Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

9 hours ago, Neigeville2 said:

What is up with Gilmore?  She was pro-transit and then came out against it, and now this.

As I’ve said before, she’s either an idiot or cynically self-promoting, either way I don’t know how someone could vote for her. 

1 hour ago, Binbin98 said:

I dont know if this has been said but North America won the bid to host the 2026 World Cup. Nashville is one of 22 north american cities selected as finalists to host it (possibly). If Nashville ends up hosting a few matches I will be super excited. I am not the biggest soccer fan, but I will return to Nashville in that case and visit the games myself at 28 lol.

23 cities. 16 will be chosen in 2020. We'll have the hotel rooms and our sports atmosphere and layout is second to none. My concern is Nissan is a dump and FIFA is pretentious. What kind of improvement commitment can we get in place in time for final selection?

12 hours ago, nashvylle said:

Erica Gilmore basically announces she won't vote for the MLS zoning changes. Getting 27 votes will be tough. Praying...

Don't worry still plenty of time for her to have her mind changed yet again.

• Like 2

Per channel 4, Nashville was just selected to host the world cup. Of course, last year they said we were advancing to the Stanley Cup Final, when we were actually only advancing to the conference final. So some one over there needs a new job. 

Also, I forgot to post, I went to the sounds game Saturday and saw someone wearing a "no MLS" shirt.  I found it very ironic given that the soccer lines were clearly visible on the baseball field. I gave him a dirty look. 

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 3:34 PM, PHofKS said:

Per this morning's discussion at the UP monthly meeting about Nashville's chances of hosting a World Cup game in 2026, I referred to the United Bid (USA, Mexico, Canada) document (500+ pages). 

This chart indicates which cities are competing for which slots in the schedule. Nashville is listed as a quarter finals candidate along with 10 other US cities for four spots.There are no Canadian or Mexican cities slotted for  quarters, semis or finals. by the way.

42520956701_bb159c6c33_b.jpg

Along with the quarters, the selected city would also host up to six preliminary games per this chart....

41797924264_b8429a4a45_b.jpg

So with 11 cities competing for four slots, that's about 3 cities vying  for each spot.

My rationale for further culling of the list, assumes that San Francisco is a given for one spot. The others are not so certain. I culled out four cities right away based on stadium location and/or hotel rooms and will not name them as we do not want to get into City vs. City 'stuff'. That would leave, in my opinion, six cities competing for three spots including Nashville.

So, add in the worldwide awareness of the unique Nashville brand, stadium proximity to abundant, top flight hotel rooms and the fact that Nashville knows how to throw a party, I like our chances.

And now, FIFA has officially ruled the Morocco bid to be 'high risk', but that doesn't disqualify them, so the decision will be left to a vote where, as I understand,  Morocco's vote, and every other nation's vote, counts the same as the US's does; i.e. the electoral college on steroids.

Now that the United Bid (Canada, USA, Mexico)  has been officially announced as the winner (134 to 65 over Morocco) of the 2026 World Cup, I thought I would bring back the above post in which I try to explain what Nashville's chances for hosting some games are.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Ironic that he is attending a game in a stadium funded via a much, much worse deal than the MLS team. 

You can add to the irony, that the stadium was financed in a similar fashion to what was done with the ballpark  as land was transferred to the developers for their own personal use.

Take a picture next time. It would be priceless with the proper caption.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Rockatansky said:

Unless it has severely deteriorated in the past couple of years, I wouldn't call Nissan a dump.

Comparatively its near the bottom. Jersey, LA, Dallas, Atlanta, Houston, San Fran all have billion dollar range new digs. Miami and Orlando have had significant recent updates. Philly and Baltimore are nicer than Nissan. Boston may be questionable. FedEx sucks but I'd assume DC is a lock.

Edited by DDIG

This is 8 years away. The Titans won't have a bottom tier stadium by then.  All teams go through cycles when it comes to major renovations. Those listed above will not be top of the line by the time these games occur. So maybe this plays in our favor because without a doubt Nashville with have to do some major renovations or build new to keep Titan's ownership happy.  I am guessing within the next 2-3 years there will be some very serious discussion, no matter the World Cup decision. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rockatansky said:

Unless it has severely deteriorated in the past couple of years, I wouldn't call Nissan a dump.

The playing surface has always been horrendous because many Titans games are placed less than 24 hours after TSU already chewed the field up. I personally wouldn’t call it a dump, I would just call it unremarkable and better than nothing. Like the Titans. ;) 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Pdt2f said:

The playing surface has always been horrendous because many Titans games are placed less than 24 hours after TSU already chewed the field up. I personally wouldn’t call it a dump, I would just call it unremarkable and better than nothing. Like the Titans. ;) 

Lol. Calling it a dump was harsh. Unremarkable is a good way to put it.

I do think there will be positive updates in the future for Nissan. I just worry a bit as we live in a climate now where people are actually trying to kill an amazing soccer stadium project to save some garbage buildings at a flea market.

• Like 3

It will be interesting when/if the new stadium, renovations to the Titans stadium come up and there is a bond issue and other things. Let's see what kinda people come out of the wood work. I'd put good money on it that it won't be a problem at all. 

Even if say, some deal was worked out that involved included land, like the MLS stadium. (however that hypothetical would work)

Someone said it earlier, but it's starting to look like it's not even about the Fairgrounds anymore (as they are getting everything they are asking for and it's all brand new) and about the type of people that the Fairgrounds people think like soccer. I know that is the fallback argument these days when people disagree with you on something. BUT, I have no other logical answer, it seems like the votes have been there to make it happen, all the buildings will be there, you literally can't move things away from the fairground by law.

What else do they want?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Experts weigh-in on Nashville's chances of securing one of the World Cup slots for 2026:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/06/13/the-world-cup-is-coming-to-america-lets-handicap.html?ana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

Can't take someone who thinks KC has a better shot than Nashville seriously.

Someone also said Nashville as redundant to Atlanta? These guys are making stuff up and don't seem to have much of a clue about Nashville.

Kansas City is larger in the metro area by around 200k. 

But I would definitely say Nashville is the "hotter" city, I've not read about KC getting the NFL draft (or even in consideration), or NHL All Star game or having CMA fest, or any other number of large events that call Nashville home.

Have they had big time friendlies like Nashville has had, with big attendance, I will claim ignorance on that. Having an MLS team would seem like a plus for them now, but we should have one by the time the World Cup roles around. 

Arrowhead is also old as all hell. (googling nosies) It was built in 1972 and doesn't seem like it has had any major upgrades besides new screens since 2009.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

Why not?  Kansas City is larger, has been a long time MLS market, and I dare say, is a more impressive city in a number of ways.  

Just not a hot market with any buzz or international travel interest. Midwest - longer flights from all over. Ancient stadium. Being an MLS market I think is completely meaningless. The games will sell out most everywhere.  Heck, Nashville sold 50k seats to a meaningless friendly match.

My two cents.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1