Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

On 9/27/2019 at 5:28 PM, SumnerCountian said:

So, when can they start the demo on the old fair buildings where the stadium is to be built? I can envision some of the SOF jackwagons chaining themselves to the pillars in protest. 

First, extra points for using "jackwagons".

Second, I hope they don't make the chains too tight, they might break the pillars, and pull the buildings down themselves. Wait a minute...

• Haha 1

I expect Cooper to make at least some changes to the soccer plans at the fairgrounds. 

When asked if he would scrap the deal, he said "I don't have an answer for that". That doesn't sound good to me, but Cooper has to realize if he scraps the approved Fairgrounds deal without another deal in place, a lawsuit against metro with 3 billionaires is not good either.

https://www.nashvillescene.com/news/pith-in-the-wind/article/21089716/day-one-cooper-makes-appointments-holds-first-meetings

A NashvilleSC spokesperson has responded by saying "stadium work has been underway for more than a year at 31-6 metro vote".

Ugh, just don't.

I'm admittedly biased as a member of this site, but the complaint about "giving away land to a developer" is one that has confuses me here. You'd think they were paving over somebody's back yard with the way people whine about it online, but it's unused (and dilapidated) land that would make the gameday experiences more enjoyable. It's crazy to me that somebody would turn that down for political brownie points, but that's Cooper I guess. I've come to terms with the Fairgrounds plan over time, but without the development to activate the space, I truthfully won't feel great about it. Destination stadiums are lame and there is a reason that we've moved away from them. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, henburg said:

Ugh, just don't.

I'm admittedly biased as a member of this site, but the complaint about "giving away land to a developer" is one that has confuses me here. You'd think they were paving over somebody's back yard with the way people whine about it online, but it's unused (and dilapidated) land that would make the gameday experiences more enjoyable. It's crazy to me that somebody would turn that down for political brownie points, but that's Cooper I guess. I've come to terms with the Fairgrounds plan over time, but without the development to activate the space, I truthfully won't feel great about it. Destination stadiums are lame and there is a reason that we've moved away from them. 

I don’t think the team will build the stadium if cooper takes away or adjusts the 10 acres too much. They would say metro is in default of the approved deal. 

I have not been told that by anyone with insight to the team, just conjecture. 

• Like 1

Just now, Melrose said:

Right,  there are multiple contracts that have been approved/signed by multiple Metro entities.

Also,  I believe that with the approved re-zoning that went  along with the plan,  the MLS Team and Market Street have certain vested  rights  at this point.  

Part of SOF argument is no metro contract has been signed, just metro approvals, FYI. 

4 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Binding contract between metro and Nashville SC to build at the fairgrounds, I believe. 

Are you saying the planning commission's votes and all the council's votes aren't binding? Like MLS2Nashville could pull out still? 

The bond would just go away, hasn't it already been issued?

• Like 1

I suspect that when Cooper refused to provide a definitive answer to the soccer stadium question, it was because he knew the answer was 'no'  he couldn't/wouldn't do anything to stop it or change it, but that if he said that it would damage his supposed 'anti-development/pro-neighborhood' credentials with his voters.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...