Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

I know a lot of us aren’t totally blown away by the Nashville SC logo (it’s not bad…but maybe not the best design they could have come up with.).  Anyway…I was doing a Google search and saw a bunch of other Nashville SC logos out there (I’m sure some were maybe minor league logos…and some where just “fan-made?”).  Not sure where they all came from…but I’m posting a few so you can see.

nashville_sc_logo_concept.png

y5xp5ttsjyh21.jpg

logorendition_4x.png

nsc-logo_4x.jpg

thumb2-nashville-sc-new-logo-american-football-club-metal-emblem-yellow-blue-metal-mesh-background-nashville-sc.jpg

thumb2-nashville-sc-new-logo-blue-and-yellow-silk-flag-mls-nashville-sc-new-emblem-silk-texture.jpg

wp8847520.jpg

thumb2-nashville-sc-american-football-club-mls-yellow-carbon-background-nashville-sc-new-logo.jpg

f14100c2-58fd-4f6d-a509-249e078c574c.f1362240c93bc28401e4de5d2b0d150b.jpeg

EARcrEbXoAAGLx6.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I watched that game and man... Toronto's goalie made several incredible saves. We could have won that game 6-2. We were definitely at risk of losing after their late second goal, but the rookies stepped up! Such a thrilling game to watch. Let's beat Montreal Saturday!

@titanhog I also can't stand the octagon, but like the waves. If you take out the octagon, I'm good. Just make the logo outline a circle and make it a disk or record. 

Also with the stadium's proximity to Fort Negley, I thought it'd be cool if our team name was "Defending NashvilleSC". Adds a little uniqueness and promotes history of Fort Negley. 

Edited by nashvylle
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, nashvylle said:

I watched that game and man... Toronto's goalie made several incredible saves. We could have won that game 6-2. We were definitely at risk of losing after their late second goal, but the rookies stepped up! Such a thrilling game to watch. Let's beat Montreal Saturday!

@titanhog I also can't stand the octagon, but like the waves. If you take out the octagon, I'm good. Just make the logo outline a circle and make it a disk or record. 

Also with the stadium's proximity to Fort Negley, I thought it'd be cool if our team name was "Defending NashvilleSC". Adds a little uniqueness and promotes history of Fort Negley. 

Huge win. I thought the crowd was awesome for a Wednesday night.

I think the new stadium is going to be a hot ticket.

• Like 4

@titanhog aside from the larger guitar pick shape one I think I like all of those better than the one the organization selected... it just looks so amateurish overall... I can definitely get on board with the 'sound waves' concept they were going for, I just think it's poorly done.  Ah well. 

7 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

@titanhog aside from the larger guitar pick shape one I think I like all of those better than the one the organization selected... it just looks so amateurish overall... I can definitely get on board with the 'sound waves' concept they were going for, I just think it's poorly done.  Ah well. 

The logo doesn’t make a lot of sense, to me, until I see it in those few depictions where it looks like it’s made of metal…like a speaker cover to an old radio.  THEN I get it.  But the fact you have to make it look that way for someone to “get it” means they’ve kinda missed it.

wp8847520.thumb.jpg.3f1fd6b7e1b5afd61a937bc0834f43da.jpg

Edited by titanhog
  • Like 2

As a designer, it's incredibly hard to please everyone all the time. I'm glad they stuck to their guns and stayed with the logo instead of changing it, set's a good precedent. 

It will evolve over time as the brand and team does, and as it should. It definitely stands out from the crowd though.

The New England Revolution one is STRAIGHT out of the 90s, it's so old now it's new again haha.

MLS_Crests.png

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

It will evolve over time as the brand and team does, and as it should. It definitely stands out from the crowd though.

If it evolves to losing the octagon, then that is a good evolution then. The new training grounds don't have the octagon, and it looks great. 

Standing out can be a good or bad thing, and with the octagon, it's not in a good way, IMO. 

Honestly, I am a little jealous of the Nashville Super Speedway logo. Just change the second "S" to a "C" and I'd love it. 

image.png.e90b9725450eae57fc87e7b3d1db1f7e.png

image.png.cc9cfa924536d7a97a47a074b5a9af8b.png

Edited by nashvylle
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

As a designer, it's incredibly hard to please everyone all the time. I'm glad they stuck to their guns and stayed with the logo instead of changing it, set's a good precedent. 

The New England Revolution one is STRAIGHT out of the 90s, it's so old now it's new again haha.

MLS_Crests.png

I wasn't initially a huge fan of our crest, but new/unique can often be a little off-putting for me at least. It's really grown on me since it was initially unveiled, and now I think it's one of my top favorite crests among the whole league alongside Austin and Chicago. 

I think most of these crests range between fine and pretty good with the main exception being New England which looks like it belongs in a time capsule, but I'm curious for those of you who don't like our crest, which of these might you prefer?

I could see being into the Montreal crest if we were going to go the more abstract route. 

I think DC, Dallas, Seattle, and both LA clubs all have a nice comic book effect that doesn't push it too far into the cartoonish end of the spectrum.

New York FC, Houston, Cincinnati, and Toronto all created solid, classic sports/baseball emblems that work well I think.

I like Portland and Salt Lake for their creative simplicity and I like Miami and Philly for their aesthetics and simplicity. 

