Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

The first thing  I noticed about the jersey is that its an advertisement.  I suppose I'm being naïve but I expected to see "Nashville" or something similar across the front.  Seems like the thing to do in order to identify who is playing.  So I looked at the rest of the league jerseys and they all do it too.   Watching the "Renasant" team play "YouTube TV" just doesn't get the juices going .  I have no issue with sports teams selling naming rights to stadiums or running digital ads across their fencing or even wearing patches for sponsors the way professional tennis and golf do, but to plaster it across the jersey is a bit much.  

I have to say I like the blue ones better than the gold.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, shanky said:

The first thing  I noticed about the jersey is that its an advertisement.  I suppose I'm being naïve but I expected to see "Nashville" or something similar across the front.  Seems like the thing to do in order to identify who is playing.  So I looked at the rest of the league jerseys and they all do it too.   Watching the "Renasant" team play "YouTube TV" just doesn't get the juices going .  I have no issue with sports teams selling naming rights to stadiums or running digital ads across their fencing or even wearing patches for sponsors the way professional tennis and golf do, but to plaster it across the jersey is a bit much.  

I think if MLS continues to gain popularity and TV ratings, the jerseys will be more custom to what you see in other sports. 

I think that's just soccer in general.  With two kids in travel soccer, we see advertisements at all levels.  The Lobos out of Memphis have a Chevy logo on the front.  BHam has the Red Diamond (Coffee/Tea) logo.  Same with most clubs.  And obviously it's common for premier clubs around the globe.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, shanky said:

That's all of soccer worldwide. It even started with the massive historic European clubs so it has kind of become a normalized expectation of the sport for a long time.

• Like 2

Today this evening from News Channel 5.  
:shades:

Due to delays in construction and newly discovered issues with the old Fairgrounds buildings that have to be demolished, the MLS stadium that will house Nashville SC may not be complete in time for the 2022 Major League Soccer season.

The announcement was made Thursday during a Nashville Sports Authority meeting.

The stadium was initially set to open in time for the 2021 season, but was pushed back to a 2022 start date for Nashville SC in their new stadium.

After Mayor John Cooper held up the stadium deal while he continued negotiations with Nashville SC ownership, it has been revealed that the timeline has been pushed back further. 

Officials working on the stadium project also announced that asbestos had been found in the old Fairgrounds facilities, and that asbestos needs to be addressed prior to demolition. 

It's unclear if the stadium will be open for the 2022 season, but it appears unlikely. Those involved with the project said they are confident, however, that the stadium will be ready in 2022, it just may not be for the start of the season. 

Nashville SC is scheduled to play it's first two seasons at Nissan Stadium, after which it's unclear where they would play if their stadium is not complete.

No one at the Sports Authority meeting ruled out Nissan Stadium for a location if the stadium is not complete in time for the 2022 season, and they said they'd address that topic if it became necessary.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

13 hours ago, Sean blackdog said:

Today this evening from News Channel 5.  
:shades:

Due to delays in construction and newly discovered issues with the old Fairgrounds buildings that have to be demolished, the MLS stadium that will house Nashville SC may not be complete in time for the 2022 Major League Soccer season.

The announcement was made Thursday during a Nashville Sports Authority meeting.

The stadium was initially set to open in time for the 2021 season, but was pushed back to a 2022 start date for Nashville SC in their new stadium.

After Mayor John Cooper held up the stadium deal while he continued negotiations with Nashville SC ownership, it has been revealed that the timeline has been pushed back further. 

Officials working on the stadium project also announced that asbestos had been found in the old Fairgrounds facilities, and that asbestos needs to be addressed prior to demolition. 

It's unclear if the stadium will be open for the 2022 season, but it appears unlikely. Those involved with the project said they are confident, however, that the stadium will be ready in 2022, it just may not be for the start of the season. 

Nashville SC is scheduled to play it's first two seasons at Nissan Stadium, after which it's unclear where they would play if their stadium is not complete.

No one at the Sports Authority meeting ruled out Nissan Stadium for a location if the stadium is not complete in time for the 2022 season, and they said they'd address that topic if it became necessary.

I'm not surprised. Timeline was tight even without Cooper's delays. Plus SoF has shown they will file every legal motion known to man at every juncture.

3 hours ago, markhollin said:

The Nashville SC anthem:

https://smarturl.it/NashvilleSCAnthem

That has the makings of a phenomenal stadium anthem... if all the fans learn that and sing it together while the teams are marching onto the field... wow... it'll be like the MLS equivalent of "You'll Never Walk Alone"... which  Ian Ayre is quite familiar with!  It gives me the chills just thinking about it!

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

I love that song... "You'll Never Walk Alone".  To hear a whole stadium singing it is awesome. 

Agreed.  I got to see an exhibition match this past summer at University of Notre Dame football stadium between Liverpool and Borussia Dortmund which was attended by about 50,000 Liverpool fans... and I'm not even one of them and even I kind of teared up hearing it and being in the midst of all of those different people locking arms and singing in unison.   It's a very special tradition for sure.

Edited by BnaBreaker

7 hours ago, markhollin said:

The Nashville SC anthem:

https://smarturl.it/NashvilleSCAnthem

This is VERY exciting.  Judah Akers is a local (Cookeville) boy, and his parents are good friends of mine.  There's a lot of excitement around here for Nashville SC and a heck of a lot of pride in this local boy-made-good.  This song is an instant classic, and I can't wait to hear 30,000 soccer fans in Nashville sing this every home game.

• Like 2

On 2/21/2020 at 10:44 PM, titanhog said:

Too bad those fairgrounds buildings have asbestos.  If not for that, NSC should have bulldozed that place overnight on the day the mayor agreed to demolition.  That's what a developer would have done elsewhere...even to a historic property.

Maybe not overnight (developer with shady practices do that, a la kid rocks bar), but immediately after being granted permission.

That being said, does the presence of asbestos really surprise anyone on this board?? I would’ve thought the city/ownership would’ve had a remediation period built onto their timelines of for nothing else as a contingency factor. I know the schedule for the project was tight, but not even attempting to account for it is irresponsible.  
With the age of these buildings, it wouldn’t shock me if every panel of the shed roofs are asbestos roof panelsand if there is any form of insulation in the conditioned buildings it probably all vermiculite and has to be remediated. This project is a bit more unique than others, but this type of investigation is typically done very early in the process, so this is either a failure on the city’s (Barry/Briley) or the ownership group for not investigating properly. I tend to lean toward the governments fault because it is their building and technically they aren’t selling the land. 

14 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

That is a super intriguing question, maybe? But I have to think the possibility of that is pretty small. 

2 hours ago, henburg said:

I'd guess the chance of an expansion is pretty low considering our current design still has the highest capacity for a soccer-specific stadium in the league with 30,000 seats while most comparable ones only hold 15,000-20,000. It will be impressive in that sense.

Less than 1% chance. The changes that would have to occur from a design standpoint would probably delay the project at least 3-6 months (IMO). By making the structure bigger it would impact all design trades, increase the construction cost even more and god knows how many other dominos. Architecturally the look could probably be the same, but structural implications would ripple from the foundations all the way up. 

Speaking of costs and timeline. Has there been any indication on timeline on construction of the 10-acre development? I am presuming it will be after the stadium is complete, but with the cost overruns of the stadium already rearing its ugly head is there anything in the lease agreements would stop the development team from pausing construction on the 10-acres until they get some revenue coming out of the stadium??

• Like 1