Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

I'm curious to know if anyone has heard of an update on parking at the new stadium. I spoke with someone with the team on Saturday, and they said they'd let people know "soon". Whether that's tomorrow, or 6 months from now, who knows, but I didn't know if anyone in here has heard anything.

The matches are drawing 20k+ for the most part, and combine that with the novelty of the new stadium, it could become a flustercluck real quick.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

Just further reinforces that the city leadership was not considering a protected entity during their closed door negotiations

I actually think I read that SMI wants to have the added stands where they are currently proposed, as fans pay a lot of money and prefer to watch the cars do that "first turn". 

15 hours ago, Predsboy18 said:

I'm curious to know if anyone has heard of an update on parking at the new stadium. I spoke with someone with the team on Saturday, and they said they'd let people know "soon". Whether that's tomorrow, or 6 months from now, who knows, but I didn't know if anyone in here has heard anything.

The matches are drawing 20k+ for the most part, and combine that with the novelty of the new stadium, it could become a flustercluck real quick.

I plan on taking an uber to a location nearby and walking a good bit, or parking along Craighead Street which a lot of people did for the race this past weekend (Bos2Nash uploaded the video on another thread).

However, here are some parking spaces available now that can / may offer parking next year before a master plan is developed. The privately owned parking spaces (coca-cola, Weld, O'Reilly) would have to be open to allowing parking on game days and making $ off of it. Since games are usually on Saturdays, it is possible. 

image.png.c4f493335942b61853fae22481d44758.pngimage.png.dbceb610a3e26e5e5520f10b41161dc5.pngimage.png.c668eccee3c0c9bb7797859e4a5fc1c0.pngimage.png.342e265b34d6659459af612de10cb7d1.png

• Like 3

4 hours ago, nashvylle said:

I actually think I read that SMI wants to have the added stands where they are currently proposed, as fans pay a lot of money and prefer to watch the cars do that "first turn". 

Oh it is absolutely preferred to have seats in Turn 1, just sucks that the track is just very constrained. There is zero space for hospitality areas (including a fan zone that have vendors and merchandise) directly adjacent to the grandstands entrance. One of the factors that made the Superspeedway events so successful was the free movement between the grandstands and the Fan Zone (and other hospitality). Unless there would be a plan to shut down the Benton Ave extension  just after the entrance to Block B (see red tick marks below) and utilize that stretch of road for the fan zone. The Expo Center could also be utilized, but it is a decent walk from there up the hill to a grandstands entrance.

I understand that we are really only talking about 1 Nascar weekend a year, so this area isn't as necessary, but  even the local track events that are successful attract vendors for fans to enjoy during the events.

image.thumb.png.2953201eaabd9ee59e22bfa6333f5b9b.png

The other option could be to utilize the space between Block C and the Soccer Stadium. It just sucks that the racetrack doesn't really have a space for fan hospitality and reinforces that the city wasn't considering the racetrack enough when planning the stadium. I can also just see residents in Block C complaining about "all the rednecks" around their building on race days.

image.thumb.png.f8ab5ac7dbfb7290127e300314f5e279.png

1 hour ago, Melrose said:

Weren't there rumblings that Vanderbilt eventually plans to build a large parking garage on their parking lot space on Chestnut Street?  If they did, that could be very helpful (with shuttle service of course) for evening and weekend Fairground event parking.  

You referring to this area? A garage structure would certainly help with events and could also be a big benefit to Fort Negley.

image.thumb.png.9b55380b61b864759434666e593814a8.png

• Like 2

19 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

And really, if a few balls had bounced our way in some of those draws we'd be number one in the East by a mile.  Still only a single loss all season!  Astounding!

In any case, SC is absolutely rolling right now... that Mukhtar - Sapong - Leal trio up front is LETHAL!

And just consider that one of them is gonna have to drop to make way for Ake Loba.

I don't think it's gonna be CJ or Hani.

16 hours ago, dmillsphoto said:

And just consider that one of them is gonna have to drop to make way for Ake Loba.

Extending Jhonder at July 1st deadline surprised me.  Is Rios the odd man out?  Hani isn't long for this market...he's having a year!

1 hour ago, TheRaglander said:

Are there any international soccer nuts that can help me understand how the CONCACAF and Olympics can be going on at the same time?  I notice Mexico has a team in both.  Just different players, I guess?

I'm not an international soccer nut but I think the men's teams at the Olympics are all U23 squads.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheRaglander said:

Are there any international soccer nuts that can help me understand how the CONCACAF and Olympics can be going on at the same time?  I notice Mexico has a team in both.  Just different players, I guess?

Covid  had delayed the Olympic and  that's why the two tournament coincided in 2021. That said, the countries that qualify for the Olympics (12 nations) are only allowed to send their under 23 players plus 3 senior players.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, dmillsphoto said:

Mukhtar plays as 10 and  Ake Loba won't be playing in that position. Ake will most likely be competing with the target man, Sapong for that 9 position.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, AF-Nash said:

Mukhtar plays as 10 and  Ake Loba won't be playing in that position. Ake will most likely be competing with the target man, Sapong for that 9 position.

Agreed, plus although CJ has been playing excellent soccer lately, he will be 33 by the end of the year, so Ake is probably seen as the #9 beyond this season I would imagine.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, AF-Nash said:

Mukhtar keeps playing this way, someone in Europe may come along and buy him. 

Sapong has been awesome, but as someone else mentioned he's getting older. But would be awesome to get another year or two from him close to this level. Looks like they've almost given up on Cadiz.

Edited by DDIG
  • Like 2

^The guy is a quality and with that hat- trick against the Chicago fire (the fastest hat-trick in MLS history) in his bag, he could go anywhere and would kill it. We need him here now and winning us the league will only further his career. I know he played in Europe in the past, with Hertha, Benfica, and in the Danish Superliga where he flourished, but you never know he may go back there again while he's on his prime.

2 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Does NashvilleSC ownership have final say on whether they keep Mukhtar or not, or can a Euro team buy out a contract and we have no choice

Owners have the say while the player is still under contract, but a player can also request a transfer if other teams are interested in him. Transfers are always tricky business. MLS teams will sell a quality player if the money is right and specially if the call is from  Euro clubs. Almiron is a good case of that. He was killing it in Atlanta and after winning the league, the big clubs in Europe  came in for him. He settled with Newcastle United( they guaranteed him to be in the starting 11) though there were interests from the likes of Arsenal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AF-Nash said:

Owners have the say while the player is still under contract, but a player can also request a transfer if other teams are interested in him. Transfers are always tricky business. MLS teams will sell a quality player if the money is right and specially if the call is from  Euro clubs. Almiron is a good case of that. He was killing it in Atlanta and after winning the league, the big clubs in Europe  came in for him. He settled with Newcastle United( they guaranteed him to be in the starting 11) though there were interests from the likes of Arsenal.

Thanks. From what you said, it sounds like NashvilleSC ultimately has the final say on trading a player while he is under contract, yes?

1 minute ago, AF-Nash said:

This. But yeah if someone big has the money and Mukhtar wants to go (which I'd bet he'd want to - nothing personal against Nashville, Europe is Europe) he'll be gone.

• Like 3