Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

I get it @ruraljuror I do. 

I just thought/wished/hoped that after it was all settled and the buildings started getting built that they would see it's really happening and get on board. 

Hopefully all these anti-leaders worked with the Fairgrounds on the design of the buildings so that what is getting built is what is needed. I have a sinking feeling that they didn't though, based on their general attitude. 

52 minutes ago, bigeasy said:

I saw someone wearing  Nashville SC gear in Yosemite last week. It was a nice surprise to see on a trail that far west.

I was in Guadalajara and saw some young guy with Nashville SC gear on too. The girlfriend? had a Chivas jersey on.

Edit: The girl was actually wearing a Necaxa jersey.

Edited by OnePointEast
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you interested in soccer/football, I am running a Premier League Fantasy League for the fourth year and would welcome any one who wants to participate.  Please send me a PM for details.

The first match is next Friday.  Hope you can join us!

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, downtownresident said:

Just Steve Glover being Steve Glover. 

Exactly, I don't think anything will come of this. The new buildings are set to open in a few weeks and the fairgrounds folks are already planning events there. I think this particular train has left the station and he's just trying get his name out there because he's made the run-off and needs the votes to make it back on to the council.

The eight candidates to qualify for the September election (runoff) are Sheri Weiner, Zulfat Suara, Sharon Hurt, Burkley Allen, Fabian Bedne, Steve Glover, Howard Jones and Gary Moore. Mendes is already in, that leaves 4 places. Glover has a hard row to hoe to get in. 

If I recall correctly, all of these people previously on the council, were in favor, though my memory isn't as clear on the subject as it used to be.

Bob Mendes 37180 10.92
Zulfat Suara 31666 9.3
Sharon W. Hurt 31461 9.24
Sheri Weiner 31271 9.19
Burkley Allen 30458 8.95
Fabian Bedne 24792 7.28
Howard Jones 24642 7.24
Steve Glover 23693 6.96
Gary W. Moore 20651 6.07
Gicola Lane 20073 5.9
Adam Dread 19528 5.74
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Since the news media always seems to only cover the legislation before it is acted on,  like it is certain to pass,    Glover's ordinance was  indefinitely deferred by roll call vote, effectively killing it for at least this session.  See at  1:38:00 for the vote:

The non-binding Resolution by Glover asking to stop any work while the Save Our Fairgrounds lawsuit is pending was also deferred for one meeting.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

Woof, I'm glad this is down to it's last straw. Just let it go, it's been passed how many times now. Move on, work with the Fairgrounds and MLS instead of trying to throw a monkey wrench into the works every chance you get. 

Is this truly the last straw?  I feel like it’s been on the last straw for a while.  Between the council and the courts...

@TheRaglander I'm leaning toward yes only because. Glover is not long for the Council and all of his last attempts to stall the project have been slapped down quickly. The Save Our Fairgrounds folks are running out of legal challenges, all the ones they have mounted so far have been slapped down or outright dismissed. 

Briley is obviously on board with it so if he wins nothing would change. Copper wasn't overly a fan of the 10 acres but he is a developer at heart and he realizes that trying to change the deal now would be a bad look for everyone. Not to mention the mayor doesn't have absolute power to just change deals at will. The council would have to get involved and all the current members and most that are getting re-elected consider it a done deal. 

The Fairgrounds staff is/was set to move their offices into the new buildings this past Wednesday. The demolition of the old buildings is set for directly after this year's fair. I'm sure there is some way to stop it, but it would have to be come kind of Hail Mary. 

1 hour ago, PaulChinetti said:

@TheRaglander I'm leaning toward yes only because. Glover is not long for the Council and all of his last attempts to stall the project have been slapped down quickly. The Save Our Fairgrounds folks are running out of legal challenges, all the ones they have mounted so far have been slapped down or outright dismissed. 

Briley is obviously on board with it so if he wins nothing would change. Copper wasn't overly a fan of the 10 acres but he is a developer at heart and he realizes that trying to change the deal now would be a bad look for everyone. Not to mention the mayor doesn't have absolute power to just change deals at will. The council would have to get involved and all the current members and most that are getting re-elected consider it a done deal. 

The Fairgrounds staff is/was set to move their offices into the new buildings this past Wednesday. The demolition of the old buildings is set for directly after this year's fair. I'm sure there is some way to stop it, but it would have to be come kind of Hail Mary. 

I thought a court put a hold on the demolition until answers could be provided about parking concerns, or whatever.  Happened within the last few weeks?

3 minutes ago, TheRaglander said:

I thought a court put a hold on the demolition until answers could be provided about parking concerns, or whatever.  Happened within the last few weeks?

That was glover with a nonbinding resolution. It was deferred until next council hearing. 

Edited by nashvylle

It's my understanding that, that was Glover's last tactic. Which was deferred indefinitely last council meeting. If you watch the above video around 1:34:44, the cities lawyer slaps It down noting the parking under the building they are in, the parking at Bridgestone, and at First Tennessee park that the city owns. This Bill...

https://www.nashville.gov/Metro-Clerk/Legislative/Ordinances/Details/f96cfe91-cbc9-4cca-ad28-0f21d5c9ae21/2015-2019/BL2019-1634.aspx

This bill about the demolition of buildings was deferred, but all bills are deferred the first time. 

https://www.nashville.gov/Metro-Clerk/Legislative/Resolutions/Details/b13799d8-e61b-4912-a8c4-5f566f670a04/2015-2019/RS2019-1872.aspx

• Thanks 1