Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

Here’s the Tennessean article:

https://amp.tennessean.com/amp/4667392002?__twitter_impression=true

Nashville Soccer Holdings filed a motion in chancery court Friday arguing it has a right to intervene in the Save Our Fairgrounds lawsuit, which is seeking to block the stadium. The ownership group said it could lose its team if the lawsuit is successful.”

"Nashville Soccer seeks to intervene to support Metro’s position that the Stadium Agreement wholly complies with and does not violate the Charter," the motion states. 

The team also argues that under the deal, the city must start demolition to clear the old expo center buildings to make way for the stadium. 

Edited by downtownresident
Additional context
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LA_TN said:

So, March 31 deadline for losing the team

"In February 2018, Nashville Soccer and MLS entered into a formal Expansion Agreement that brings Nashville Soccer into MLS and allows it to operate an MLS team in Nashville. The Expansion Agreement requires Nashville Soccer to begin stadium construction by March 31, 2020. If this milestone is missed, MLS can terminate the agreement and Nashville Soccer could lose its team. Metro was supposed to have delivered a site at the Fairgrounds for stadium development as of June 30, 2019 and Metro and Nashville Soccer are working vigorously to secure that delivery immediately.

2020-02-07-Memorandum-in-Support-of-Motion-to-Intervene.pdf

So we know what Coopers deadline is Wednesday April 1, 2020...

A fun thread. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

By them I am presuming you mean the SoF crowd? They couldn't build new shiny buildings because it isn't their land. The state/Davidson County would be the only one with the power to upgrade the facilities and they clearly weren't willing to do that until something came along to make the upgrade worth while.

For the racetrack are you talking about the Formosas? The Formosas couldn't expand the racetrack because it wasn't his track and clearly the operation was not capable of it. I am almost willing to bet the Formosa's bid was picked by previous administration with the knowledge that he was a smaller operation that has clearly not followed by the rules which would only make cancelling his contract and ultimately killing the racetrack easier. Nobody is racing there because there is no promoter to turn on the lights and there is no legitimate group handling the racetrack. Please don't minimize the racetrack because it is a good soapbox to stand on. 

Citation needed.   They either did or they didn't.  The racetrack is there, no way to minimize it.  I do, however, minimize the used item crowd, freely.

2 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Are we even sure that a hard deadline is going to be a motivator for someone like John Cooper?  Hell, for all we know, his end goal is probably to push the team out anyway!

I don’t think he’s going to budge 

⚽️ You're Invited To "Kickin' It With MLS Commissioner Don Garber, Nashville SC Owner John Ingram and CEO Ian Ayre" ⚽

1E0E1261-2CBC-4904-A6AF-E0DCBCD39E18.jpeg

• Like 2

This is another reason why Ingram should have had a plan b...and I hope he still does.  Anyone with any time living in Nashville should have known that the fairgrounds supporters are crazy and will fight tooth and toenail to keep it primitive.  Once Barry was canned, Ingram should have immediately started making plans just in case this fiasco would happen.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, DMilner said:

Cooper speaks....and offers absolutely no new insight. The anchor quotes him as saying there will be an exciting announcement next week. 

https://fox17.com/news/local/mayor-cooper-responds-to-criticism-over-mls-stadium-delay

The unbuilt area of Nashville Yards is being redeveloped into a carniv, err, amusement park?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, DMilner said:

Cooper speaks....and offers absolutely no new insight. The anchor quotes him as saying there will be an exciting announcement next week. 

https://fox17.com/news/local/mayor-cooper-responds-to-criticism-over-mls-stadium-delay

Probably going to be his NASCAR bs

• Like 3

3 hours ago, UTgrad09 said:

Here's my guess as to what's going to happen. You're going to announce that NASCAR is returning to Nashville, and that the only thing standing in the way is Nashville SC and their greedy holding of parcel 8C. And if they'll just give that up for nothing, then the stadium can proceed. There will be no detailed plan for racetrack expansion and the costs the city is on the hook for, because they don't exist. Just pretty renderings, and the promise of weekly noise at the Fairgrounds. SMI will not have to submit a CBA, and all infrastructure improvements on site will be paid for by Nashville SC. 

I can just about guarantee that Cooper will blame Ingram's group for the hold-up.

1,0000000%. 

Cooper is going to back Ingram into a corner and make it seem like Ingram is the only thing holding back Nashville from having soccer and nascar. Ugh. Praying it all works out

• Like 1

After reading Mayor Cooper's letter in the Tennessean, if I were advising John Ingram on the soccer stadium deal, I'd immediately start negotiating with Rutherford County for a stadium just across the Davidson line, near I-24.  That's the highest growth area of Davidson County too, and he could buy as much land around the stadium to develop, just like The Braves did with Suntrust Park. And I'd turn dirt on that stadium as soon as possible as I wave (with my middle finger) goodbye to Cooper.

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, MLBrumby said:

After reading Mayor Cooper's letter in the Tennessean, if I were advising John Ingram on the soccer stadium deal, I'd immediately start negotiating with Rutherford County for a stadium just across the Davidson line, near I-24.  That's the highest growth area of Davidson County too, and he could buy as much land around the stadium to develop, just like The Braves did with Suntrust Park. And I'd turn dirt on that stadium as soon as possible as I wave (with my middle finger) goodbye to Cooper.

MLS doesn’t want that location. They want downtown. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

MLS doesn’t want that location. They want downtown. 

I get that... but things have gotten out of hand with Cooper. Ultimately it's Ingram's team... yes, MLS has influence but Ingram's got the money. I doubt MLS like the fiasco that Cooper has caused. Ingram would end up with a helluva lot more revenue and less constraints on his team. Obviously, Ingram wants to keep it at Fairgrounds, but as I said, if I were advising him, I'd want to start construction with as few shackles as possible. But that's how I am naturally.  Wouldn't hurt things also to embarrass Cooper in the process. 

Edited by MLBrumby

12 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

I get that... but things have gotten out of hand with Cooper. Ultimately it's Ingram's team... yes, MLS has influence but Ingram's got the money. I doubt MLS like the fiasco that Cooper has caused. Ingram would end up with a helluva lot more revenue and less constraints on his team. Obviously, Ingram wants to keep it at Fairgrounds, but as I said, if I were advising him, I'd want to start construction with as few shackles as possible. But that's how I am naturally.  Wouldn't hurt things also to embarrass Cooper in the process. 

MLS has too many bad situations with teams out in the suburbs (Dallas in Frisco, Salt Lake City, Chicago, etc). They would take back the team. 

In some good news, I’m hearing season ticket sales are close to 14k. If we can get to 15k that is respectable. 

Edited by nashvylle
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, nashvylle said:

MLS has too many bad situations with teams out in the suburbs (Dallas in Frisco, Salt Lake City, Chicago, etc). They would take back the team. 

After this fiasco, I doubt that. But that leads to my second piece of advice if I were in that position with Ingram... move the team to a completely different city that MLS is considering for expansion. I realize as boosters, everyone here wants soccer, but I'm paid to be a dispassionate adviser. 

• Sad 1