Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

While I may be in the minority, I like the look and design of the proposed stadium. While I would prefer a downtown location, I can see the potential for the fairgrounds site working. And let's be real,if the fair leaves is that really a great loss? I also know that all the flash items and components just add to the overall cost of the project while not really enhancing the game experience itself. I am sure this was only the first iteration of the stadium. 

• Like 4

The only way this is a good location is for infrastructure to keep improving in WeHo all the way to 440.  If that happens (and I suspect it will)...the fairgrounds will be an ok location.  The major issues I have with that area is that the RR tracks...I-40...and Fort Negley kinda block any smooth flow to downtown.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

So, in the end, this will be:

Half as "cool" looking

Cost twice as much

And be really far from downtown

Cost twice as much as what?  I thought one of the reasons to put it at the fairgrounds was the lower cost (the city already owns the land).

• Like 2

As far as the Vandy stadium numbers go, I guess I was thinking of the concerts that were there.

As far as the traffic, what is the difference between the numbers at a soccer game and the State Fair. The only difference is everyone will be arriving and leaving at the same tie which could be problematic.

Did anyone notice if there was structured parking with the project. If not, another problem for the site.

8 hours ago, titanhog said:

The only way this is a good location is for infrastructure to keep improving in WeHo all the way to 440.  If that happens (and I suspect it will)...the fairgrounds will be an ok location.  The major issues I have with that area is that the RR tracks...I-40...and Fort Negley kinda block any smooth flow to downtown.

The infrastructure definitely needs to improve. Wedgewood dead ends here. Connect it to Fesslers and continue it into East Nashville which was talked about years ago. This and other improvements would improve traffic flow in this area.

Sport's Illustrated is already out with the news.....

Interesting quote; 

Regarding the design, Ingram half apologized for not having designed it to look like a guitar. He added, “I would say our hope has been to try to emphasize function over form. Not that we don’t want to have a pretty stadium—[we'd like] something that would hopefully be aesthetically pleasing—but not something that looks like it was dropped from outer space.”

Rather, he said, he envisioned a stadium that was “architecturally consistent” with structures found around the rest of the city.

• Like 4

That mentality is part of why Nashville continues to get the bland and boxy. I've been travelling to Cincinnati a lot lately and each time I go I am struck by the sleek appearance of that city's waterfront. The diversity of styles, from the "industrial" look of Paul Brown Stadium (designed 20 years ago!!) and Great American BP, a park that reflects its city's culture but not in a tacky way... added to that the various structures added over the past 20 years. Their park space is just great, with chimes, sculptures and fountains and the collection of smaller, interlinked plazas is so inviting. On approach from the KY side, it all makes for an interesting skyline view. Each time, I cannot help thinking of the conservative sameness of Nashville's downtown. Things like this stadium design, the plain Nissan Stadium, and the proposed courthouse, the trolley barn proposal, and too many new buildings around SoBro like the Hyatt, Hampton, Encore, 222, Westin and even the Omni. I also think N'ville's riverfront is a huge mess. IMHO!! It can do much much better.

Oh... and Stix! 

• Like 4

From Nashville Post:

It's worth noting that Ingram and MLS2Nashville bid leader Will Alexander weren't alone in making their presentation.

But there was third prominent stadium supporter on the dais: Vanderbilt vice chancellor for athletics David Williams. The presence of a member of the administration raised the real possibility of the university’s participation in a new stadium and potentially moving the football team’s home games there.

http://www.nashvillepost.com/sports/sports-business/blog/20972554/ingram-presents-soccer-stadium-plan-to-metro-council-committee

• Like 1

^ Cincinnati is a really cool town. Considering their size there's a crazy amount of things to do. I think part of the reason downtown Cincinnati is so cool is that the city peaked in the first half of the 20th century, when things like street setbacks and plazas were highly valued by city planners and developers. Like Rockefeller center in NYC. 

1 minute ago, markhollin said:

From Nashville Post:

It's worth noting that Ingram and MLS2Nashville bid leader Will Alexander weren't alone in making their presentation.

But there was third prominent stadium supporter on the dais: Vanderbilt vice chancellor for athletics David Williams. The presence of a member of the administration raised the real possibility of the university’s participation in a new stadium and potentially moving the football team’s home games there.

http://www.nashvillepost.com/sports/sports-business/blog/20972554/ingram-presents-soccer-stadium-plan-to-metro-council-committee

I love the idea of MLS and Vanderbilt sharing a stadium, especially if it were built somewhere in West End closer to their campus. However, the proposed Fairgrounds location would be a mistake for both parties I think. I've already stated why I think it would be a mistake for Nashville MLS, but for Vanderbilt specifically moving games off campus doesn't seem that it would be the smartest thing for a football team with perennial struggles and low attendance. Do they think that students and alumni who haven't been going to games right on campus will now start commuting to them? It just seems unlikely to me. 

