Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

2 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Right!  I think with the 'old school' politicians... they get away with their old school tactics only as long as the local media yokels let them. I could be wrong, but I don't get the sense that the local yokels have any extraordinary love for John Cooper. 

Tennessean is after him. Other media is quickly starting to wonder what is wrong with this guy?

• Like 1

Signed the petition and sent an original email to the Mayor.

17 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

Is Nascar going to have to go through the process like MLS did, first question. Second question, is Nascar going to cover the entire debt service of any bonds they get? If the answer to either of those is no, then Nascar is a non-starter to me and the MLS stadium has to start immediately, as it was approved. No loss of parcel 8C.

I would say that SMI has the right to ask for as much money as they want. They should only get $50 million worth of bond help as that is essentially what the agreed infrastructure costs were for. The way I am interpreting the statements from Nashville SC is that the debt obligation is only for the revenue bonds. Otherwise why would they be ponying up the additional $19 million in infrastructure costs. If we want SMI to improve the racetrack (which will NEED to happen to bring Nascar here), Metro is going to have to work out ownership details of the racetrack with SMI, if they don't do that, SMI would have the right to ask for more money. I would also argue that the racetrack does not need to go  through the same process as the soccer stadium as it is an existing structure/venue and up until recently the racing as been there for a long time.

Here are some of my thoughts on solutions with SMI:

• Metro is going to have to work out ownership of the racetrack.
    • They either need to grant a long term lease of the racetrack (same length as soccer)
    • 99-year ground lease to SMI so they can improve and reap the benefits of improvement just like the development team will reap the benefits of the stadium AND the 10-acres.
    • Turn over ownership of the racetrack so that SMI can do all the improvements they deem needed and so that they can keep the revenue money
    • Pony up dough for improvements. Ingram owns the stadium and the 10-acres of mixed use property around the stadium. SMI will not have that option, so any SMI deal is going to be different.
  • SMI (if given ownership/ground lease) will have to develop a CBA for the expanded use of the racetrack for more events
  • Parking will be an issue with the racetrack so SMI will have to work out a financial deal with Ingram (and Market Street Enterprises) to either help build parking or contract the lots so that Ingram (and Market Street Enterprises) profits like a mad man.

Bringing SMI on board this late in the game is going to complicate things and create a very petty situation around the fairgrounds - beyond what is already occurring. This forum does not need to fall to the petty level that is surrounding the fiasco. 

On 2/10/2020 at 6:23 PM, downtownresident said:

999D8696-E012-4C15-8034-8913397F67DD.thumb.jpeg.20b5d15767d1cbb1f7f4f5c1084ff034.jpeg

If this is true, this is Ingram's worst move. The group responsible for NoTax4Trax were blatant in their lies and misinformation with the transit referendum. Granted they won the debate, but with some really bad tactics

Edited by Bos2Nash
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

Signed the petition and sent an original email to the Mayor.

I would say that SMI has the right to ask for as much money as they want. They should only get $50 million worth of bond help as that is essentially what the agreed infrastructure costs were for. The way I am interpreting the statements from Nashville SC is that the debt obligation is only for the revenue bonds. Otherwise why would they be ponying up the additional $19 million in infrastructure costs. If we want SMI to improve the racetrack (which will NEED to happen to bring Nascar here), Metro is going to have to work out ownership details of the racetrack with SMI, if they don't do that, SMI would have the right to ask for more money. I would also argue that the racetrack does not need to go  through the same process as the soccer stadium as it is an existing structure/venue and up until recently the racing as been there for a long time.

Here are some of my thoughts on solutions with SMI:

• Metro is going to have to work out ownership of the racetrack.
    • They either need to grant a long term lease of the racetrack (same length as soccer)
    • 99-year ground lease to SMI so they can improve and reap the benefits of improvement just like the development team will reap the benefits of the stadium AND the 10-acres.
    • Turn over ownership of the racetrack so that SMI can do all the improvements they deem needed and so that they can keep the revenue money
    • Pony up dough for improvements. Ingram owns the stadium and the 10-acres of mixed use property around the stadium. SMI will not have that option, so any SMI deal is going to be different.
  • SMI (if given ownership/ground lease) will have to develop a CBA for the expanded use of the racetrack for more events
  • Parking will be an issue with the racetrack so SMI will have to work out a financial deal with Ingram (and Market Street Enterprises) to either help build parking or contract the lots so that Ingram (and Market Street Enterprises) profits like a mad man.

Bringing SMI on board this late in the game is going to complicate things and create a very petty situation around the fairgrounds - beyond what is already occurring. This forum does not need to fall to the petty level that is surrounding the fiasco. 

If this is true, this is Ingram's worst move. The group responsible for NoTax4Trax were blatant in their lies and misinformation with the transit referendum. Granted they won the debate, but with some really bad tactics

Fighting fire with fire I guess as all Save our Fairgrounds and Cooper do is lie. That being said, I don't think they need to distort the truth. The NoTax guys were good at mobilizing grassroots in their favor and I assume they are hoping they can do the same.

