Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

4 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

And get Oracle at River North... 

I wonder if Governor Lee and Bob Rolfe told Cooper if the state were to give any money for Nascar, he has to get Oracle. 

Ha. While I agree that the voucher bill is a mess, I think the bigger message may have been - so you just announced you are suing us and now you want $60 million dollars?

Edited by DDIG

6 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

I still don't particularly like him no. 

I will give him kudos for getting concessions though! Seems like there could have been a better way to go about it, but who knows.

The concessions are nice but renegotiating a done deal may do more harm in the long-term.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Craiger said:

We still don't like Cooper though right? 

Just want to be sure I'm still in tune with the groupthink here. 

No. He’s still meddling with sign permits and still rescinded promised money to two large employers and then childishly bragged about it. 

Kudos for getting the extra money, but that was allegedly agreed to a while ago in private, so all of this public spectacle could’ve been avoided if he’d just taken the money and started demo. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, japan said:

The concessions are nice but renegotiating a done deal may do more harm in the long-term.

I think he did some general harm to his reputation in the way it was handled. He had an easy win but he pushed it farther than it needed to go and frustrated a lot of people in the process and got a lot of people who don't generally pay attention to politics asking what is wrong with the mayor?

Edited by DDIG
  • Like 1

Just now, downtownresident said:

No. He’s still meddling with sign permits and still rescinded promised money to two large employers and then childishly bragged about it. 

Kudos for getting the extra money, but that was allegedly agreed to a while ago in private, so all of this public spectacle could’ve been avoided if he’d just taken the money and started demo. 

Ok good. We still don't like him. I agree. I want every city street to look like lower Broad. I miss the 2 miserable days I spent in Las Vegas. 

• Confused 3

58 minutes ago, Craiger said:

We still don't like Cooper though right? 

Just want to be sure I'm still in tune with the groupthink here. 

Using a term like "groupthink" implies that you don't think there were actually any legitimate reasons for disapproving of Cooper's term as mayor thus far, and all here were merely doing so just to fit in.  Is that what you actually believe?

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, mattbhadley said:

Excited that Cooper and Nashville SC finally reached an agreement! I know the articles I have read say that demo will now begin pretty much immediately. But will the ongoing lawsuit that was brought by the Save Our Fairgrounds people impact the the start of construction on the actual stadium? 

yes. I am not sure the bonds will or can be issued for the stadium until the lawsuit is settled. 

7 minutes ago, satalac said:

Cooper isn't going to learn anything from this and likely spin it as he saved Nashville from a disastrous deal.  That's what politicians do. 

That being said, I'm glad this is ove.....ok, don't want to jinx it. I'm glad this is progressing. 

Yeah I can see him taking from this that his obstructionist tactics work and he is justified in using them further.  But like you said, at least this particular episode is behind us and over with... I hope...

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fishsticks176 said:

You *are* allowed to have your own opinion, you know, and you can do so without the disingenuousness of shouting “groupthink!” at those who don’t agree with you.

I called it groupthink because this forum is (obviously) focused on development and as soon as Cooper did something "against development" almost EVERY single post that day was a circle jerk about Cooper. That was also when a mod here decided to make fun of Coopers personal appearance. And now in this thread people are saying Cooper is the one being childish, but didn't have any problem with the ad hominem attack by a mod. 

So yeah. I'd say it's an embarrassing look for this forum.  It's obviously turned me off a bit. I can only imagine the monthly meetings when nothing is on record. 

1 hour ago, BnaBreaker said:

Using a term like "groupthink" implies that you don't think there were actually any legitimate reasons for disapproving of Cooper's term as mayor thus far, and all here were merely doing so just to fit in.  Is that what you actually believe?

Yes I do believe that for the past week or two the cool thing to do on this forum is to complain about Cooper. The first page of this new thread sort of proves my point. Also, I love that he is the one that wants to keep it civil after he makes fun of the mayor's looks because he doesn't agree with his policies... Great look for the board. 

Edited by Craiger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

The guy deserved to be raked over the coals, not strictly for being anti-development, but for trying to rework a deal that he was against when he was in the minority.  And if someone making a passing joke about someone's eyebrows is enough to send you into a tizzy, I hope you don't follow national politics...

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Craiger said:

So because some things are worse I shouldn't hold mods on the board to a decent standard? He never even apologized or removed it when I mentioned it. THAT's childish. It just looks so tacky to comment on someone's appearance like that. 

Wait... are you serious?  You demanded an apology from someone because they made a joke about the mayor's eyebrows being bushy?  What are you, Cooper's mom?  I've never encountered someone so sensitive to eyebrow based humor. 

