Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

1 hour ago, BnaBreaker said:

Why not?  Kansas City is larger, has been a long time MLS market, and I dare say, is a more impressive city in a number of ways.  

is larger,

Barely. In terms of metro population, only 200,000 more residents.

has been a long time MLS market

True.

is a more impressive city in a number of ways.  

011.jpg.6d7dc315395a9bea2ea294d38f3a19fe.jpg

Edited by nativetenn

A well thought out and rational comment. 

*checks for agenda*

Just kidding, just kidding. CLAP CLAP CLAP!!!

It took hell to make this happen. And it’s good for everyone. I’m not particularly fond of the 10 acres but damn, to make all this other stuff happen. It’s amazing!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

Kansas City is larger in the metro area by around 200k. 

But I would definitely say Nashville is the "hotter" city, I've not read about KC getting the NFL draft (or even in consideration), or NHL All Star game or having CMA fest, or any other number of large events that call Nashville home.

Have they had big time friendlies like Nashville has had, with big attendance, I will claim ignorance on that. Having an MLS team would seem like a plus for them now, but we should have one by the time the World Cup roles around. 

Arrowhead is also old as all hell. (googling nosies) It was built in 1972 and doesn't seem like it has had any major upgrades besides new screens since 2009.

2 hours ago, DDIG said:

Just not a hot market with any buzz or international travel interest. Midwest - longer flights from all over. Ancient stadium. Being an MLS market I think is completely meaningless. The games will sell out most everywhere.  Heck, Nashville sold 50k seats to a meaningless friendly match.

My two cents.

I agree that Nashville has it's obvious advantages too, but I don't see why one wouldn't be able to take someone seriously at the mere SUGGESTION that Kansas City might be above Nashville in this instance.  I mean, the two are at least comparable are they not?  I also just think it's a poor look when Nashville gets all uppity and disrespects it's elder cities just because we're the hot ticket at the moment.  That's what people from Atlanta like to do, and I hate it.  lol

1 hour ago, nativetenn said:

Barely. In terms of metro population, only 200,000 more residents.

True.

011.jpg.6d7dc315395a9bea2ea294d38f3a19fe.jpg

Ever been to Kansas City?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

I agree that Nashville has it's obvious advantages too, but I don't see why one wouldn't be able to take someone seriously at the mere SUGGESTION that Kansas City might be above Nashville in this instance.  I mean, the two are at least comparable are they not?  I also just think it's a poor look when Nashville gets all uppity and disrespects it's elder cities just because we're the hot ticket at the moment.  That's what people from Atlanta like to do, and I hate it.  lol

I have, 4 years ago passing through on the way back home from Denver. It's a really nice city-clean, good-looking skyline- and I confess it may not be fair for a 17 year old who stayed a night there to evaluate it, but it was a Saturday night and the place was dead downtown. There was nothing going on at all! Compared with Nashville, which is bustling with activity every day of the week, KC seemed kind of sleepy. To say KC is more impressive than Nashville in many ways is going out on a limb. But I do agree with you on the other points. It has more historical significance in American professional sports, is central in location, and like you said, its MLS team has a good track record.

Edited by nativetenn
  • Like 2

Shane Smiley just air quoted "master plan" this is the guy who got into a shoving match. 

Rick Williams says he hopes they listen to the citizens of Nashville. Eh hm, you aren't a citizen of Davidson county, haha. 

The lady with the Christmas village laying down the law, says she loves that they have worked with her and her vendors, and doesn't want people talking for their group.

• Like 4

On 6/13/2018 at 5:48 PM, BnaBreaker said:

How is Kansas City a so called "elder" city when it was created in 1850 and Nashville was created in 1789? 

Most people couldn't tell you a thing about Kansas City nor do they care about Kansas City. The only reason anyone would know about Kansas City at all is because of MLB and the NFL.

Edited by Ingram

23 minutes ago, Ingram said:

How is Kansas City a so called "elder" city when it was created in 1850 and Nashville was created in 1789? 

Most people couldn't tell you a thing about Kansas City nor do they care about Kansas City. The only reason anyone would know about Kansas City at all is because of MLB and the NFL.

I think when people refer to it as elder, they’re only referring to Kansas City’s status as a regionally significant city. Kansas City in the early 1900s was a much more populous and vibrant city than Nashville, due partially to the railroads and the cattle industry. Thus, they have some great architecture from the early part of the past century and many things that Nashville is just coming into in recent years. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Ingram said:

Kansas City was a large, established city long before Nashville was, and therefore, is a more 'mature' city, despite the fact that Nashville was established as a village before it.  

Also, most people couldn't tell you a thing about anything, or care about anything outside of their own field of view.  That isn't a metric for judging the value of anything, really.  

• Like 4

They've definitely made some interesting stadiums. Just perusing their "stadia" page. 

Kansas City's  MLS field. One of the pictures is the stadium converted for a concert, which is nice.

https://populous.com/project/childrens-mercy-park/

Baylor's Stadium (minus) the upper deck is nice. I like the open ended design with the brick and a big screen.

https://populous.com/project/mclane-stadium-at-baylor-university/

Metricon Stadium, Queensland. Super multi-use. Don't really care of the circle but the roof is unique. 

https://populous.com/project/metricon-stadium/

University of Minnesota's college football stadium. Obviously way bigger than we are looking at. But look at this curve, I like it.

https://populous.com/project/um-tcf-bank-stadium/

LIVESTRONGSportingPark-KansasCity-2011FarmAidConcert-990x465.jpg

baylor-slide-1.png

Metricon_2-990x465.jpg

UniversityofMinnesotaTCFBankStadium-Minneapolis-ExteriorDesign.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

They've definitely made some interesting stadiums.

Probably because they've made all the stadiums. I don't even know why firms like mine bother with having a sports/entertainment facility business group other than to provide them and HOK with supporting services.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Ingram said:

Everything's up to date in Kansas City. They've gone about as far as they can go. They went and built a skyscraper seven stories high, about as high as buildings ought to grow.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

There is much to admire in Kansas City. Numerous historic properties with outstanding architecture, a stunning vintage shopping district called Country Club Plaza, one of my favorite “roadside attraction” type museums-Steamboat Arabia Museum (a vessel that sank in the Missouri River in the 1850s and due to the shifting river channel ended up buried in a cornfield until the 1970s), Starlight Theatre (historic & enormous outdoor theatre similar to St. Louis’ Muny Theatre) which hosts Broadway touring shows, concerts,  and self-produced musical spectaculars, AND more fountains than Rome!

http://1856.com/

http://www.kcstarlight.com/

https://www.countryclubplaza.com/

https://www.visitkc.com/visitors/things-do/attractions/everything-you-need-know-about-fountains-kansas-city

Photo is from my first time at Starlight Theatre. August 2017 with the Broadway tour of “Something Rotten.”

I really wish they’d throw a few fountains our way. We need some. 

• Like 2