Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, titanhog said:

^^I can't help and look at that photo and wish there was a way to turn the stadium where you can see downtown through the end zone on tv.  I realize it's a sun issue...but man...it would be an awesome view!

Remove the west upper deck and build upper decks in both end zones to make up for the capacity. Just spitballing, but it would be pretty cool for most of the stadium to be able to look out at the skyline during the game. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Pdt2f said:

Remove the west upper deck and build upper decks in both end zones to make up for the capacity. Just spitballing, but it would be pretty cool for most of the stadium to be able to look out at the skyline during the game. 

Hell yeah like a wide horseshoe. Would make for some awesome pictures. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, nashvylle said:

Can someone please post some excerpts? WSMV stopped allowing access from devices in the EU. (More evidence they're a trash news organization...)

EDIT: Found it on the Tennessean https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/2018/09/04/save-our-fairgrounds-lawsuit-block-mls-stadium/1196684002/

Can the judge fine them for filing frivolous lawsuits? This same suit was thrown out of the same court by the same judge in December. 

Edited by Nathan_in_the_UK

• 3 weeks later...

"We are pleased that Chancellor Lyle dismissed the mandamus portion of the complaint. As to the remainder of the motion to dismiss, Chancellor Lyle’s ruling was not unexpected. When considering a motion to dismiss, the court must take the allegations in the complaint as being true. The allegations in the complaint are not true, and Metro is taking the appropriate measures to ensure that all uses required by the Charter for the Fairgrounds will continue. We look forward to making this argument to the court," said Metro Law Director Jon Cooper in a statement.

For all you lawyers out there, if the “mandamus portion” of the lawsuit was dismissed, does that mean the construction of the new facilities can continue (or start)? Asked another way, was the madamus portion of the lawsuit to stop all construction from starting?

2 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

Son of a, these people. Ahhh. 

I’ve said it a million times what is there end goal?? The Fairgrounds just slowly turns to dust and then sits there empty until the heat death of the universe?

I get the impression that these folks are the types that just want to stick it to their percieved opponents no matter what.

They supplement their incomes at those booths. I'm sure a lot of it is never even reported in their taxes too. They're pretty much a gray market and the Fairgrounds has been the low key spot where they've been able to operate for decades under radar.  The whole project (soccer, upgrades, disruptions) is an existential threat to them. And they're a type of people accustomed to fight for everything... anything they get.  They don't back down easily.  If you heard them at the Metro Council meeting... many (most?) of them spoke as though they had a proverbial chip on their shoulders. Their tones were defiant! Even belligerent with moral indignation. They're not inclined to see the Fairgrounds as anyone else's but theirs.  And historically, they've managed to keep the politicians' hands off it with (I'd guess) money passed under the tables. With such a history of perceived protection, they're bound to feel screwed by the very body that used to condone, even grace, their existence.  As the protracted fight shows, they still have some political power and they aim to play it all the way to the end. 

PS: The above would have been the REAL "get" for the local news tart (IIRC, Nancy Amons??) who showed such bias in her reporting. If she had had any sense, she would have peeled that onion down to expose the graft which I'm sure exists behind the scenes of the Fairgrounds. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 2

^^ Well graft is all over Metro, so not unique to 'these' people as they are perceived on the board.  They have every right to push their claim and have it adjudicated. I am a strong MLS supporter and stadium proponent, but they have been screwed over multiple times in the last 5-10 years and maybe that is why they have a 'chip' on their shoulder. 

By the by …. I love the 'own the libs' comment! Are we talking politics now?  It is just such haughty attitudes that handed the 'libs' their own assess in 2016.... lets hope Metro's dismissive disposition towards the 'fairground people' does not cost us an MLS franchise.

I went to almost every single meeting. And spoke with a lot of the people there. It was very much that crowd so yes it’s appropriate. 

“I hope you choke on a soccer ball you sons of beotches.” Older adult women 

They wanted “honor the referendum”, so MLS and the city and soccer supporters did just that and followed the letter of the law. They are pissed they lost which is just fine and totally understandable. 

At some point I just want the anti- crowd to realize we are not agaisnt them and to come and over start being part of the solution and to tell the planners what their needs and wants are. The planners want to help everyone, but just getting screamed at isn’t helpful at all. 

• Like 3

Not sure ( “I hope you choke on a soccer ball you sons of beotches.” Older adult women  ) = "Own the libs".  Are you assuming soccer fans =  libs? 
Being 'part of the solution' means what? They going to lose income. They are not guaranteed that at the end of this process they will have an affordable place to ply their trades/wares.

Look, I am not saying the sweet heart deal they have had, evidently for decades, should continue...changes is forced upon all of us. But, I do think it unreasonable that we castigate these voters because they are not happy about the changes that may/will disrupt their lifestyle/income. As I stated before, it is my belief Metro should have been out in front of this situation prior to the site selection.

Edited by Guest