Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

I may have been a little too flippant in denying the MLS's status as a major league, but it was really just an equally ridiculous response to the whole thought of just bulldozing everything for the sake of the soccer stadium. As I mentioned, soccer, the state fair, the flea market, and the race track can coexist on that land and all make it a great place to hang out. I just don't get the sense of getting rid of the flea market and race track if they can fit it all on there. I admit my personal feelings are tainted by my dislike of the game of soccer, but I still hope Nashville gets a team, and I would love to develop a love of the game. 

Point of reference: Atlanta is a significant outlier in soccer attendance. Their numbers aren't typical for the MLS. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, titanhog said:

The only issue I have are some of the condescending comments made about people who shop flea markets, go to races, etc.  I'm not one of those people who visit those "events"...but I also don't look down my nose at those people.  Do we need to belittle these people?

Indeed, to each their own... nothing wrong with going to flea markets and races in your spare time.  On the other hand, if you're someone who likes going to flea markets and races in your spare time who also is against the soccer stadium being built just because you don't like change EVEN THOUGH your preferred facilities will be improved in the process, then that person might deserve a little chiding.  

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

Indeed, to each their own... nothing wrong with going to flea markets and races in your spare time.  On the other hand, if you're someone who likes going to flea markets and races in your spare time who also is against the soccer stadium being built just because you don't like change EVEN THOUGH your preferred facilities will be improved in the process, then that person might deserve a little chiding.  

Yes.  There's a difference between that and just disparaging all people who like either of the aforementioned pastimes. 

• Like 4

On 10/3/2017 at 4:27 PM, PHofKS said:

Translation... "Detroit , get your act together!!!"    

No doubt some intentional leakage going on to spur others into stepping up. I would guess it's down to Sacramento in the west and Nashville/Detroit in the East.

Things are progressing (albeit slow as molasses in typical Detroit fashion) with the jail site. A Decision is expected in early December.

Below was the latest from a few days ago:

Gilbert’s soccer stadium moves forward with land deal

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/wayne-county/2017/10/05/wayne-county-jail-deal-gilbert-soccer-stadium/106320100/

Edited by urbanplanet17
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, urbanplanet17 said:

Things are progressing (albeit slow as molasses in typical Detroit fashion) with the jail site. A Decision is expected in early December.

Below was the latest from a few days ago:

Gilbert’s soccer stadium moves forward with land deal

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/wayne-county/2017/10/05/wayne-county-jail-deal-gilbert-soccer-stadium/106320100/

A decision on the land deal is expected in early December. I still think the IRS has to approve the bonds that were issued for the jail site can be moved. 

Im hoping red tape slows their process down, but I think the MLs wants to wait until Detroit solidies their bid 

I still say we hold out on PSC Metals moving and then build the stadium there.

Or......if we can get the inheritance lady who owns the Titans to buy into the Nashville soccer team and then we can use Titans stadium and not have to spend additional money on another stadium!

^ ^ ^ I agree that there is POTENTIAL...but we have been hearing this argument for decades, and attendance never seems to get bigger here in the States.  There are some outliers like Atlanta's brand new team selling 40-60,000 seats for some games---but will be interesting to see if they can sustain this.  After all, Atlanta has proven to be not very supportive of various pro franchises over the years.  

• Like 3

MLS still has a long ways to go...but it seems to be heading in the right direction.  NFL has a lot of negatives about it right now...and some high schools around the nation are actually giving up football altogether because of the injury risks.  Will be interesting to see what happens over the next 20 years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nashvylle said:

Does anyone not recognize the growth potential of the MLS? Do people actually think it will remain 17K average attendance 5, 10 years from now?

I'm not saying I don't want us to get a team, my initial dismissal of the MLS was entirely in response to a "bulldoze it" post with some added stank about "demographics," to make the point that the MLS is not big league enough to do away with all the other aspects of the fairgrounds site. Especially based on "potential." When the NHL moved to Nashville it had been around for 75+ years in its current iteration (lots of league tradition and history), it had seen success in California, Florida, and Texas, and it had a large tv audience.  The MLS isn't nothing but it's nowhere close to where the NHL was then. So team and stadium, yes; exclusive use of the fairgrounds site, no. 

• Like 2

Councilman Bob Mendes says the inclusion of the 10 acres of land fro development by the ownership group is a "non starter."

But, “The private development component is a key piece of the overall stadium plan," Clint Brewer, a spokesman for Ingram's MLS2Nashville, said in a statement. "The development will provide amenities that enhance the fan experience in a way that is critical to a successful MLS franchise. "The plan is 90 percent financed by private dollars, and the ownership group is making a significant financial investment in Nashville. The development piece is key to making the site work for this project.”

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2017/10/10/nashville-mls-soccer-stadium-plan-private-development-nonstarter-councilman-bob-mendes/747547001/

• Like 1