Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

On 11/19/2019 at 10:50 AM, Titans10 said:

I’ll be coming from Chattanooga, I hope they can sell out Nissan, even if it means there are 30,000 Atlanta United fans, it will be quite the atmosphere and a great way to kick off for NSC. 

Hopefully Nashville stays competitive in this one. 

Capacity is 28,000 I'm fairly certain. They have tarp to block off the corners. In theory they could open those up easily if ticket sales get there. Atlanta will bring a ton, but on Feb 29 I think 10,000 is a good guess? Who knows. It should sellout though.

@nashvylle - Impossible to say how NSC did last night, but given the highest salary for any of the six new players was like $165K they didn't invest much salary cap wise. Besides USL guys on Nov. 30, there should be another few signings at least one but probably 2 are going to bigger names than this group. That said, Daniel Lovitz started for USMNT last night so gotta like him. Still need a right back, center back or number 9.  4-5 more players and the roster is set until the summer where they will surely make a move or two. 

• Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

5 hours ago, KJHburg said:

and make way Nashville as Charlotte will be joining the league as the 30th team according to all reports from MLS.   Look for a big announcement Dec. 17 and let the games begin.  Charlotte Atlanta and Nashville competing! 

https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/expansion/charlotte/reports-charlotte-30th-team-major-league-soccer-tepper-glick-2019/

they will play at our NFL stadium Bank of America Stadium in the Atlanta model of sharing a NFL stadium.  

In all honesty...I wish the Titans and NSC had gotten together and decided to re-do Nissan Stadium (spend a few hundred million) and make it work for both  football and soccer.  Figure out a way to reconfigure for soccer games where the stadium looks totally different inside as opposed to football games.  I say this ONLY because of location.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

How many teams are the planning on expanding to?  Thirty is plenty.  I just worry that they're expanding too rapidly, as that has been the downfall of many a 'pro' sports league in the past. 

I think 30 teams is where they want to be from all reports. .  Charlotte fills a key hole in the southeast and will make a great regional rivalry for Atlanta and the upcoming Nashville team.  Why they paused at 29 teams is a mystery to me anyway.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, titanhog said:

In all honesty...I wish the Titans and NSC had gotten together and decided to re-do Nissan Stadium (spend a few hundred million) and make it work for both  football and soccer.  Figure out a way to reconfigure for soccer games where the stadium looks totally different inside as opposed to football games.  I say this ONLY because of location.

Let’s pray that happens. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, titanhog said:

That may not be a bad idea because I have no faith in the soccer stadium actually happening right now with an administration pretty actively against it. On the flipside Titans are going to ask the city for money for a massive Nissan upgrade sooner than later and counting Nashville SC as a tenant might help the case.

Edited by DDIG
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The stated MLS policy for combining soccer and football into one stadium is to have the same owner for both teams. It is the case with Atlanta and with the proposed Charlotte team. Seattle has overlapping ownership for both teams. However, one loose exception is the Chicago fire will be moving to Soldier Field under a possible eight year lease.  New England is looking to relocate to the Patriots stadium as both teams are owned by Robert Kraft.

For the Titans to play permanently in Nissan Stadium, there would have to be some serious ownership changes on both sides. I would think the Nashville SC ownership is happy with how they are invested and would not allow a new majority owner to come in. The MLS does not want to be the 'second' team in any permanent stadium deal as they have indicated time and time again.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, PHofKS said:

The stated MLS policy for combining soccer and football into one stadium is to have the same owner for both teams. It is the case with Atlanta and with the proposed Charlotte team. Seattle has overlapping ownership for both teams. However, one loose exception is the Chicago fire will be moving to Soldier Field under a possible eight year lease.  New England is looking to relocate to the Patriots stadium as both teams are owned by Robert Kraft.

For the Titans to play permanently in Nissan Stadium, there would have to be some serious ownership changes on both sides. I would think the Nashville SC ownership is happy with how they are invested and would not allow a new majority owner to come in. The MLS does not want to be the 'second' team in any permanent stadium deal as they have indicated time and time again.

I think a deal could be worked out with the city and the Titans so that significant renovations to Nissan Stadium by Nashville Soccer Club would result in a shared stadium (leading to what's important to MLS- revenue and scheduling control). The Titans use the stadium 10 times a year, and Nashville SC could be a way to upgrade the stadium without going deep into their own pockets. 

Edited by nashvylle

7 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

I mean unless the city outright cancels the deal it's going to happen at the Fairgrounds and I have to assume (...) that, that is how Ingram and company are moving forward. The new buildings have already been built. Everything is in place except for the one hiccup in the financing. Which the council could fix. 

I've not seen any kind of deadline our anything as they seem fine playing in Nissan as long as they know a stadium is coming and since the deal is signed of by the city at the time, then even if it's a year later you have to go under the assumption that it's going to happen. 

Unless Ingram went rouge, bought the PSC metal site and then kept everything to himself which at this point if I was Ingram and had the money I would do just as a middle finger to Cooper and his waffling. But who knows at this point, Cooper is too busy raiding the affordable housing fund instead of raising taxes so ya know NEIGHBORHOODS (grunting, growling noise)!!!

