Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

1 minute ago, Craiger said:

I think I was specifically triggered by the word ugly iirc. It's just such a sad word. Nobody wants to be called ugly. 

You can call me ugly. I don't care. You're a just a rando on the internet. 

You think John Cooper reads this forum or cares what we think of him?

1 minute ago, UTgrad09 said:

You can call me ugly. I don't care. You're a just a rando on the internet. 

You think John Cooper reads this forum or cares what we think of him?

HAHA no. I'm not concerned with John Cooper.  I'm not a huge fan. I reluctantly voted for him in the runoff, but was not happy about it. Like someone else mentioned above. It's just my soap box. Criticize the policy.  But come on, man. Nobody wants to be called ugly either.  It's just amazing that we can't even all agree it's just kind of a mean thing to do. 

• Like 2

Taking a look at all of these discussions just shows how polarizing Cooper has been in his first year so far. Typically you see people like him get voted into office when something hasn't been going well and people demand a change, but Nashville has absolutely been booming, so it's odd that someone who wants to pump the brakes on everything is voted into office. Maybe the NIMBY crowd is just larger than I realized. I mean I get that this forum can be a bit of an echo chamber when it comes to pro development, but other than the Fairgrounds crowd, I haven't really heard much of a push back on Nashville's growth. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, satalac said:

Taking a look at all of these discussions just shows how polarizing Cooper has been in his first year so far. Typically you see people like him get voted into office when something hasn't been going well and people demand a change, but Nashville has absolutely been booming, so it's odd that someone who wants to pump the brakes on everything is voted into office. Maybe the NIMBY crowd is just larger than I realized. I mean I get that this forum can be a bit of an echo chamber when it comes to pro development, but other than the Fairgrounds crowd, I haven't really heard much of a push back on Nashville's growth. 

Well there's a national (somewhat thanks to Amazon, but other populist reasons too) push-back on handouts to corporations, and I think locally there is some worry that the growth is not keeping up with infrastructure. I personally think infrastructure is lagging, but my personal opinion is to raise taxes to fix infrastructure. I think a lot of more conservative people want to go the other way and pump the brakes on growth. My intuition is that Cooper is trying to thread the needle. I personally hope he is setting up to eventually "have to reluctantly" raise taxes. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, satalac said:

Despite the growth, the city’s government and budget has been a mess. Barry’s refusal to realign the property tax rate post the assessment, her affair, and then Briley’s ascension to the mayors office created the condition in which people who aren’t anti growth decided to vote for the candidate who pledged to fix the mess.

Had Briley been more charismatic and able to properly message and frame things, we wouldn’t be talking about Mayor Cooper right now, imo. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, downtownresident said:

Despite the growth, the city’s government and budget has been a mess. Barry’s refusal to realign the property tax rate post the assessment, her affair, and then Briley’s ascension to the mayors office created the condition in which people who aren’t anti growth decided to vote for the candidate who pledged to fix the mess.

Had Briley been more charismatic and able to properly message and frame things, we wouldn’t be talking about Mayor Cooper right now, imo. 

I really liked Briley at the beginning. I really got turned off by his attempts to sell off city property for an extremely short term budget fix, and also his pledge not to raise taxes. I think he might have changed that pledge at the very end of the campaign, but that's disconcerting too. Hence my reluctant vote for Cooper. 

53 minutes ago, Craiger said:

Edit: He hasn't removed the comment as you say above FYI. 

I apologize, I thought you had said that he'd removed his initial comment and I hadn't gone back to check.

54 minutes ago, Craiger said:

But no I am not at ALL angry with Cooper for not giving handouts to a company like Asurion that just laid people off! We want to give them tax breaks for "hiring" people in the same year they lay people off? Let's give some handouts to children instead. That'll have an overall larger impact on the economy.

I think the fair deal (no pun intended) is if you want to build a stadium in Nashville, you buy some land and build a stadium. 

The issue isn't whether or not you agree with the 'handouts' or whether or not NSC should have to buy their own land for the stadium. You are free to have whatever opinions on these matters that you want, of course, and you can vote for elected officials that share your opinions.  Better yet, run for a leadership position yourself if you feel so inclined. 

The issue here is that when these decisions have been made through the proper channels already and significant amounts of private investment have been made in good faith as a result, it is very important that we don't then try to renegotiate the deal after-the-fact.  As I've stated repeatedly, that's bad faith negotiating and extortion and it will harm our city in the long run in ways that far exceed the value of any 'savings' Cooper may have achieved in the short-run. That is what is important here and that's why everyone that piled on Cooper for pursuing such a short-sighted, childish strategy was more than entirely justified in doing so.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, dxfret said:

It seems clear that the well organized pressure campaign led by Nashville SC had a big impact on ending Cooper’s stonewalling. 

