Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

While watching some MLS matches I've noticed that the size of the field varies somewhat from field to field.  Apparently MLS franchises have flexibility in this area.  Has it been decided what the dimensions of the playing field will be for the new stadium? 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

The actual field varies? I can't imagine that's right, that would like the Titans field being different than the Colts field.

It’s true: “And at 110 yards by an MLS-minimum 70 yards, or a Hobbit-sized 7,700 square yards, the small field makes NYCFC easier to press and close down. The next-smallest fields are 8,250 square yards and eight are at least 9,000 square yards.”

https://nypost.com/2016/05/29/nycfc-built-a-team-doomed-by-yankee-stadiums-field-quirk/

29 minutes ago, shanky said:

While watching some MLS matches I've noticed that the size of the field varies somewhat from field to field.  Apparently MLS franchises have flexibility in this area.  Has it been decided what the dimensions of the playing field will be for the new stadium? 

I feel like I read somewhere it would be FIFA standard but I can't find where so may be making it up.

7 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

The actual field varies? I can't imagine that's right, that would like the Titans field being different than the Colts field.

Yes, the field has to be between 50 and 100 yards wide and 100 to 130 yards long, but it can't be square (100 yards by 100 yards). The FIFA standard pitch is 74 yards by 114 yards. Most new stadiums just use the FIFA standard, but many older stadiums (especially in the US, where they were built for real football) or baseball stadiums have narrower fields.

I like the variability, it allows for different styles of play as @DMilner notes in the linked article. I also think it should be allowed for real football too, where passing offenses could have wider fields and #exoticsmashmouth teams could have narrow fields. And the end zones, it would be fun to watch if some teams elected to build Canadian-style 25-yard-deep end zones while others cut it down to 5 yards. Talk about home field advantage.

The field being different sizes is just weird to me. It should be standard across everywhere you play. We have stronger players let's make the baller heavier and also the goal smaller because our goalie is shorter. Odd.

9 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Since Vandy will play a select few games at the fairgrounds, I expect our field to meet NCAA and SEC field dimension standards. 

I can't imagine that is going to happen unless their new AD and Boosters have had a big change of heart, they have seemed adamantly against that. Vandy has to decide if they are going to be serious about football or not. I think they are happy to get the SEC money each year and if they win 6 games and make a bowl game, they are ecstatic. Their facilities need a lot of work too not just their stadium. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PaulChinetti said:

I can't imagine that is going to happen unless their new AD and Boosters have had a big change of heart, they have seemed adamantly against that. Vandy has to decide if they are going to be serious about football or not. I think they are happy to get the SEC money each year and if they win 6 games and make a bowl game, they are ecstatic. Their facilities need a lot of work too not just their stadium. 

I agree, but it was stated somewhere about a year ago after Vandy decided to remain on campus that they might play one or two games a year at The Fairgrounds. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

In Europe it's very common practice to have different sizes in pitch size. I remember Tottenham Hotspurs had difficulty playing in narrower pitches, while they seemed to toy other great teams in their pitch, at Webley. Barcelona also plays a wide pitch for the possession based game they play. While a team like Borrusia Dortmund or even Burnley play on the counter and thus play with the narrower pitches.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

The stadium design team has finalized the plans and are now figuring the costs.”

I wonder when we will start to see renders. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

^ ^ ^ According to the ruling filed late Thursday, Judge J. Steven Stafford has sent the case back to the lower court, saying that the judge in the lower court didn’t address one of the key issues: whether the city is ignoring the Metro charter, which Save our Fairgrounds says protects what’s at the fairgrounds now – the state fair, the flea market, and the racetrack.

More details here :

https://www.wsmv.com/news/save-our-fairgrounds-wins-appeal-mls-stadium-construction-could-be/article_3a0fe100-aa30-11e9-8473-870a9bb2f64e.html

46 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

Good lord. 

I mean what would be the plan now if they won? I know they better not use those new buildings, it's against the charter. 

This is beyond belief, I still have no idea what their end goal is????

no soccer no mixed use development at the Fairgrounds.

The stadium construction cannot start until after demolition of the existing buildings. That won't happen until after the state fair (mid September). Demolition is expected to take 3 months, so January groundbreaking of stadium was expected. I guess with appeals this all could take place still within that time frame. 

Edited by nashvylle
  • Like 1

Just now, nashvylle said:

There will be lawsuits that John Cooper won't want to deal with, though. 

He won't procedurally stand in the way (atleast on the front lines) but when the Mayor is vocally opposed it opens doors. He is aggressively opposed and the Fairgrounds folks are donating big to him.