Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

Councilman Colby Sledge is scheduled to be on 104.5 The Zone at 12:15, I believe.

If there is any silver lining to the timing of this stadium issue, it's that this is happening during a relatively dead sports period (since the Preds and local college basketball teams are struggling, too). So stations like 104.5 are looking for good content. 

And for those that don't know, 104.5 is a powerhouse sports talk station. It's one of the largest by market share in the country. It will do way more to inform people of what is going on than any Tennessean coverage.

• Like 2

Just now, nashvylle said:

MLS said no. 

Wow, didn’t realize that.  How’s that fair?  MLS has permitted others (Seattle, etc.) to play at football stadiums.  If this March 31st deadline passes without resolution/start of demolition/construction anyone think MLS will actually pull the team from Nashville and refund Ingram’s Expansion Fee payment?

Just now, Hushpuppy321 said:

Wow, didn’t realize that.  How’s that fair?  MLS has permitted others (Seattle, etc.) to play at football stadiums.  If this March 31st deadline passes without resolution/start of demolition/construction anyone think MLS will actually pull the team from Nashville and refund Ingram’s Expansion Fee payment?

Seattle, Atlanta, and now Charlotte all play in or will play in NFL stadiums, but the owner of the MLS team is also the owner of the NFL team they share the stadium with. Titans and NashvilleSC have separate owners. NashvilleSC is going to pay like $10MM in rent for Nissan each year...

I do think it's possible MLS could pull the team, and I don't expect MLS to refund the expansion fee (metro would be sued by Ingram). 

If Stadium deal doesn’t work can’t Ingram & Nashville, SC just play at the football stadium?  

One of the stipulations for Nashville bring awarded a team was a plan for a soccer specific stadium.

So while the answer to your question is technically 'yes,' it comes with the caveat that if Nashville had proposed that the team play at Nissan Stadium, they likely wouldn't have been awarded the team.

2 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Seattle, Atlanta, and now Charlotte all play in or will play in NFL stadiums, but the owner of the MLS team is also the owner of the NFL team they share the stadium with. Titans and NashvilleSC have separate owners. NashvilleSC is going to pay like $10MM in rent for Nissan each year...

I do think it's possible MLS could pull the team, and I don't expect MLS to refund the expansion fee (metro would be sued by Ingram). 

Damn - guess it’s a high stakes game of chicken.  Hopefully the Mayor will blink instead of going headlong into disaster for Metro.  Just how awful would it be for Nashville to lose the team and then the Government (taxpayers) be sued and eventually on the hook for hundreds of Millions in Damages.  And all for nothing....

Not familiar with local politics in Nashville but I’m sure that he’ll (Mayor) be persuaded to relent.  If not they’ll be retribution at the ballot box for sure.  Gotta love the slow grinding wheels of democracy ...

Damn - guess it’s a high stakes game of chicken.  Hopefully the Mayor will blink instead of going headlong into disaster for Metro.  Just how awful would it be for Nashville to lose the team and then the Government (taxpayers) be sued and eventually on the hook for hundreds of Millions in Damages.  And all for nothing....

Not familiar with local politics in Nashville but I’m sure that he’ll (Mayor) be persuaded to relent.  If not they’ll be retribution at the ballot box for sure.  Gotta love the slow grinding wheels of democracy ...

I am afraid Cooper is not going to budge .

1 minute ago, UTgrad09 said:

One of the stipulations for Nashville bring awarded a team was a plan for a soccer specific stadium.

So while the answer to your question is technically 'yes,' it comes with the caveat that if Nashville had proposed that the team play at Nissan Stadium, they likely wouldn't have been awarded the team.

Damn - I guess all the other expansion teams recently (last 10 years) awarded with soccer specific stadiums have/had similar requirements.

Just now, nashvylle said:

I am afraid Cooper is not going to budge .

If he doesn’t - and greater Nashville misses out, then what a colossal A-Hole of a Mayor the Metro Government has.  How’d someone like this get elected??  He’s gotta understand that Major League Sports are / can be a type of economic development tool.

4 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Damn - I guess all the other expansion teams recently (last 10 years) awarded with soccer specific stadiums have/had similar requirements.

If he doesn’t - and greater Nashville misses out, then what a colossal A-Hole of a Mayor the Metro Government has.  How’d someone like this get elected??  He’s gotta understand that Major League Sports are / can be a type of economic development tool.

He doesn't want economic development. His base is people who are mad that Nashville has grown and that people are moving here.

He's also a bitter asshole and will do what he can to stop soccer if only to screw over John Ingram.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, DDIG said:

He doesn't want economic development. His base is people who are mad that Nashville has grown and that people are moving here.

He's also a bitter asshole and will do what he can to stop soccer if only to screw over John Ingram.

If that’s truly the case then it’s looking pretty dark for Soccer in Nashville.  Can Metro Council do something about this ignorant mayor?  In Charlotte where I live we have a Weak Mayor and Council/Manager form of government.  Nashville have a Strong Mayor?

34 minutes ago, DDIG said:

Remember... his brother Jim Cooper, Nashville's US Congressman for more than a decade, is even more of a bitter a--hole. Just remember that in the primaries and/or general election this year. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

If that’s truly the case then it’s looking pretty dark for Soccer in Nashville.  Can Metro Council do something about this ignorant mayor?  In Charlotte where I live we have a Weak Mayor and Council/Manager form of government.  Nashville have a Strong Mayor?

Nashville is typically strong Mayor, but around the time of Megan Barry she started shifting some power to the council. Cooper so far has acted without much regard for the council so I imagine he seeks to take back the reigns. The budget process is going to be a mess though.

2 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Remember... his brother Jim Cooper, Nashville's US Congressman for more than a decade, is even more of a bitter a--hole. Just remember that in the primaries and/or general election this year. 

Enough of the Jim Cooper bashing, who the hell is your Congressman in Chattanooga?  Jim Cooper is an honorable man and has been elected overwhelmingly so I am pretty sure the voters like me are perfectly fine with him and need no lecturing from someone outside the city. 

10 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Well... I suppose it is encouraging to hear soccer included in their supposed vision for the fairgrounds... but I'm still not confident that Cooper doesn't have ulterior motives here.

8 hours ago, PruneTracy said:

See, and people on here were complaining last year that NSC wasn't doing enough public outreach. Now they're getting free advertising.

tumblr_mww8w7m8t91sdus82o1_500.gif

This is not out of the realm of possibility.  Get publicity.  Stir up the "natives".  No publicity is bad publicity.  etc