Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

23 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

"and it doesn't consider the future of the Speedway. He said a successful plan going forward would address both things."

The speedway can't account for it's own self, why should another development have to take it into account. Is there even anybody under contract to run races there? The last company got the stinky boot because they couldn't pay their bills and follow the rules. SO now the stadium is being held up because of someone else's incompetence. Crap like this is why people are so disillusioned with their governments. You made the deal, follow through. 

You're right. The speedway can't account for itself, because it is owned by Metro and has no operator/promoter at this time. I genuinely believe that Metro cancelled the Formosa contract because they are getting ready to bring SMI on board to reinvigorate the speedway.

Being 100% honest, the soccer stadium technically couldn't get built without accounting for itself. Apparently an extra 10-acres needed to be part of the deal to account for it. I agree entirely that the council and current administration need to honor the deal they made, but Cooper has every right to hold things up with the cost overruns that have been highlighted. The deal was struck at certain cost figures and it is now coming to light that the administration who struck the deal had no idea of cost implications. $50 million for infrastructure improvements is already almost gone and the real work hasn't even really started. The expo facilities came out great, but cost 43 million versus the original $25 million. Ingram's group have stated they are going to cover the cost overuns of the stadium, but are they going to cover the infrastructure? If they aren't, I'm glad to see Metro is coming to the table with added elements to the deal such as accounting for the speedway. Something the original deal should've taken into account anyways, accounting for the speedway would've been the responsible thing of any planner on this scale of a project.

• Like 1

It's official, Charlotte is the 30th MLS team. And the related discussion is about having Atlanta and Nashville as rivals, but I don't see that from our end. I think Cincinnati and Columbus plus Atlanta will be more intense rivalries for Nashville. Both Ohio cities are closer to Nashville than Charlotte is.  However, I know it will ultimately depend on how the divisions will be organized however. 

Edit: Should include St. Louis as a rival.

• Like 4

I do think Nashville will be a secondary rival just because we are in economic and other terms now.  But Charlotte's biggest soccer rivalry will Atlanta and I am sure it will be Nashville's too.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/12/17/charlottes-rivals-mls-it-has-be-atlanta

PS even though it about a 6 hour drive to Nashville from Charlotte we have multiple flights between American and Southwest and their fares are cheap to Nashville from CLT. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I do think Nashville will be a secondary rival just because we are in economic and other terms now.  But Charlotte's biggest soccer rivalry will Atlanta and I am sure it will be Nashville's too.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/12/17/charlottes-rivals-mls-it-has-be-atlanta

PS even though it about a 6 hour drive to Nashville from Charlotte we have multiple flights between American and Southwest and their fares are cheap to Nashville from CLT. 

As @PHofKS stated, I think Atlanta and Cincinnati will be Nashville’s biggest rivals, and Charlotte will be one too. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

so from May 13 to July 5 approx. 6 weeks no home games?  how can you build a fan base with a schedule like that?  

Ha.    That span would also be Nashville's best weather, after the spring rain has stopped and just before the July - August swamp heat sets in.       Ah well, maybe Nashville can use their July - Aug home stand as an advantage as the visitors come here and swelter.     Only Houston will look forward to playing here in August, haha    

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

so from May 13 to July 5 approx. 6 weeks no home games?  how can you build a fan base with a schedule like that?  

Everything about this first season for us in the MLS is weird.  In a never-ending fight to get started building the new stadium at the Fairgrounds.  Marketing for the upcoming season is spotty at best.  MLS puts us in the west for now (hopefully that changes when Charlotte, Austin and whomever else comes on board).  Month and a half road games without a home stand at all...in the middle of our best weather.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So...MLS starts here next month...and just wondering.  These guys who sign with Nashville...from all over the world, it seems...will they actually live here...buy houses etc...or maybe the club leases them each a condo or something?  Just wondering if any soccer guys actually put down roots.  For that matter...I wonder what percentage of Titans / Preds players put down roots here?

5 hours ago, titanhog said:

So...MLS starts here next month...and just wondering.  These guys who sign with Nashville...from all over the world, it seems...will they actually live here...buy houses etc...or maybe the club leases them each a condo or something?  Just wondering if any soccer guys actually put down roots.  For that matter...I wonder what percentage of Titans / Preds players put down roots here?

I mean I would assume so just for the sake of convenience if nothing else, but you bring up an interesting question especially in regards to the soccer players given the fact that the team will probably average only around one game per week... I mean there is still training and whatnot to consider, but I suppose if any professional athlete could get away with living elsewhere and simply flying into town when needed, it would be a pro soccer player!

The last few home shirts for MLS expansion teams have been super simple, so this seems to be following that pattern closely. For perspective, FC Cincinnati's looked like this with the white shirt as the home option-

image.png

I'm thinking the aways will have a chance to showcase a little more personality.

Edited by henburg

5 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

I mean I would assume so just for the sake of convenience if nothing else, but you bring up an interesting question especially in regards to the soccer players given the fact that the team will probably average only around one game per week... I mean there is still training and whatnot to consider, but I suppose if any professional athlete could get away with living elsewhere and simply flying into town when needed, it would be a pro soccer player!

They still practice several times a week. 

• Thanks 1