• Like 1

NBJ's take on the new stadium:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2017/08/15/heres-what-nashvilles-mls-stadium-would-look-like.html

Some additional renderings from their slideshow:

Some high-end seats with full dining/bar service would be in these corner seats:

Screen Shot 2017-08-15 at 8.45.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-15 at 8.46.31 AM.png

A map showing how the Nashville franchise would fit on the MLS landscape and the area they feel fans would be drawn from:

Screen Shot 2017-08-15 at 8.47.04 AM.png

• Like 3

For everyone that does not want The Fairgrounds site, are there other locations of metro owned land that could be given to Nashville SC? 

I want a downtown stadium too, but I'd rather have an MLS team at The Fairgrounds over a lower chance of getting an MLS team just to have them downtown. 

John Ingram stressed these design are preliminary, also.

The thing that makes me most mad is how small our downtown looks in the renderings! Can't they add JW, Embassy Curio, Hyatt Regency, Endeavor!!

Edited by nashvylle
  • Like 2

Greer stadium site

Just now, nashvylle said:

For everyone that does not want The Fairgrounds site, are there other locations of metro owned land that could be given to Nashville SC? 

I want a downtown stadium too, but I'd rather have an MLS team at The Fairgrounds over a lower chance of getting an MLS team just to have them downtown. 

John Ingram stressed these design are preliminary, also.

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

That mentality is part of why Nashville continues to get the bland and boxy. I've been travelling to Cincinnati a lot lately and each time I go I am struck by the sleek appearance of that city's waterfront. The diversity of styles, from the "industrial" look of Paul Brown Stadium (designed 20 years ago!!) and Great American BP, a park that reflects its city's culture but not in a tacky way... added to that the various structures added over the past 20 years. Their park space is just great, with chimes, sculptures and fountains and the collection of smaller, interlinked plazas is so inviting. On approach from the KY side, it all makes for an interesting skyline view. Each time, I cannot help thinking of the conservative sameness of Nashville's downtown. Things like this stadium design, the plain Nissan Stadium, and the proposed courthouse, the trolley barn proposal, and too many new buildings around SoBro like the Hyatt, Hampton, Encore, 222, Westin and even the Omni. I also think N'ville's riverfront is a huge mess. IMHO!! It can do much much better

Well maybe we need to take up a collection to build a half billion to a billion dollar soccer stadium. Somebody has to pay for this and from what I understand so far these fools want taxpayers to do it. MLSs popularity is behind the NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL. The people who want MLS ought to be glad there is even a stadium put forth and that there aren't enough fiscally concerned citizens to force a referendum. The Tennessee Titans are about eleven years or less from wanting a brand new stadium and are probably going to want a billion dollar palace at taxpayer expense. Neither should get taxpayer money but if the city has to make a choice then the NFL is far more valuable to the city than "major league soccer". 

Since you brought up Cincinnati, they are hesitant about getting fleeced for yet another stadium. I wish what you said about Cincinnati looking better than Nashville was true. Maybe people would be moving there in droves instead of Nashville.

Edited by Ingram
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, nashville_bound said:

Greer stadium site

Yeah...I would take Greer over the Fairgrounds...but we still have a bit of an infrastructure issue, similar to the Fairgrounds.  At least with the Fairgrounds, you have 440 close by.  But neither are ideal.  If we can't have a stadium on the east bank near Nissan Stadium...I wish there was an option on West End...but I don't see anything large enough for this.  I wish they could build it where the TA truck stop is on the east bank...but I'm sure the cost of that land + stadium construction cost makes the Fairgrounds look appealing to them.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rockatansky said:

I'd prefer the stadium were downtown, but the fairgrounds are acceptable. I'm OK with Metro donating land for the stadium to be built on, but would prefer they not finance the stadium itself. Let the elites backing the bid pay for it.

Agree. Fairgrounds could work long term if they include a transit stop there and improve infrastructure (continue Wedgewood on to Fesslers, etc)

This area is developing quickly so there will likely be plenty of places within walking distance to hang out after the game in the years to come

• Like 1