Edited by DDIG

24 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

SOF has recently said the soccer development encompasses 30 acres (WRONG) and the ownership group is going to net Billions in the development... 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Wow! Do you have a personal link to Jim Cooper? I have stated several times why I don't like him with details of my personal encounters. It's not that I'm just spouting off.  Even before this debacle with his brother became public and before he became mayor, I stated how unimpressed I have been by his surly entitled behavior. More to the point however, I think he has been extremely ineffective as a representative from Nashville/Middle Tennessee.  I mean, he couldn't even get funding for the federal courthouse when his own party controlled Congress. That site languished for DECADES! Take it for what it is. Not to guild the lily, but I've stated here before that I work with lobbyists in the healthcare field.  And many people who have dealt with him on this topic, regardless of their party affiliation, have voiced similar opinions on Jim Cooper. One of his own party's leaders somewhat famously stated during his attempt to rewrite healthcare laws in the 1990s (during the Hillary Clinton healthcare commission) when asked if Cooper's proposal had a chance: "Jim's like a bump on a log. In fact, a bump on a log would actually get more done for his constituents." 

Glad you asked about our congressman in Chattanooga because he serves as a great contrast to Jim Cooper.  He is Chuck Fleischmann, whom I've also met several times. He has a reputation as one of the most accessible  reps in Congress. But most importantly to me/many is that he actually had a career in business before entering politics. He didn't come from the elite DC world. In fact, I first met Fleischmann one Saturday morning while swimming laps at the local YMCA. We were actually sharing a lane. He flies (coach) back to Chattanooga every weekend. His kids attend local schools here (I understand that Cooper's attended private Eastern boarding schools).  When I first met Chuck, I didn't even know who he was, as it was shortly after he won the seat after Zach Wamp. I've given several accounts of how Jim Cooper is never as pleasant as Fleischmann was every time I've encountered him. And to the point of effectiveness, Fleischmann was able to pull what considered a miracle in politics in DC today. As a member of the minority, he was able to get funding to resume construction of the Tennessee River Chickamauga locks.  

We also had eight years of Bush with Frist and Alexander as US Senators, whey didn't they see to it our Federal Courthouse was built?  I have met Jim Cooper many times and he is an introvert and is actually very shy, but once again the voters of our District have overwhelmingly voted for Jim Cooper, glad you love your Trump supporting congressman.  But it sounds like you run in circles that would never support a Democrat so your "many people " have said... reminds of your president you uses that all the time to spin lies.  OK, I know this is not what the forum is for but this started with my congressman being called names, of course I see where that comes from. 

14 minutes ago, titanhog said:

Back to soccer...

How about NSC getting Zimmerman in a trade from LAFC?!!  Big time!

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/02/11/nashville-sc-were-saving-war-chest-allocation-money-walker-zimmerman

Wow, that is a great trade for us!  I hadn't heard about that.  A lot of high quality signings with a great deal of experience on the professional and international levels, like Zimmerman, Godoy, Mukhtar, and Accam.  Can't wait to see them on the pitch!

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

The petition idea has been picked up by the Chamber of Commerce. The names will be sent to Cooper today. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2020/02/13/businesses-to-cooper-finalize-stadium-deal-or-risk.html

This only emboldens Cooper. He more or less hates the Chamber and the Business Community.

6 minutes ago, DDIG said:

Cavendish said it is the same deal that was on the table a few weeks ago with the team offering to figure out a 100 foot buffer or whatever. Cooper couldn't get any deal with Speedway and the public pressure caused him to cave.

Seems Mayor Cooper learned that being mayor isn’t all sunshine and rainbows and steamrolling people these past few weeks. 

• Like 1

The campaign to really put the screws to Cooper worked, it proved that the mayor should only push so far on things. But lets not forget that Cooper did good by the citizens of the city here by getting away from debt obligation, getting more dollars for infrastructure. These are items that Barry/Briley couldn't get or didn't mind spending city dollars on that Cooper really pushed for. Now we just need to work on him to drop this "carnival" business over at Yards. Level heads prevailed here and they came to a deal.

Per the parties' agreement, Ingram will keep 8C but examine ways to create 100 feet of distance between the structures in order to create a plaza "that can serve the operational needs of multiple Fairgrounds uses."

Hmmm, looking at 8C on an individual basis to secure proper access to both venues, interesting that this got brought up. I mentioned this specifically to Cooper in my email that looking at 8C as it is designed should be considered to get the deal done. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

The campaign to really put the screws to Cooper worked, it proved that the mayor should only push so far on things. But lets not forget that Cooper did good by the citizens of the city here by getting away from debt obligation, getting more dollars for infrastructure. These are items that Barry/Briley couldn't get or didn't mind spending city dollars on that Cooper really pushed for. Now we just need to work on him to drop this "carnival" business over at Yards. Level heads prevailed here and they came to a deal.

Hmmm, looking at 8C on an individual basis to secure proper access to both venues, interesting that this got brought up. I mentioned this specifically to Cooper in my email that looking at 8C as it is designed should be considered to get the deal done. 

We should know about the Carnival pretty soon as the sign package is before DRC this morning. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

Now we just need to work on him to drop this "carnival" business over at Yards. Level heads prevailed here and they came to a deal.

And get Oracle at River North... 

I wonder if Governor Lee and Bob Rolfe told Cooper if the state were to give any money for Nascar, he has to get Oracle. 

• Like 4