Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

17 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

Ooo, if that gets updated regularly, it would be nice to have that pinned somewhere in the thread to check each week.

These guys keep up with it pretty well on a yearly basis, if you can overlook the static.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/mls-2020-attendance-thread.2108711/

It's interesting to see what NSC's expectations are for the rest of the season. Here is the baseline seating chart for future games:

Capture.thumb.PNG.fe7c89c3c4f8d8712a2871822dfd04e6.PNG

As you can see it's restricted to the lower level and club level outside of the corners (not that there's anything stopping them from opening sections as needed). Assuming I can do math the white sections as shown are about 30,000 seats (24,000 in the lower level and 6,000 in the club level). This would be the sixth-largest MLS stadium in terms of restricted capacity, just like the new stadium. (It's the third-largest in terms of absolute capacity; predictably, the NFL stadiums are the four biggest in MLS.)

Theoretically, NSC has the seating capacity at Nissan Stadium to lead the league in attendance. Setting aside the empty sections in the east upper level, they also had the west corners of the club level tarped off on Saturday, so it seems there is a ceiling to the number of seats that will be opened regardless of demand. It will be interesting to see if they tarp others for "normal" games.

The attendance this year will show whether or not a new stadium is a prudent decision. If NSC can regularly draw 30,000 fans to a 20-year-old bare-bones stadium with no roof, then it seems Metro would be better off using $300 million in bonding capacity on upgrades to Nissan Stadium, including a partial roof over the towers (think CenturyLink Field), having both the Titans and NSC help to retire the bonds and giving Ingram a path to buying into the stadium's revenue. That would give NSC the new stadium bump in a prime location and the extra capacity for marquee matches, while also satisfying the Titans' long-term stadium needs and making the venue more attractive for other events. One nice big renovated stadium is better than one generic-brand old stadium and one brand-new small one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PruneTracy said:

These guys keep up with it pretty well on a yearly basis, if you can overlook the static.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/mls-2020-attendance-thread.2108711/

It's interesting to see what NSC's expectations are for the rest of the season. Here is the baseline seating chart for future games:

Capture.thumb.PNG.fe7c89c3c4f8d8712a2871822dfd04e6.PNG

As you can see it's restricted to the lower level and club level outside of the corners (not that there's anything stopping them from opening sections as needed). Assuming I can do math the white sections as shown are about 30,000 seats (24,000 in the lower level and 6,000 in the club level). This would be the sixth-largest MLS stadium in terms of restricted capacity, just like the new stadium. (It's the third-largest in terms of absolute capacity; predictably, the NFL stadiums are the four biggest in MLS.)

Theoretically, NSC has the seating capacity at Nissan Stadium to lead the league in attendance. Setting aside the empty sections in the east upper level, they also had the west corners of the club level tarped off on Saturday, so it seems there is a ceiling to the number of seats that will be opened regardless of demand. It will be interesting to see if they tarp others for "normal" games.

The attendance this year will show whether or not a new stadium is a prudent decision. If NSC can regularly draw 30,000 fans to a 20-year-old bare-bones stadium with no roof, then it seems Metro would be better off using $300 million in bonding capacity on upgrades to Nissan Stadium, including a partial roof over the towers (think CenturyLink Field), having both the Titans and NSC help to retire the bonds and giving Ingram a path to buying into the stadium's revenue. That would give NSC the new stadium bump in a prime location and the extra capacity for marquee matches, while also satisfying the Titans' long-term stadium needs and making the venue more attractive for other events. One nice big renovated stadium is better than one generic-brand old stadium and one brand-new small one.

It isn't going to happen for a myriad of reasons. Also Nissan is fine, but soccer specific stadiums are so much better for spectators, seats are built practically vertical on top of the field. 

Also no way NSC can theoretically lead the league with the attendance Atlanta pulls at Mercedes-Benz. The reason it works there is Arthur Blank owns both teams so one isn't a sub-tenant to the other.

7 minutes ago, henburg said:

20200305%20NGUOY-1%20copy.jpg?itok=-MZ7U

https://www.nashvillesc.com/post/2020/03/07/nashville-sc-and-portland-timbers-sport-never-give-you-patch

The team is also set sport these patches on their jersey in their away match against Portland this weekend. The Timbers are also offering tickets that donate funds directly to the Middle Tennessee Emergency Response Fund in a cool gesture of unity. All in all, it's a cool response by the team.

Wow... that is a super impressive and classy move by the Timbers organization.  Respect to them.

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Tennessine said:

I've been watching the game this evening on ESPN. It's very enjoyable! 

Nashville SC has taken lots of shots on goal, but no cigar; the game is about to end and Portland leads 1-0.

Nashville was the clear better team throughout the game by pretty much every metric... except the one that ultimately matters of course haha... all in all not a bad start for an expansion team.  Expansion teams are generally supposed to be pretty bad, but in our first game we were one flukey goal away from drawing a tie against the 2018 champion Atlanta FC, and then in our first road game we had all the chances in the world to come away with at least a tie against Atlanta FC's opponent in that 2018 Cup Final.  So... when you consider the big picture, I think the future looks bright for this club.  

• Like 4

I will add my two cents here as I do have some knowledge of the game. The Nashville players are too tentative in their shots. First of all you will miss 100% of all shots you do not take, and when you get a chance, rip it! Whoever was playing wing on the right was hesitant on every ball he played in.  Ok, just Get better and keep working hard.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Tennessine said:

I've been watching the game this evening on ESPN. It's very enjoyable! 

Nashville SC has taken lots of shots on goal, but no cigar; the game is about to end and Portland leads 1-0.

Very enjoyable, but also 1-0.

How is that possible haha.

Nashville outplayed Portland almost the whole game. Should have atleast gotten a point. Need someone to be a better finisher at he goal and I assume at some point another striker signee is likely. I thought Dax and Muhktar played really well. Leal was a disappointment.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Nashville was the clear better team throughout the game by pretty much every metric... except the one that ultimately matters of course haha... all in all not a bad start for an expansion team.  Expansion teams are generally supposed to be pretty bad, but in our first game we were one flukey goal away from drawing a tie against the 2018 champion Atlanta FC, and then in our first road game we had all the chances in the world to come away with at least a tie against Atlanta FC's opponent in that 2018 Cup Final.  So... when you consider the big picture, I think the future looks bright for this club.  

I'd like to have Rios in as the starter as the striker, and Beckles over Miller on defense. We really are close to having two ties this season and zero losses. 

13 minutes ago, DDIG said:

Nashville outplayed Portland almost the whole game. Should have atleast gotten a point. Need someone to be a better finisher at he goal and I assume at some point another striker signee is likely. I thought Dax and Muhktar played really well. Leal was a disappointment.

Leal has had our best chances this season. That shot off the post against Atlanta United was a great move and so close. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

I'd like to have Rios in as the starter as the striker, and Beckles over Miller on defense. We really are close to having two ties this season and zero losses. 

Leal has had our best chances this season. That shot off the post against Atlanta United was a great move and so close. 

Yeah but he blew a tremendous opportunity against Portland. Beautiful set up and he didn't even put the ball on goal. He had several other bad balls. Not his best day.

Also our set pieces need work - especially corners. We had a ton of corners and very few were even close.

Edited by DDIG

1 minute ago, DDIG said:

Yeah but he blew a tremendous opportunity against Portland. Beautiful set up and he didn't even put the ball on goal. He had several other bad balls. Not his best day.

Also our set pieces need work - especially corners. We had a ton of corners and very few were event close.

the corners were awfulllll