something "uniquely Nashville" then I suggest "Metropolitan Nashville SC". It pays homage to our history as one of the first communities in the nation to combine the City/County governments. It gives a distinctiveness and uniqueness to the brand that "FC Nashville" or "Nashville SC" can't deliver.

This could actually be pretty brilliant if done correctly. As pointed out before, It would pay a nice homage to the Metros. Maybe it could be "Nashville Metropolis FC" or something to that effect to better reference our "Athens of the South" nickname. We used to have a semi-professional team called Nashville Atlas FC which could also be an interesting Greek homage IMO. 

That said, I do predict that it will definitely be something musically-based. My fear is that he goes with one of the possible leaked trademarked directions like "Nashville Groove/Vibe/Beat FC" which would be terrible.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

Mercedes Benz was built with soccer in mind, they also put up blankets to cover 30,000 seats. 

5 minutes ago, titanhog said:

I thought they were packing out the entire 70K+ stadium?  Do they really block out 30k seats?

I think they were originally but you are right now they are often packing out 70k+. Probably some weekday games on occasion they still block some of the upper deck.

4 minutes ago, grilled_cheese said:

Yeah but here's a full sell out one:

• Like 2

Looks like Charlotte, Raleigh and Tampa are all out of the MLS expansion competition.

https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/expansion/mls-commissioner-don-garber-southeast/

ORLANDO — MLS Commissioner Don Garber has watched soccer survive and thrive in the South. 

The league’s marquee event, the MLS All-Star Game, was hosted in Atlanta this year and drew a record crowd of more than 72,000. The All-Star Game will be at Orlando City Stadium in 2019. Nashville and Miami are set to join the league in the near future — with Nashville recently securing approval for a soccer-specific stadium. 

Garber said he’s confident soccer can survive below the Mason-Dixon Line, and, for now, he doesn’t see any more southeastern clubs joining the league. 

“There was a real strategy, strategically, as we were developing our league, to get south of Washington D.C. That was an important development for us. That then goes to Orlando and Atlanta and Nashville, and soon in Miami. We had a very, very focused effort to expand to the southeast,” Garber said to reporters after the announcement of the 2019 MLS All-Star Game in Orlando.

“It’s a hotbed of soccer in the grassroots level. There’s enormous energy and diversity that exists in this part of the country. I think we’re probably done expanding in the southeast for a little while, but we’re feeling pretty good about it.”

I thought Charlotte would be in contention with the new owner of the NFL Panthers hinting at applying for a franchise, but I feel like Phoenix is now the prime choice for expansion with Sacramento and Detroit vying for the other slot.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Thank God we got our bid... I think the next two are Detroit and Phoenix, strictly for TV deal purposes and the size of those markets.

If Sacramento is passed over again, their fans are going to be LIVID. This is already the 2nd or 3rd time (I believe) that Sacramento has been high on the list, but passed over for another city.

1 minute ago, nashvylle said:

SMI/BMS wants a 30-year lease to operate the racetrack. 

Is the track still going to be viable in 2048? Not to be cynical, but that's projecting a long way out for an area that's ready to burst. I'm also curious to see how the track figures into the future of the city.

2 minutes ago, Predsboy18 said:

Is the track still going to be viable in 2048? Not to be cynical, but that's projecting a long way out for an area that's ready to burst. I'm also curious to see how the track figures into the future of the city.

I have heard about $30MM of investment is needed for the racetrack, with some coming from Metro. 

Personally I think the days of driving 40 miles to see a car race are becoming obsolete, and it would be a better investment to have a racetrack in the middle of the city (and that would be cool if properly invested). 

• Like 1

On 9/12/2018 at 2:32 PM, titanhog said:

^^Yeah...I've seen them on tv once or twice with the complete place packed out.  Personally...I love their name (Atlanta United FC)...and I love their uniforms with the dark red and black stripes (just looks dangerous...and has a bit of that European League flair to it)...and kinda looks Harry Potter-ish, which has to appeal to Millennials. :D

Nashville's colors will be yellow and black right? Guess I can buy some Hufflepuff swag.

Can we name the team the Nashville Pedal Taverns?

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, bigeasy said:

Nashville's colors will be yellow and black right? Guess I can buy some Hufflepuff swag.

Can we name the team the Nashville Pedal Taverns?

Lol... or perhaps the Nashville Woooo Girls... they can create a public poll to determine the number of o's in Woo

• Haha 3