Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

5 minutes ago, PHofKS said:

That would make it the largest soccer specific stadium in the U S. per Wikipedia.

The new L A stadium is 'only' 27,000 capacity, so therefore it would become the second largest. Cincinnati (whom I think will be awarded the other franchise soon) will build a 21,080 seat stadium and Phoenix (whom I think will get one of the other two franchises) will hold about 21,000. The fourth will come from Raleigh, Sacramento or Detroit.

-------------------------

P.S.; Just for fun, I worked up some cards I was going to use to make a case on another website for Nashville hosting FIFA World Cup games in 2026. I never posted them, but here they are.

40830345491_fbbb0dbd9c_z.jpg

That has got to be the best skyline shot I've ever seen of Nashville.  It shows much of midtown as well as all of downtown and shows some of the region's rolling topography.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, PHofKS said:

That would make it the largest soccer specific stadium in the U S. per Wikipedia.

The new L A stadium is 'only' 27,000 capacity, so therefore it would become the second largest. Cincinnati (whom I think will be awarded the other franchise soon) will build a 21,080 seat stadium and Phoenix (whom I think will get one of the other two franchises) will hold about 21,000. The third and fourth will come from Raleigh, Sacramento or Detroit.

I wish the ownership group would build a smaller stadium, and use the savings to make a payment on the 10 acre development, easing a lot of the criticism of the deal. 

• Like 1

Well we know where Channel 4 stands on The Fairgrounds, yeesh. The author/broadcast went out of their way to talk about how everything is changing and nothing is staying the same didn't they?

BE SCARED, CHAAAAANNNNGGEEEE!!!!

"As designers worked, flea market vendor Suzanne Way asked questions and was angered at the answers. Some of the mixed-use buildings could be five to eight stories tall, she said.

"I don't see charm left," said Way, who said this development appeals not to ordinary people but to the population willing to pay $9 for a beer."

Did she go to any of the meetings, there were hundreds of soccer fans of all ages and races that where there in support of this. Nothing is being taken away from the public, the public has spoken and this is what the public wants. Just because it's not what you want doesn't mean it's being given away... 

I don't mean to pick on her, they just quoted her in the article and in the video. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

Well we know where Channel 4 stands on The Fairgrounds, yeesh. The author/broadcast went out of their way to talk about how everything is changing and nothing is staying the same didn't they?

BE SCARED, CHAAAAANNNNGGEEEE!!!!

"As designers worked, flea market vendor Suzanne Way asked questions and was angered at the answers. Some of the mixed-use buildings could be five to eight stories tall, she said.

"I don't see charm left," said Way, who said this development appeals not to ordinary people but to the population willing to pay $9 for a beer."

Did she go to any of the meetings, there were hundreds of soccer fans of all ages and races that where there in support of this. Nothing is being taken away from the public, the public has spoken and this is what the public wants. Just because it's not what you want doesn't mean it's being given away... 

I don't mean to pick on her, they just quoted her in the article and in the video. 

Translation: 'I am going to tell myself that anyone with a different vision for this land than me is a snobby elitist, so I don't have to admit to myself and others that over the years I have actually just become an old curmudgeon who is terrified of change, just like my mom was... oh god, I'm turning into my mother... how has it come to this? Am I 68 years old already? How is it 2018? I feel like I just went to the prom with johnny quarterback last week...nooooo!'

AAAAAAAAAAAND scene :cry:

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Haha 2

The last time I went to the fairgrounds site there was a wooden roller coaster there. To me,  as a non Davidson County resident, it's just a dead area.

Even with the soccer stadium, I'll still think of it as an in and out part of town once the game is over.

Edited by Alley

8 minutes ago, Alley said:

The last time I went to the fairgrounds site there was a wooden roller coaster there. To me,  as a non Davidson County resident, it's just a dead area.

Even with the soccer stadium, I'll still think of it as an in and out part of town once the game is over.

It’s be a nice little 10-20 minute stroll up to Tin Dog Tavern, Corsair Distilery and the new Cider Distillery and all the stuff on Houston Street. But as always there are not many sidewalks (if any) in the Wedgewood neighborhood. 

If the Ingram’s wanted some free advice they’d offer like 10 million to neighborhood to sidewalks every street close to the stadium. That would win some more people over that are worried about noise and people parking in their yards and such. 

Third round Lamar Hunt US Open Cup streaming live:

https://www.ussoccer.com/lamar-hunt-us-open-cup/open-cup-tournaments/2018-usoc/2018-us-open-cup-third-round/20180523-us-open-cup-third-round-nashville-sc-vs-mississippi-brilla-fc

Ha!  Even did the Preds goalie chant!!  A little bittersweet though...

Edited by timmay143
  • Thanks 1

After seeing that, I can understand why some would feel frustrated (mainly the people who operate and use the flea market)...since I'm sure they feel they are being pushed aside to smaller land out of the way.  But...they'll have much nicer digs...even though they'll have less parking.

The issue, I'm sure for some, is that there really won't be a place for the state fair (which needs to be moved somewhere else anyways).

On 5/18/2018 at 4:00 PM, nashvylle said:

I wish the ownership group would build a smaller stadium, and use the savings to make a payment on the 10 acre development, easing a lot of the criticism of the deal. 

A handout to a billionaire so that he can profit at taxpayers expense. That is Obscene.

It looks like Cincinnati will be the next team into the MLS. Per the Inquirer..... 

Major League Soccer is coming to Cincinnati next week, and league officials are likely bringing with them an invitation for Futbol Club Cincinnati to join their ranks.

Sources confirmed to The Enquirer that a major club announcement is coming Tuesday at Fountain Square and MLS commissioner Don Garber will be in attendance. 

Team and league officials declined to comment further on the nature of the announcement.

Perhaps there's nothing for officials to add, though, as Garber's presence for an announcement in Cincinnati points an invitation for FC Cincinnati to join MLS.

"Major soccer announcement" was the phrasing used as a not-so-subtle heads up prior to the December expansion announcement in Nashville. 

I would think they would become an instant rival, especially if the Columbus franchise moves to Austin (which is looking like a done deal, also).

• Like 1