Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

I wish they could play two seasons at Nissan before starting the stadium just to confirm if this is going to be niche market.  When I looked at average attendance for MLS individual teams, you see only two cities could fill a stadium the size of which they are proposing.   A couple of others would be close, but 15 of them could play in a 15,000 seat stadium.

• Like 1

1. Their marketing effort seems to be very weak / low budget. Social media and public relations will only get you saw far when it comes to moving tickets. Nobody really has a clue MLS is starting in February. They need to promote the value, because the tickets are very affordable.

2. I think people are not very into seeing soccer games in a cavernous Nissan Stadium. Even if you get a respectable 25k there it still feels minuscule. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, nashvylle said:

image.png.7d1c266a2cb1612e0fc1f26e7ed422af.png'

To me, removal of the meters and transformers is a sign of the existing buildings about to be demolished. 

The "guise of "winterizing""

They are removing their meters because they buildings are going to be torn down you turkeys. I don't see them not using the new ones, the new buildings have been packed out non-stop since they have been opened. I guess they must be working pretty well...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

While I agree it would be a good place this would set the stadium back atleast five years. It would take forever to get a deal with PSC, then you'd have to remediate, then you'd have to completely redo the stadium and site plan which would be costly.

Edited by DDIG
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, DDIG said:

While I agree it would be a good place this would set the stadium back atleast five years. It would take forever to get a deal with PSC, then you'd have to remediate, then you'd have to completely redo the stadium and site plan which would be costly.

better than being at the fairgrounds for 30 years, in my opinion. 

PSC is not going to happen. Ingram isn't going to buy it, as he has a deal in place WITH THE CITY at the Fairgrounds. The city ISN'T going to buy PSC because it has no money. 

So at this point it's either going to be at the Fairgrounds or never happen. The deal has been made, Cooper is just going against the will of the Council now, which isn't going to be doing himself any favors in the long run for anything else he wants to get done.

In 30 years, the Fairgrounds will be downtown. It's still inside 440 with huge amounts of infill happening.

Edited by PaulChinetti
fixed a crucial word
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

PSC is not going to happen. Ingram isn't going to buy it, as he has a deal in place WITH THE CITY at the Fairgrounds. The city is going to buy PSC because it has no money. 

So at this point it's either going to be at the Fairgrounds or never happen. The deal has been made, Cooper is just going against the will of the Council now, which isn't going to be doing himself any favors in the long run for anything else he wants to get done.

In 30 years, the Fairgrounds will be downtown. It's still inside 440 with huge amounts of infill happening.

Believe you meant to say the city is not going to buy PSC because it has no money.

However, the Tennessean article simply states PSC as one potential location discussed. 

Given PSC was in discussions with the Briley administration to relocate and redevelop, a deal could potentially work to relocate and build the stadium on their site for a fee. 

Anyone with knowledge of Nashville's history should have known better than to attempt to build anything at the fairgrounds.  It's the most dysfunctional piece of ground in the city, as far as citizens' stopping forward progress.  But...Ingram needed the city's help in getting MLS approval and our current mayor wanted to make changes at the fairgrounds (and no, she didn't count the costs of the fight to make it happen).  So...they joined forces...and now Ingram is paying the price.

Most everyone knows this stadium should be closer to the downtown loop, within walking distance of LoBro if possible.

I'm just hoping this whole thing doesn't fail in the end.

The key to lot of possibilities (not just soccer) is figuring out how to move PSC. I'm a little surprised that the city has not found some "issues" at the current site (polluting the river?) to try to push it out. Some deep pocketed developer could work with the city to try to dislodge it. With the land being so prime for many projects, I wonder why some monetary package hasn't been put together that would appeal to get them to relocate.

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 1

PSC is not a viable option for the soccer stadium for all the reasons that DDig mentions. The stadium should be at the fairgrounds as council approved - as Paul mentioned - and council should work tirelessly to get SMI on board to for the race track. CM Sledge should not eliminate the amendment of the 24 months, but rather have the clock start at the time of construction starting on the stadium. I am not sure of financing on the stadium with regards to actual construction, but Ingram should mash the throttle as fast as possible once he can and have crews working as fast and as much as possible. That 10-acres (the whole location really) is a gift that he is going to have to improve rapidly once he gets the green light and if he can't get that stadium online in the time frame outlined, he should suffer the consequences.

I will say i dont think the 10-acre development is the greatest idea in the world when surrounding by a large stadium/event venue and a motorsport racetrack, but somehow that is what was passed. That being said, the Tennessean article stated that SMI put out that Populous rendering  (inaccurate rendering at that)  and complained about the proximity of the development, but wasn't that the fairground nuts and the Formosas?

• Like 1

I certainly hope that's just silly politician talk, and we've seen that John Cooper has no shortage of that. He won by talking like a populist. He also shoots from the hip. I suspect folks (journos, council members, voters) are going to get a full belly of him before the end of his first term.  https://www.tennessean.com/get-access/?return=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tennessean.com%2Fstory%2Fnews%2Flocal%2F2019%2F12%2F10%2Fmayor-john-cooper-nashville-receivership-false-claim%2F4388445002%2F

• Like 1