Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

17 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

I hate to be a naysayer, but the design of the stadium sort of sucks. They should be getting a lot better design for the money especially when you look at the other stadium designs in the other cities. There is not much that jumps out at you that says WOW!

I kinda agree with you.  I’m thinking it’s maybe the square-ness of it...and the flat roof.  Makes it almost look like some old grandstands built a hundred years ago at the fairgrounds and an awning was added later.  But...maybe that’s the look they were going for?  Make it look like it’s been there a long time?

Most of the other league stadiums feature very futuristic cladding around the outside that's pretty cool, but I don't feel bad too bad about ours. It's got a more industrial kind of look going on that fits the area. If they cheap out on the surrounding complexes I'll be a little mad, but the stadium itself looks just fine.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, PaulChinetti said:

Yeah I like it, more of a field house look that fits into the neighborhood instead of some crazy futuristic design that would stand out like a sore thumb. This will just nestle into the surroundings. I have to hope the field will be below grade like the Titans stadium. 

The roof kinda mimics the roof at the racetrack...but I wonder if upgrades at the racetrack (if those ever happen) will remove that roof?

1 minute ago, titanhog said:

The roof kinda mimics the roof at the racetrack...but I wonder if upgrades at the racetrack (if those ever happen) will remove that roof?

Definitely matches that white roof look of the track and of the expo buildings. I wonder if the other new buildings will mimic that warehouse look. It would make the entire Fairgrounds quite cohesive.

• Like 3

Further proof that the majority of these charter amendment ballot initiatives are brought with bad faith motives.  The “pledging to the charter” one was clearly brought as an engine for dumb lawsuits by dumb combinations of cynical astrofturfers,  dishonest politicians and scared reactionaries, also known here as  Save Our Fairgrounds.....

• Like 2

On 8/23/2019 at 11:51 AM, smeagolsfree said:

I hate to be a naysayer, but the design of the stadium sort of sucks. They should be getting a lot better design for the money especially when you look at the other stadium designs in the other cities. There is not much that jumps out at you that says WOW!

Have we figured out why they are building the biggest MLS stadium and spending all of this money on what looks like a cheap design?  Vandy isn't going to be playing any games in this stadium.  Are they hoping it will become a concert venue and they see that is an income stream?

I think they think the excitement is there to keep it full. A few pages back I pulled some stats for MLS attendance from last year. If they do marketing well and the tickets aren't crazy expensive I think it's going to give people another form of entertainment and another team to root for. 

I'm sure they will definitely be doing concerts there. It's bigger than Bridgestone but smaller than Nissan.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, hirtme said:

Oh snap, the rumor is true!!! The Athletic is confirming the Denmark report that NSC is paying about $3 million to buy Hany Mukhtar from Danish Club Brondby. He will be a DP. German 24 year old attacking mid. Love this signing. Ingram finally spending some cash on players. Big question for me is whether Accam is a DP or TAM player. That will go a long way towards telling how competitive NSC will be Year 1.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/nashville-sc/story/3929266/sources-nashville-signs-mukhtar-to-dp-deal

• Thanks 1

Neither Cooper nor Briley will mess with Soccer at Fairgrounds. 

https://fox17.com/news/local/cooper-mls-stadium-project-has-to-stay-at-fairgrounds-despite-recent-proposal-for-vote?fbclid=IwAR1kZ03q7K_GgEp2KtcMeLbHcqPcwbRzpUnz95y5G89CzJO4v5hgVEIGgbc

I do think Cooper will alter the 10 acres to get NASCAR. I want NASCAR's return, and I don't even watch racing, I just know it will enhance The Fairgrounds. 

• Like 3

"Cooper said. “Frankly the most recent news about the cost overruns at the stadium are a huge concern. And that’s one of the reasons why the next mayor has to get on it.”"

Are they? Because they literally have no bearing for the city, at all.

I'm not sure at this point how could either of them change anything? It's been voted on by the council and litigated in the courts. They aren't dictators. 

Also he's is still a developer at heart he knows if you start going in and changing plans that have had a ton of work go into them, it will make developers and others wanting to build things in the city real squeamish. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, japan said:

Have we figured out why they are building the biggest MLS stadium and spending all of this money on what looks like a cheap design?

The design is consistent with other new MLS stadia and contains similar features (such as the steep rake in the seating). But it's obviously been value-engineered from the initial proposals.

Others are building seemingly redundant venues as well; Orlando City built a new stadium even though Camping World Stadium is less than a mile away, recently renovated, and has no permanent tenant.  LAFC could have found a home in one of the approximately 692,180 football stadiums in Los Angeles. It's really more about MLS trying to get the same stadium deals as the other major sports leagues.

2 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

I'm sure they will definitely be doing concerts there. It's bigger than Bridgestone but smaller than Nissan.

The problem with that (perhaps a minor one) is that there is no permanent stage, as there is at other soccer-specific stadia (e.g., Mapfre Stadium, Children's Mercy Park, SeatGeek Stadium, Toyota Stadium, BBVA Stadium, etc.). As I noted the design is consistent with other new stadia so perhaps the feature is just on its way out.

Of course I can't vote for Nashville mayor but I'd be hard pressed to vote for either. Briley is a weak leader and terrible campaigner, all contributing to perception he's an 'accidental' mayor. Cooper is just a shameless demagogue, a faux populist who will say/do anything to become mayor. On a personal level I cannot stand his brother. I have been associated with Jim Cooper for a couple decades, and I see absolutely nothing likable about him. He's brooding and arrogant, and I don't think he's very bright. So if pressed really hard, I'd have to go with Briley.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, PruneTracy said:

The design is consistent with other new MLS stadia and contains similar features (such as the steep rake in the seating). But it's obviously been value-engineered from the initial proposals.

Others are building seemingly redundant venues as well; Orlando City built a new stadium even though Camping World Stadium is less than a mile away, recently renovated, and has no permanent tenant.  LAFC could have found a home in one of the approximately 692,180 football stadiums in Los Angeles. It's really more about MLS trying to get the same stadium deals as the other major sports leagues

I for one really like the design of the stadium. It speaks to the industrial nature of the fairgrounds as a agricultural/dity/rough & ready nature that the fairgrounds really represents. As for the stadiums, why shouldn't MLS be able to have their own stadium? Every other major sport gets their own including college (hell this board almost demands VU spend a butt ton on a new football one). Playing in a massive NFL style stadium is not good for the sport because they will not be able to fill those venues and it will look poorly on the sport. The New England Revolution are the perfect example as they play in Gillette Stadium (granted Robert Kraft owns both teams), but they only really use the lower bowl and even that is hard to fill at times. For MLS to really gain a foothold as a major sport, they should have their own venues (and honestly, the team should pay for them themselves). 

• Like 3