Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

4 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

I hope Gov. Lee has the Economic directors of Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson and Sumner (et.al.) counties on his cell contacts. If he sees talks between Cooper and a blue chip relocation possibility beginning to falter, I hope he'll refer them to the neighboring counties. Or even to Chattanooga, Knoxville, etc. 

True. But some of the big fish tech companies that have been circling know what their talent wants - urban (not suburban) and really cool - Nashville is kind of the only city that checks those boxes.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mike G said:

Which is why you don't need to give those companies incentives to move to a place they want to be.

As I said elsewhere, they like Nashville, they don't have to be here. There are other lower tax burden states with cool cities and while incentives aren't the end all, be all, if say three cities are equal in a search it is often the tie breaker.

• Like 3

Save our Fairgrounds and Metro are in court today regarding the 10 acres and the charter. One of two outcomes will be decided over the next few days from my understanding- Either the plaintiffs (SOF) have enough merit to have the case go to trial (likely this summer or fall), or the case will be dismissed. If it's dismissed, SOF has stated they will appeal. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Armacing said:

Thus, Ingram and his team find themselves at the mercy of the shifting political sands of the Nashville government. 

Everything you say is most likely true based on some of the other franchises. 

My only quip is that if you go through the entire process of getting approved by the Council at that point it should be apolitical and (hand wiping motion) a done deal.  If he’s gonna veto it, or whatever mechanism the Mayor’s office has, then he needs to do it and be done with it. 

1 hour ago, Armacing said:

But therein lies the problem.  Ingram and his team have already done the math and figured out that the MLS franchise will go broke if they have to pay for either a stadium or the land it's built on.  They already know, based on their thorough research as investors, that the only way to bring professional soccer to Nashville is with a massive government subsidy.  Thus, Ingram and his team find themselves at the mercy of the shifting political sands of the Nashville government.  If it were as easy as picking a viable site, buying the land, building a stadium, and collecting ticket revenue, this would all have been completed by now.  We only find ourselves witness to this convoluted political melodrama because (and I must re-iterate this) an MLS franchise in Nashville would go broke absent massive public subsidies.

If anything you said is true or not is moot. The city made a deal.  A whole lot of money and manpower was put into trusting the city would honor that deal. The city now no longer wants to honor that deal despite Nashville SC willing to put in more than what the deal requires. I suspect if there is no agreement by that February 6th deadline they gave in their statement Metro is getting sued by MLS / Nashville SC.

4 minutes ago, downtownresident said:

Here’s the statement from Cooper: 

C6039B8B-444F-4EC8-AB68-76441ECD1663.png.d39eb079c205a161b7360fd923d22d97.png

I found it interesting that the team and MLS stated that they hoped to have an agreement on Feb 6th. 

Get the deal done or get thy lawyers ready is how I read it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Any thinking person knows that without the push for the stadium at the fairgrounds would have left nothing being accomplished there. No new expo building, just those embarrassing run down shacks that look more at home on the set of The Grapes of Wrath. The speedway has been boondoggle since even before NASCAR pulled the two cup races here in 1983. It is with a realistic viewpoint that I state as long as Cooper is mayor,Nashville's days of being the IT city are doomed. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SumnerCountian said:

Any thinking person knows that without the push for the stadium at the fairgrounds would have left nothing being accomplished there. No new expo building, just those embarrassing run down shacks that look more at home on the set of The Grapes of Wrath. The speedway has been boondoggle since even before NASCAR pulled the two cup races here in 1983. It is with a realistic viewpoint that I state as long as Cooper is mayor,Nashville's days of being the IT city are doomed. 

I'm telling you, Cooper would run off Oracle bringing 5k jobs here and think he did a good thing for Nashville. I'm not saying that tongue-in-cheek. He's not right.

• Like 4

Just now, DDIG said:

I'm telling you, Cooper would run off Oracle bringing 5k jobs here and think he did a good thing for Nashville. I'm not saying that tongue-in-cheek. He's not right.

I agree with your statement. I understand the need to Get the financial house in order, but don't kill the goose that is laying the golden eggs. You do have to spend a little money to make money. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DDIG said:

Which is insane, as River North’s redevelopment would bring in revenue that wouldn’t be tied to TIF, the convention center, or anything else. 

• Like 2

It’s way more then just this MLS deal, Cooper is going to derail so much more. Don’t you think anyone and everyone that are looking to invest in Nashville , is paying close attention to the way that he is . Is there anyway to remove him from office before his term is up? If not , this might become the end of Nashville’s glory days. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Luvemtall said:

It’s way more then just this MLS deal, Cooper is going to derail so much more. Don’t you think anyone and everyone that are looking to invest in Nashville , is paying close attention to the way that he is . Is there anyway to remove him from office before his term is up? If not , this might become the end of Nashville’s glory days. 

That's what I fear as well.  I'm sure it isn't going to sit well with other entities considering an investment into the city seeing Cooper essentially back out of a deal with the MLS that was already agreed upon and approved.  This is a classic case of a person with no idea what they're doing, who stumbled his way into a position of power by grumbling about the status quo, who's idea of 'progression' is regression by way of dismantling the hard work of his predecessors.  This guy hasn't even been in office a year yet and he is already doing what I fear may be irreparable harm to this city.  And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the city doesn't need to straighten out it's financial situation, but killing major economic investments just so we can save a penny in the short term, is nothing more than cutting off our nose to spite our face.   The fact that Cooper has made himself the city's primary 'recruiter' makes me sick to my stomach.

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1