Doesn't anyone think it's a bit strange that not a single other person has agreed that a mod shouldn't be making ad hominem attacks, but everyone agrees I'm the one overreacting? The post that made fun of the Mayors appearance has gotten more "likes" then any of my posts trying to point out the problem with it combined. I've just lost a lot of respect for people on this board. 

Now you're losing respect for people because they don't feel the same way you do about eyebrow humor?  Why are you so hung up about eyebrows?  This is bizarre.

Then there was Oracle and .... THE CARNIVAL too. It wasn't just a done deal. The whole board went into a "tizzy" because of some rumors. You got likes on your post if you could find a way to turn any topic into a bash Cooper topic. That's the groupthink part. 

So anytime people agree on an idea you consider it "groupthink?"   I mean, who woulda thunk that a majority of people spending their free time on an urban development message board would be pro urban development!?  What a bunch of non-thinking robots!

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Craiger said:

So because some things are worse I shouldn't hold mods on the board to a decent standard? He never even apologized or removed it when I mentioned it. THAT's childish. It just looks so tacky to comment on someone's appearance like that. 

Then there was Oracle and .... THE CARNIVAL too. It wasn't just a done deal. The whole board went into a "tizzy" because of some rumors. You got likes on your post if you could find a way to turn any topic into a bash Cooper topic. That's the groupthink part. 

Newsflash: people who discuss development and development boosters  don’t like city official that is obstructing development.

As for the remark, a passing comment about someone’s eyebrows is hardly a hyper serious remark. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

Wait... are you serious?  You demanded an apology from someone because they made a joke about the mayor's eyebrows being bushy?  What are you, Cooper's mom?  I've never encountered someone so sensitive to eyebrow based humor. 

So anytime people agree on an idea you consider it "groupthink?"   I mean, who woulda thunk that a majority of people spending their free time on an urban development message board would be pro urban development!  What a bunch of non-thinking robots!

No. I think an apology would be a little strange. I was imagining he would just edit it to take it out seeing how it was clearly childish. I am rather sensitive to this type of attack honestly yes. And of course we see it all the time in national politics. I try to call out my friends too when they do the same thing. Candidate's x's policies are embarrassing enough. There is just no reason we need to make fun of how they look. We teach are children not to do that for a reason. 

Yes, as I alluded to, this board is clearly focused on development, but I was just shocked that every single post for a few days was twisted to get a jab at Cooper. it was just really annoying. I come to the board for development updates and discussion. 

21 minutes ago, ruraljuror said:

This is such a crazy soapbox to get on.

First, sure - it's tacky to attack someone's appearance. I will note, however, that we have consistently carved out an exception to this general rule when referring to politicians pretty much since the US was founded. I'll also add, that Smeags has dropped more than a few self-deprecating posts where he makes fun of his own appearance, so I don't think you're giving him much credit for the tone he's established with his posting history over his many years here making the forum what it is today. BUT, if you were offended by his 'attack' of Cooper's eyebrows -then cheers to you for calling out an injustice you see in the world and taking a stand against it.

All that said, it seems as though you think that the moderator of an internet message board should be held to the same standard of decorum as the mayor of a pretty major US city.  Not to mention that moderator removed his offending comment and you're apparently still angry about it because he didn't explicitly apologize.  I should ask, are you equally angry that Cooper hasn't publicly apologized to Asurion or Ingram? 

One of these people's comments and actions apparently looks tacky to you and maybe a few other people who visit this board.  The other person's comments and actions look significantly worse than tacky to corporate relocation scouts, the entire US soccer community, and just about anyone who was considering making any kind of deal with the city of Nashville going forward.  One of these things is not like the other.

And I'll reiterate - Cooper only got additional concessions from NSC through bad faith negotiation and using leverage (extortion) that wasn't available when the original deal was struck. No matter the outcome with the soccer stadium, our city will experience negative repercussions as a result of Cooper's tactics for the remainder of his time in office, and probably beyond.  Regardless of how one feels about the city's growth and development, we should all at the absolute very least be able to agree that our reputation as fair-dealers should be important and protected by those in leadership positions. 

I hadn't realized he had removed the comment. He hadn't that day after he was clearly active in the same thread. I didn't go back and check. As I said above, I definitely didn't expect an apology. I was very surprised he didn't remove it. I guess he has now so that's cool.

But no I am not at ALL angry with Cooper for not giving handouts to a company like Asurion that just laid people off! We want to give them tax breaks for "hiring" people in the same year they lay people off? Let's give some handouts to children instead. That'll have an overall larger impact on the economy.

I think the fair deal (no pun intended) is if you want to build a stadium in Nashville, you buy some land and build a stadium. 

Edit: He hasn't removed the comment as you say above FYI. 

Edited by Craiger
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1