Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

On 1/26/2019 at 3:09 PM, grilled_cheese said:

Glad so see the free market hard at work here owning the sock selling crowd.

lulz

I quite agree! The city has found a better use for that space and is making the needed changes. It's kindly allowing the "flea market" crowd to stay, and even providing them upgraded facilities. So they really need to quit their bellyachin.' 

I wouldn't mind if the free market found something better for the area where the racetrack is.

As for the State Fair, that should be in Wilson County. 

Edited by NashvilleObserver
  • Like 3

Should I tell this dude to go in person to turn in his handout request?  Why is he doing it online?  Back in his day you just walked in and asked for a handout!

lol boomer tears

dude doesnt even live here!  maybe he will forfeit some of those fed and state handouts to cookeville to throw into the pile for the fair fair lol

https://www.tennessean.com/story/opinion/2019/02/06/nashville-mls-team-and-state-fair-need-different-locales-opinion/2744735002/

• Like 3

It's went through every process that was asked of it and it passed through each time, sorry it's not going anywhere else.

WHY should Nashville have to provide and equip another site for a state fair, it's a STATE fair, it doesn't have to be in Nashville. 

Help pay for a home outside of Davidson County?? GIGANTIC eye roll.

1. First and simplest, the soccer stadium could be built somewhere else.
  2. Second, Nashville could provide and equip another site for the state fair.
  3. Third, help the TSFA find and pay for a home outside Davidson County.

**The comments on that article should be SOLID GOLD.

Edited by PaulChinetti
addition
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Does the state fair have to be the first week of September? 

If not, couldn't a simple solution be to have it in the east bank by the Titans parking lot? Yes, I know, there are preseason games, but preseason games in the NFL are boring and have low attendance... a state fair might help with that.

I'm pretty sure the State Fair guy is quoted as saying they would need at least 300 acres to put on a great state fair. I think the problem anywhere in Davidson county is that amount of acreage with all the amenities. 

Even the Titans lot being generous with everything is still a little over 100 acres and that's including all the parking lots and the stadium. So it's smaller than the Fairgrounds and has no buildings at all and you would have to use all the parking lots for tents, etc. 

If the Tennessee State Fair is such an amazing addition for a host city, then interested cities or counties around the state should bid on it and actively compete for the opportunity.

And since the author of the opinion item is a state representative from Cookeville, he should urge his own community to submit the first bid.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/26/2019 at 3:09 PM, grilled_cheese said:

Glad so see the free market hard at work here owning the sock selling crowd.

lulz

What do you mean free market?

The city gave a multi-million dollar handout to a billionaire just so a bunch of craft beer drinkers can go bang on a drum while watching foreigners kick a ball.

Edited by Ingram
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, fishsticks176 said:

State Fair: RIGHT city, WRONG location!

It definitely doesn't have to be this close to downtown.  Somewhere on the periphery would be fine, as long as there are amenities close by...easy in and out...etc.  Plus...if we're going to have a decent state fair in TN, Nashville / Murfreesboro make the most sense.  I still think the Superspeedway land would be perfect...and there are lots of hotels nearby in Lebanon, Mboro, Smyrna, Mt Juliet, Nashville.

6 minutes ago, Ingram said:

The city gave a multi-million dollar handout to a billionaire just so a bunch of craft beer drinkers can go bang on a drum while watching foreigners kick a ball.

I prefer lagers over craft beer and cowbells to drums. The players can head the ball, too, not just kick. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

I prefer lagers over craft beer and cowbells to drums. The players can head the ball, too, not just kick. 

And I'm sure the billionaire is enjoying his 7 or 8  figure government handout. He preferred that over spending his own money.

Edited by Ingram

1 hour ago, titanhog said:

It definitely doesn't have to be this close to downtown.  Somewhere on the periphery would be fine, as long as there are amenities close by...easy in and out...etc.  Plus...if we're going to have a decent state fair in TN, Nashville / Murfreesboro make the most sense.  I still think the Superspeedway land would be perfect...and there are lots of hotels nearby in Lebanon, Mboro, Smyrna, Mt Juliet, Nashville.

I was just joking. That’s the slogan they were using to rally against the soccer stadium at the fairgrounds and put it in metrocenter 

Edited by fishsticks176

1 hour ago, titanhog said:

I still think the Superspeedway land would be perfect...and there are lots of hotels nearby in Lebanon, Mboro, Smyrna, Mt Juliet, Nashville.

Sounds perfect.  That location is closer to the geographic center of Tennessee than the Fairgrounds, if that matters.

3 hours ago, nashvylle said:

I want the state fair in Nashville as Nashville does need affordable entertainment and I like maintain history. Could MetroCenter be an option?

This is something we also dealt with in the Urban Design Forum-not so much a new location for the Fair but creating new parkland around the Cumberland River.

I had an idea to basically to deindustrialize the Cumberland River all the way from Opryland to the MLK bridge/TSU area and just beyond where  TSU is proposing to build a conference center. Nashville's Riverpark, as I call it would have enough area on the West Bank between the Omohundro (love that word! Should be the name of a neighborhood!) pumping station and the Silliman Evans bridge and contain more than enough parkland to use some of it as a Fairgrounds. Having the State Fair on the river would give it greater access to the tourist trade, easy access from the interstate and even the General Jackson could make a stop! An earlier post quoted a Fair Official saying the Fair needed at least 300 acres to put on a serious fair-there's more than enough right on the river. When the Fair is not in town the land could double as parkland for recreational use and if they held the Flea Market there they would  do better business I think as well for the reasons stated above.

Again this was one of those sessions where we were told to "reimagine Nashville as if money were no object-so I'm thinking this could be a long range project. Maybe some corporate involvement as well (Amazon?).

Edited by bnacincy
edit
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Ingram said:

I get the feeling that "craft beer drinker" and "foreigner" are insults, in your mind.  

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Ingram said:

That's how football is in Europe, in any given roster, for any big team, most of the top players are foreigners. Is there something bad about that?

Edited by OnePointEast
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ingram said:

1 hour ago, OnePointEast said:

That's how football is in Europe, in any given roster, for any big team, most of the top players are foreigners. Is there something bad about that?

Don't use the word "foreigners" with a negative connotation in a civilised discussion. 

If you can't be "anti-soccer-stadium" without mentioning the nationality of the players, then you've already lost the argument (and proved your minuscule intelligence.)

Alright everyone, how bout this stadium! Let's get back on topic. Before someone embarrasses themselves even more.

Edited by NashvilleObserver
  • Like 3