Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

1 hour ago, nashvylle said:

I believe that’s in Portland. I believe our next home game is March 21 against Columbus, whom I expect will bring some fans too. 

Whoops...keep forgetting everything mimics international style, e.g. home v away at home and vice versa away.  Quick glance failed me....too bad we couldn't have mimicked to FC rather than SC.

Just climb that table!

1 hour ago, e-dub said:

I'm the only person I know that's good with SC. It's a bit of an American touch, I'm okay with that.

I'm fine with the SC too.  Some of these MLS names are just trying way too hard.  Like, "Real Salt Lake?"  Oh really... your team is based out of Spain is it?  It's just a bit cringey... we call it soccer here, so call it a soccer club, not El Sporting Club Real Internazionale de Futbol Nashville FC United, 'because Europe.'

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I don't pretend to know much about the professional sport of soccer, but enjoyed watching the game last night with my son. He likes Atlanta. So I decided to support Nashville. Speaking of 'trying too hard' for a team's name, I asked my son this, but he didn't know the answer: Some know that Manchester United was so named because its owners (previous owners of other FC clubs) came together to own the one team over a hundred years ago. So why did other teams, especially new teams like Atlanta name themselves United? Was there something to UNITE?  Or is it just copycat b/c it sounds 'cool' to certain self-styled aficionados who suddenly owned an expansion team? 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

I don't pretend to know much about the professional sport of soccer, but enjoyed watching the game last night with my son. He likes Atlanta. So I decided to support Nashville. Speaking of 'trying too hard' for a team's name, I asked my son this, but he didn't know the answer: Some know that Manchester United was so named because its owners (previous owners of other FC clubs) came together to own the one team over a hundred years ago. So why did other teams, especially new teams like Atlanta name themselves United? Was there something to UNITE?  Or is it just copycat b/c it sounds 'cool' to certain self-styled aficionados who suddenly owned an expansion team? 

You hit the nail on the head.  There is no actual purpose to the word "United" in the case of clubs like Atlanta United and DC United.  It's simply because Manchester United is one of the more popular international clubs in The United States, so various MLS teams wanted to be associated with that popularity by their fans, I guess.  

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, volsfanwill said:

The next home game is the 21st at 1. There is a preds home game at 7. I bet a lot of preds fans that went to the soccer game on Saturday will be at both on the 21st! I saw preds gear everywhere. 

We plan to be.  I still have a lot of questions about how the game is played but we had a great time on Saturday. The wife asked about season tickets 10 minutes into the game. 

We will definitely be back to several this year. Starting with the 21st!

I think the 21st has a chance to have a big crowd. The only day game of the season (which I thought was kind of BS) so big opportunity for families and several weeks to sell tickets. Where the challenge will come is that is the first of four straight home games, so keeping momentum and attendance up during that run.