No...more so that Cooper met with Governor Lee...had his hand out...was rebuked and told no (for various reasons); this was the nail in the coffin that ended this attempt to have his cake and eat it too.

Edited by tragenvol
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Craiger said:

Well there's a national (somewhat thanks to Amazon, but other populist reasons too) push-back on handouts to corporations, and I think locally there is some worry that the growth is not keeping up with infrastructure. I personally think infrastructure is lagging, but my personal opinion is to raise taxes to fix infrastructure. I think a lot of more conservative people want to go the other way and pump the brakes on growth. My intuition is that Cooper is trying to thread the needle. I personally hope he is setting up to eventually "have to reluctantly" raise taxes. 

I do see the concern, myself included, but nothing as drastic as what Cooper is doing. I'm a firm believer in moderation and to go as far as not honoring deals that were already in place is overstepping. Simply explaining his actions would do wonders instead of "heh, look, I'm making people mad, that's why people voted for me!". 

1 hour ago, downtownresident said:

This is a very accurate statement. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ruraljuror said:

... these decisions have been made through the proper channels ...

That's the problem - those decisions were not made in accordance with the responsibility of city officials to do what is in the best interests of the tax-paying citizens of Nashville.  The council and mayor at the time intentionally and willfully agreed to a deal that represented a destruction of wealth in Davidson county.   That is contrary to their duty as public officials.  So I don't really buy the argument that just because one administration is derelict in their duties to the public, that another administration is bound to stand by that decision for the sake of "honor".  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Armacing said:

That's the problem - those decisions were not made in accordance with the responsibility of city officials to do what is in the best interests of the tax-paying citizens of Nashville.  The council and mayor at the time intentionally and willfully agreed to a deal that represented a destruction of wealth in Davidson county.   That is contrary to their duty as public officials.  So I don't really buy the argument that just because one administration is derelict in their duties to the public, that another administration is bound to stand by that decision for the sake of "honor".  

I think we all just have a different line on how far is too far. Of course I would hope everyone agrees that at some point it IS the DUTY of the incoming Mayor to clean up the terrible deals of the former administration. I think a lot of people on this board felt that what the Barry admin had done did not cross that line. Some do. 

6 minutes ago, Armacing said:

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the value of honor. The government needs to be trusted for it to be able to continue to grow. Cooper may not have agreed with the previous deal, but it was a deal that Nashville had approved and moved forward with. You can't just say "well, I didn't like that one, we're going to do something else" and not expect to lose the trust of not only companies wanting to come here, but also of it's own citizens. What I believe he should have done is agree to move forward with it, say that he doesn't agree with it but will honor what the city put forth. Then moving forward, make deals the way he sees fit. Now of course, I probably won't agree with those deals either, but I could at least respect him more and trust that what the city says is going to happen. Uncertainty spooks a lot of people. You start scaring businesses away, the only people to raise taxes on are those who stick around, i.e. the local residents. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Armacing said:

It's not about 'honor' it's about continuity and consistency and proving ourselves to be reliable negotiating partners.

As to the rest of your post...I'm not really sure what to tell you, man.  I happen to think the city officials did in fact do what was in the best interests of the tax-paying citizens of Nashville, which is why these differences of opinion/philosophy are best handled at the ballot box with the understanding that new elected officials don't renege on the deals made by previous administrations - otherwise our deals are meaningless and we won't find ourselves being offered many good ones going forward.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, titanhog said:

Maybe I missed it...but have they made a final decision on the state fair?  Will it still happen at the fairgrounds for the foreseeable future?  If so...where at the fairgrounds?  Or...have they officially moved on?

Last I remember the State Fair didn’t renew their contract . They said there wasn’t enough space at the Fairgrounds. 

• Thanks 1

My take from the outside looking in. Cooper managed to get a better financial deal (infrastructure money, etc.) but then tried for a bridge too far.  We spent weeks with him sowing confusion while he tried to get one main last concession, the retention of one small parcel for use by the speedway. The team, the league, and soccer fans pushed back, causing a fair amount of negative pressure on Cooper. In the end, he got a face-saving (for him) concession to use the parcel as a plaza, removed almost any doubt that he was really just carrying water for NASCAR the whole time, and did nothing to address the main complaint of small government proponents--the giving away of public land for private use.  And yet, folks are lauding his deal-making prowess. #LoweredExpectations.

• Like 3