At the end of the day I think I was mostly just put off by our color scheme when initially evaluating the Nashville SC logo, which is slightly too abrasive of a yellow for my taste and with a blue hue that hews a little too close to purple, as well. All in all, though, I think we did really well in the logo department, especially with the sound waves/negative space N as others have noted, but even the vintage mic shape works better in my opinion the more used to it I get and I hope some of y'all experience a similar evolution. 

Edited by ruraljuror
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, ruraljuror said:

I wasn't initially a huge fan of our crest, but new/unique can often be a little off-putting for me at least. It's really grown on me since it was initially unveiled, and now I think it's one of my top favorite crests among the whole league alongside Austin and Chicago. 

I think most of these crests range between fine and pretty good with the main exception being New England which looks like it belongs in a time capsule, but I'm curious for those of you who don't like our crest, which of these might you prefer?

I could see being into the Montreal crest if we were going to go the more abstract route. 

I think DC, Dallas, Seattle, and both LA clubs all have a nice comic book effect that doesn't push it too far into the cartoonish end of the spectrum.

Cincinnati, Houston, and Toronto all created solid, classic sports/baseball emblems that work well I think.

I like Portland and Salt Lake for their creative simplicity and I like Miami and Philly for their aesthetics and simplicity. 

At the end of the day I think I was mostly just put off by our color scheme when initially evaluating the Nashville SC logo, which is slightly too abrasive of a yellow for my taste and with a blue hue that hews a little too close to purple, as well. All in all, though, I think we did really well in the logo department, especially with the sound waves/negative space N as others have noted, but even the vintage mic shape works better in my opinion the more used to it I get and I hope some of y'all experience a similar evolution. 

Agree 100%. I immediately recognized the microphone shape and the sound waves, the very first second I saw the crest.

It says Music City, without saying it!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, LA_TN said:

Agree 100%. I immediately recognized the microphone shape and the sound waves, the very first second I saw the crest.

It says Music City, without saying it!

Exactly.  A crest without borders just looks like New England's dated design, and our crest took the difficulty that comes with deciding upon the shape of the crest (which was clearly a challenge for all the other clubs that didn't just go with the simple circle, as well) and creatively turned it into a unique advantage that's in line with our city identity/branding. 

And nothing is going to stop the NSC merch department from putting the soundwaves N inside a circle patch and sticking it on hats and t-shirts at some point in the future anyway (if they're not doing it already), but no other club will ever be able to use an oblong octagon without immediately and forever being known as imitators. That's quality design work, in my opinion. 

Edited by ruraljuror
  • Like 2

I agree, Nashville SC's logo doesn't feature the most elegant execution, but I still prefer it to many of the more on-the-nose concepts that I see.  As previous posters have already said, the sound waves are a great symbol to represent all of Nashville's music, not just country. I also think that the logo has a very industrial vibe that does a really good job of representing the personality of many Nashville SC fans and the Fairgrounds that the team will soon call home. Outside of these local connections, the shape is unique and stands out (in a good way) among the rest of the MLS that seems limited to circles.

The team's identity has continually grown on me more and more, to the point now where I enjoy it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

If they wanted to update it, they should have just refined what they currently had.

I've said it before on here but I'm in favor of keeping the old-school name/logo motifs in American soccer (namely, use of nicknames and SC instead of FC). You're not fooling anyone by naming your team (not club or side and yes, when you refer to it it's plural) City Real Inter United FC, so you may as well own it!

This is highlighted by MLS releasing pre-match jerseys (not strips or kits) based on the Team USA uniforms from the 90s, they know that you know you want this aesthetic back:

ff_3895345-955806c622fc3878dee2alt2_full

Less Austin FC and more Tampa Bay Rowdies.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ruraljuror said:

New York FC, Houston, Cincinnati, and Toronto all created solid, classic sports/baseball emblems that work well I think.

That's fair... relative to most MLS logos I think it's actually pretty decent.  I think part of the reason I'm not as into it as I probably would be otherwise is that in my opinion, the old logo for the NASL franchise was on of the finest in all of American sports for the brief moment it existed:

nashville-sc.jpg

• Like 2

To me…the clean look with a yellow background and blue writing doesn’t quite work.  Blue background and yellow writing is a little better.  But…overall, the logo doesn’t make sense until it’s 3-dimensional like a speaker cover…then it looks cool.  Or…at least, distress it a little or something.  Right now, it just looks too clean and uninteresting.  At least some of the logos have that “Football Club” look of the European teams…which may be “old style”…but at least it’s consistent.  Ours looks “anti-European”…which is of course, ok…but kinda sticks out as “what??”  If they just make it a bit more obvious what the logo stands for…I’d like it better.

EARcrEbXoAAGLx6.thumb.jpg.1d69b09e36fcca12aef82e4172fa96f0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm OK with the design but I wish they had used the darker gold color a la the Predators instead of yellow.  I think the Pred's color combination is probably the best in pro sports.

I also wish they would call themselves Metropolitan Nashville SC to pay homage to the city's groundbreaking form of government.  And no their nickname wouldn't be the Metros-it could be the Mets instead-like the NY Mets.

Just sayin'.

• Like 1