MLS and Ingram followed the rules and did everything they were asked of and more, so what precedent is this setting for any other developer that wants to do any kind of big project in the city?

Just the biggest eye roll you've ever seen in your entire life to the whole thing at this point.

Not disagreeing with anything above, but being a Nashville fan first, I think we could check off two huge stadium issues with one deal at Nissan, AND Nashville could get Super Bowls , NCAA Final Four, World Cup, etc. Praying that happens. The location is the best in the country. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PHofKS said:

New England is looking to relocate to the Patriots stadium as both teams are owned by Robert Kraft.

The Revolution are looking to relocate out of the Gillette Stadium. Robert Kraft has been looking for a more inner city location around Boston so that more fans could access soccer via mass transit. The hold up regarding Revolution's new stadium is finding land and then tax benefits Kraft is asking for (FYI he self-financed Gillette Stadium himself so no MA tax dollars went to that stadium other than road upgrades)

5 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

Unless Ingram went rouge, bought the PSC metal site

The problem with all the conversation around the PSC metal site is the amount of abatement that would have to occur is very cost prohibitive. It is possible for nature take some form of course, but that would require the site be cleared and sit as open space for multiple years (which I don't see happening).

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

The Revolution are looking to relocate out of the Gillette Stadium. Robert Kraft has been looking for a more inner city location around Boston so that more fans could access soccer via mass transit. The hold up regarding Revolution's new stadium is finding land and then tax benefits Kraft is asking for (FYI he self-financed Gillette Stadium himself so no MA tax dollars went to that stadium other than road upgrades)

Thanks for the clarification.

7 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

I mean unless the city outright cancels the deal it's going to happen at the Fairgrounds and I have to assume (...) that, that is how Ingram and company are moving forward. The new buildings have already been built. Everything is in place except for the one hiccup in the financing. Which the council could fix. 

I've not seen any kind of deadline our anything as they seem fine playing in Nissan as long as they know a stadium is coming and since the deal is signed of by the city at the time, then even if it's a year later you have to go under the assumption that it's going to happen. 

Unless Ingram went rouge, bought the PSC metal site and then kept everything to himself which at this point if I was Ingram and had the money I would do just as a middle finger to Cooper and his waffling. But who knows at this point, Cooper is too busy raiding the affordable housing fund instead of raising taxes so ya know NEIGHBORHOODS (grunting, growling noise)!!!

MLS and Ingram followed the rules and did everything they were asked of and more, so what precedent is this setting for any other developer that wants to do any kind of big project in the city?

Just the biggest eye roll you've ever seen in your entire life to the whole thing at this point.

Well said.  I couldn't agree more.  It's all just so incredibly absurd.

Season ticket sales for Nashville SC’s 2020 debut in Major League Soccer are lagging behind the league’s other recent expansion teams.

The Athletic, citing multiple anonymous sources, reports that Nashville SC has “only sold around 5,000 season tickets.”

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/12/09/report-nashville-scs-mls-season-ticket-sales.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

55 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Season ticket sales for Nashville SC’s 2020 debut in Major League Soccer are lagging behind the league’s other recent expansion teams.

The Athletic, citing multiple anonymous sources, reports that Nashville SC has “only sold around 5,000 season tickets.”

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/12/09/report-nashville-scs-mls-season-ticket-sales.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

To me, the reason is there is not much talk of the soccer team around Nashville except for the fight at the fairgrounds.  I bet most people don't even realize that this coming season is the first MLS season and not just another USL season.  This soccer club DEFINITELY needs to learn to promote like the Preds.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As a parent with two travel soccer kids (who has spent a lot of money on seeing USWNT and USMNT games) the location and the marketing effort is very unappealing to me.  I know parking will be difficult there too.   We will probably casually go to games... but if I felt more connected to the team and engaged in the process I may have purchased a partial plan.  Just my take.

• Like 2

Also, the average price per game within the season ticket package is the same as the cost to admission for any particular game... when they are playing in Nissan Stadium for at least the first two years, what's the point of getting season tickets?

I imagine the attendance will be pretty decent once the season starts. 

They are incredibly slow at everything they do. There are billboards all around town and I've seen advertising. 

They seem to wait until the last second to start doing everything. That could be them ramping up their marketing team as they are full time MLS now. Or it could just be they don't think they need to do it until the last second. The first game is at the end of February so they should start kicking into gear after the holidays?

2 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

They are incredibly slow at everything they do. There are billboards all around town and I've seen advertising. 

They seem to wait until the last second to start doing everything. That could be them ramping up their marketing team as they are full time MLS now. Or it could just be they don't think they need to do it until the last second. The first game is at the end of February so they should start kicking into gear after the holidays?

Seems to me you would want to be blasting the airwaves with all kinds of season ticket packs as a stocking stuffer.  Have a goal of selling 5000 more season tickets by Christmas or NYE.  

• Like 3